Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 2:53:48 AM EDT
I just started working with a young man who told me he was a Navy Corpsman.  He also told me he attended Scout Sniper Scout, CCQ and a host of other schools.  Now this was all before he found out I too had been in the Military.  He also told me that the M-240 machine gun was larger then a 7.62mm, closer in size to a 50 Cal.  Now that really set my "spidey sense" off, since I was 99% postive the 240 was a 7.62, and there is a big difference between the sizes of those rounds.
    Not that I am saying this dude is a BS artist, but why would a Navy Doc go through all that high speed training, unless he was with the Teams?  I didn't ask him because the way he talk was going I figured if he was assigned to a Team he would have talked about it also. My Dad was a Corpsman from the early to mid 60's, and I spoke to him last night and he thought the dudes tales were tall also.  Maybe things have changed after 9-11, but I have run into too many Rambo wanna-be's lately.
   I am not going to "out" him, it is just I want to know if I can count on this kid when things go south, or will be fold and cut and run since his stories just don't jibe up.  Any info would be greatly appreciated it.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:58:44 AM EDT
[#1]
ya he is full of shit
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just started working with a young man who told me he was a Navy Corpsman.  He also told me he attended Scout Sniper Scout, CCQ and a host of other schools.  Now this was all before he found out I too had been in the Military.  He also told me that the M-240 machine gun was larger then a 7.62mm, closer in size to a 50 Cal.  Now that really set my "spidey sense" off, since I was 99% postive the 240 was a 7.62, and there is a big difference between the sizes of those rounds.
    Not that I am saying this dude is a BS artist, but why would a Navy Doc go through all that high speed training, unless he was with the Teams?  I didn't ask him because the way he talk was going I figured if he was assigned to a Team he would have talked about it also. My Dad was a Corpsman from the early to mid 60's, and I spoke to him last night and he thought the dudes tales were tall also.  Maybe things have changed after 9-11, but I have run into too many Rambo wanna-be's lately.
   I am not going to "out" him, it is just I want to know if I can count on this kid when things go south, or will be fold and cut and run since his stories just don't jibe up.  Any info would be greatly appreciated it.  Thanks in advance.

He's a POS liar. One of the guys on my VFD is a retired E-8 or E-9 Navy Corpsman (pharmacist mate) & has been to all kinds of high speed schools while assigned to a Marine unit, however, he was saying back when he was still in they would not send a Corpsman to Scout Sniper school as that's not his job.

The M240 is a 7.62mm medium machine gun produced by Fabrique Nationale as a replacement for the M60 Series machine gun.

I'd not trust you're 6 to the liar.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info gents.  I'll be 42 in April, so it takes an awful lot to impress me anymore.  I am a former SAC USAF Security Policeman, been through some schools back in the day.  I always let some shovel their own shit and set themselves up, but this dude really took the cake.  Also, my Dad told me he has a book written by a Corpsman who was assigned to a Seal Unit in Nam.  He carried a Stoner even though the Team technically forbid it.  
    Anyhow, I won't call this kid out, besides myself he and I are the only Veterans out of 7 people.  I was working with several Vets at my last site, had two young Marines who had just gotten out.  One did 2 tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, and this kid NEVER talked about the stuff he did unless it was around a brother Vet who had also been in the shit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I went through some "cool" HSLD schools as a Corpsman, but I was Recon.  And S/S was not one of them, as was stated it's not part of the "job description".

Ask him what his NEC was..........if it was not HM8427 Recon Doc or for the SEAL HM's (I forgot their NEC#) he is full of crap. HM8404's (FMF Corpsmen) are stationed at all the MC bases, etc and he may have gotten some indirect hands on training, but not formally trained as a sniper.

I shot all kinds of weaponry, but most of it was not directly related to my job, just more like "Hey Doc, shoot this one.........".

Doc
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to sound stupid but what does NEC stand for?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to sound stupid but what does NEC stand for?  

Navy Enlisted Classification. The Navy version of an Army 'MOS'

Here's a list of the NEC's for an HM (Corpsman):

NEC   Description                                

8401  Search & Rescue Medical Technician

8402  Submarine Force IDC

8403  FMF Recon IDC

8404  Field Medical Service Technician

8406  Aerospace Medical Technician

8407  Radiation Health Technician

8408  Cardiovascular Technician

8409  Aerospace Physiology Technician

8416  Nuclear Medicine Technician

8425  Surface Force IDC

8427  FMF Recon Corpsman

8432  Preventive Medicine Technician

8434  Hemodialysis/Apheresis Technician

8451  X-Ray Technician (Basic)

8452  X-Ray Technician (Advanced)

8454  Electroneurodiagnostic Technician

8463  Optician

8466  Physical Therapy Technician

8467  Occupational Therapy Assistant

8472  Biomedical Photography Technician

8478  Biomedical Equipment Tech (Adv)

8479  Biomedical Equipment Tech (Basic)

8482  Pharmacy Technician

8483  Surgical Technologist (Also 8783)

8485  Psychiatry Technician

8486  Urology Technician

8489  Orthopedic Cast Room Technician

8491  Special Operations IDC (This NEC   detailed through PERS-401)

8492  Special Operations Technician (This NEC detailed through PERS-401)

8493  Medical Deep Sea Diving Technician

8494  Deep Sea Diving IDC

8495  Dermatology Technician

8496  Mortician

8503  Histopathology Technician

8505  Cytotechnologist

8506  Medical Laboratory Technician (Adv)

8541  Respiratory Therapy Technician

8707  Field Service Dental Technician

8708  Dental Hygienist

8752  Dental Lab Technician (Basic)

8753  Dental Lab Technician (Adv)

8765  Dental Lab Tech (Maxillofacial)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I went through some "cool" HSLD schools as a Corpsman, but I was Recon.  And S/S was not one of them, as was stated it's not part of the "job description".

