Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 10:09:09 AM EDT
Last night it was lightly misting at my house and thunder off in the distance. Every time before it thundered - about 3 seconds - my motion lights would all go on at the same time. Anyone know what would make them do this? It was not raining hard or anything enough to turn them on and the thunder was miles in the distance. Maybe something electrical?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe the lighning was setting them off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
maybe the lighning was setting them off.

The lightning from miles away was settin off my motion detector? I just don't get what you are saying i guess
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how the motion sensor works. If it uses radio waves then lightning could easily set them off. Ever drive around with your radio on and a big lightnight strikes nearby, and then your radio signal goes to static for a couple seconds? Lightning gives off lots of radio waves.

It wouldn't matter much if it was 1 or 10 or 100 miles away, as radio waves travel at the speed of light.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh sorry that was me I was trying to watch your TV and would jump wit every strike.

Electric charge maybe?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Depends on how the motion sensor works. If it uses radio waves then lightning could easily set them off. Ever drive around with your radio on and a big lightnight strikes nearby, and then your radio signal goes to static for a couple seconds? Lightning gives off lots of radio waves.

It wouldn't matter much if it was 1 or 10 or 100 miles away, as radio waves travel at the speed of light.

well, makes sense i guess seeing how the it matches the lightning/thunder format. But it has never done it before which is why I was asking. So maybe it was a different kind of lightning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top