Ask him what his NEC was..........if it was not HM8427 Recon Doc or for the SEAL HM's (I forgot their NEC#) he is full of crap. HM8404's (FMF Corpsmen) are stationed at all the MC bases, etc and he may have gotten some indirect hands on training, but not formally trained as a sniper.

I shot all kinds of weaponry, but most of it was not directly related to my job, just more like "Hey Doc, shoot this one.........".
Doc

Pointman is on point here.......No formal schools per se (unless you're a Recon or SEAL Doc), but tons and tons of unofficial hands-on practice with every weapons syatem the Marines have if you're an HM-8404. In short, he's shoveling it pretty thick.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he is just trying to talk big to impress the non Vets at our site.  I've been around enough dudes like this to check out EVERYTHING they say before I start to trust them.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was in Corps School we had a couple of Gunners Mates (GM1's) that were SEALs being trained as Corpsmen.

I eventually served with the FMFPAC, with ANGLICO (Air/Naval Gunfire Liaison Company) and 5th Recon which is now 3d Recon at Camp Schwab Okinawa
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I was in Corps School we had a couple of Gunners Mates (GM1's) that were SEALs being trained as Corpsmen.

A lot of SWCC GMs cross rated to HM because HM, until several years ago, was not a source rate for SWCC. And having an HM in a SWCC unit was always a good idea...This has since changed....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to be carefull checking him out, he is all buddy buddy with our Sup.  I HATE a Vet who fronts themself off as a big shot.  I'd rather work with someone who flipped burgers in the chow hall and admited to it then some wanna be.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#12]
One of my instructors at Corps School was a GM who cross rated to HM. He did go to Scout Sniper school. I have heard of a few corpsmen doing this. But most corpsmen who go to sniper schools actually go to division schools, not the holy of holies - "Scout/Sniper"...

A friend of mine who is a corpsman with 3/5 went to the division sniper school and another in 3/5 went to the division machine gun school.

But anyone who has spent 30 minutes with division had better f'ing know what caliber the 240G is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot, I got out in 88 and I know what caliber a 240 is!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Shoot, I got out in 88 and I know what caliber a 240 is!  

Ya, but then again, you're a cool ex mall ninja
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ha-Ha there Shrike 9, go back to the SP site!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ha-Ha there Shrike 9, go back to the SP site!  

Yes Sir
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn't know you lurked around here too!   This boy needs to so some serious smack talkin't to con an old SAC SP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Didn't know you lurked around here too!   This boy needs to so some serious smack talkin't to con an old SAC SP.

What can I say, I thrive on smack talk from a OLD SAC sky cop

The last good ass chewing I ever got was up in Minot from a OLD SAC NCO all others pale in compariosn
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I say, I thrive on smack talk from a OLD SAC sky cop

The last good ass chewing I ever got was up in Minot from a OLD SAC NCO all others pale in compariosn

Why Not Minot, Freezin's The Reason! Spent my first 3 years there.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
8541 Respiratory Therapy Technician

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Did he mean the M-240 was a larger weapon( thasn say a M-60) or fired a larger round?

Interesting info and look who wrote it!
www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed2.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
No, he said it fired a larger cartridge then the M-60, his exact words were "It is bigger then the M-60 round, closer to the .50 cal Barrett. "  He claimed he was trained on the Barrett, so I would imagine he would know what a .50 looks like.  Maybe it is me, but there is a HUGE size difference between a .308 and a .50 cal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]
They might be able to verify what he did here.

There is a HM2 that I know who won the Bronze star in the Sandbox for pulling a wounded Marine out of a minefield while under fire. No bragging or sea stories from him. Damn fine sailor.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I am not too concerned, since he is assigned to two sites about 15 miles from where I work, I am just leery of dudes like him.  We work Security for a "secure Govt" facility, and I sure as heck do not want some wanna be working with me.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#25]
He should just be proud of being a vet and not worry about being the Gunshow/SEAL/NINJA
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool they have thier own classifacation for Respiratory Therapist. I am Registered Respiratory and I wondered if I joined the Navy would I beable to get that job. Also would they give some rank from the start.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cool they have thier own classifacation for Respiratory Therapist. I am Registered Respiratory and I wondered if I joined the Navy would I beable to get that job. Also would they give some rank from the start.

How much college time do you have?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I have my 2 year Associates degree.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

An AS would probably get you in as an E-4, maybe E-5. RTs have always been in demand.Talk to a recruiter and see.  The Navy / Army is a good place to practice your RT skills with great autonomy if you first prove your competence.

I did it for 6 years and loved every minute of it.  

If you were an RN you could apply for a nurse corps commission. IIRC a two year RN could enter as an Ensign, and a 4 year as a LTJG. Of course that was 1992. No telling what it is today.

RTs are still under appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Ask him what color the boat house is at Great Lakes.  :-)

Just kidding.  

As already claimed by a few on here, BS.  Get him to bring in his DD214 and see if it is listed.  Or, have him bring is a certificate of course completion.  I got one for each of the few courses I got to take.  

If he will lie about this, can you trust him with anything else?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top