Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2017 8:39:01 AM EDT
We are in the (market) for a new dog. We want a dog that is medium to large, doesn't shed much and is good around other animals and kids (we have a 7 year-old boy). Full-sized poodles and labradoodles came up on the searches for compatible dogs, but, so did the Native American Indian dogs (NAID). The NAID match our requirements perfectly, and are beautiful dogs. We have a bunch of acreage for them to run around on (unfenced) backed up by National Forest. I know the NAID's aren't true Native American dogs, but bred to look and act like what those dogs were thought to be like.
Do any of you own one or have ever owned one? Pro's and cons?
They seem really expensive, from $1500 to $1800 from the few breeders out there.

How about the full-sized poodles and labradoodles? Current and past owners how did you like them and do you think they would be a good dog for our requirements?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not a male golden retriever?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Get you a Catahoula.  Never had one that wasn't free and I've had several over the years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Short hair Weimaraner?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]

ETA labradoodle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Doodles are dumb, ok?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
New Foundland is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Hard to find a more loyal and gentle dog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Chupacabra's are native to the America South West.  Once trained they make a good family pet and are very protective.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Hard to find a more loyal and gentle dog.
View Quote
Quoted:
We are in the (market) for a new dog. We want a dog that is medium to large, doesn't shed much and is good around other animals and kids (we have a 7 year-old boy). Full-sized poodles and labradoodles came up on the searches for compatible dogs, but, so did the Native American Indian dogs (NAID). The NAID match our requirements perfectly, and are beautiful dogs. We have a bunch of acreage for them to run around on (unfenced) backed up by National Forest. I know the NAID's aren't true Native American dogs, but bred to look and act like what those dogs were thought to be like.
They seem really expensive, from $1500 to $1800 from the few breeders out there.

How about the full-sized poodles and labradoodles? Current and past owners how did you like them and do you think they would be a good dog for our requirements?

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 Labradoodles a little over 2 years old. They weigh 65 and 72 lbs. Love to play, good with kids, great watchdogs (they don't miss a thing) and they don't shed nearly as much as a Lab.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
1. American Staffordshire

2. Shiba Inu (Much WOW)

3. Adopt don't shop
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Giant Schnauzer
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2. Shiba Inu (Much WOW)

3. Adopt don't shop
View Quote
OP, don't adopt a medium to large breed dog with kids in the house.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
American Bulldog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#15]
We have a miniature Schnauzer which is the great with our kids and is one of the smartest dogs I have every been around.  If we had more room we would entertain the idea of a standard or giant Schnauzer.  Smart, easy to train, doesn't shed, good with kids and pretty cool looking.  

Standard Poodles are also good dogs but are more of a mixed bag on temperament.

The NAID looks interesting but from the look of it you would be covered in hair in the spring time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2. Shiba Inu (Much WOW)

3. Adopt don't shop
View Quote
I adopted.

Dog wasn't given the full set of Parvo shots and became sick with the disease the night after we adopted her. About 7 days in solitary confinement at the vet for treatment cost about 1k and left the dog with one hell of a case of separation anxiety. She still suffers from the after effects of the disease, extremely sensitive to pretty much all dog food, even the expensive stuff. Nasty shits and has trouble shitting sometimes. Otherwise a good dog.

I will never adopt again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get you a Catahoula.  Never had one that wasn't free and I've had several over the years.
View Quote
This. Best dog ever. Miss my boy...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Our Golden hardly sheds especially compared to our Shepherd, Great Dane and just about every other dog we have had.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Please don't let your dogs free range. It's bad for the other animals and neighbors, and bad for the dog.

I have three Catahoula Leopard Dogs and really like them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Semper Fi Dog rescue.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
If it's going to be a 'Rez Dog, you need to find one that is known for its flavor, as well as other attributes.

When my 25 year old son was 3, we visited some friends on Pine Ridge, and he got to be friends with a cute little mutt named 'Wahanpi'. None of us knew that his name roughly translated to 'Soup', until the pup became dinner one night. He and I still enjoyed a bowl of Wahanpi, and joke about it today.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Both of my dogs have Native American names. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Call me ignorant......

But just what the fuck is a NativeAmericanIndianDog........
Sounds like made up shit to me...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

The Native American Indian Dog is a hypoallergenic large breed dog. They are known for their intelligence and docility. They come in a variety of colorings and range in size from 23-34 inches and 55-120 lbs. They are an extremely healthy dog and have a life span of 14-19 years. There are no known genetic health defects in this breed. They are very versatile dogs and are very eager to learn and please their owners. They rarely bark and they are very good with other animals, dogs, and small children. The Native American Indian dog is a very social animal and does best being with their owners as much as possible or with the companionship of another dog. They are most happy with a large fenced back yard where they can have time to run off leash and also do great indoors with the family so long as they can go outside and play in the backyard too. They are not crate trainable and do not do well locked up indoors alone. They have no doggy smell and rarely shed, but mulch their waterproof winter undercoat once in the spring. The Native American Indian Dog is a very athletic, hypoallergenic, happy, docile, intelligent, social dog. They are amazing! The Native American Indian Dog is its own registered breed and it is registered with the International Designer Canine Registry, America’s Pet Registry and Certified Pet Registration.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#25]
That settles it. A siberian husky renamed to NAID
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Call me ignorant......

But just what the fuck is a NativeAmericanIndianDog........
Sounds like made up shit to me...
View Quote
Name him "Mutt n Fancy"
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/bVpEdGB-282629.JPG

The Native American Indian Dog is a hypoallergenic large breed dog. They are known for their intelligence and docility. They come in a variety of colorings and range in size from 23-34 inches and 55-120 lbs. They are an extremely healthy dog and have a life span of 14-19 years. There are no known genetic health defects in this breed. They are very versatile dogs and are very eager to learn and please their owners. They rarely bark and they are very good with other animals, dogs, and small children. The Native American Indian dog is a very social animal and does best being with their owners as much as possible or with the companionship of another dog. They are most happy with a large fenced back yard where they can have time to run off leash and also do great indoors with the family so long as they can go outside and play in the backyard too. They are not crate trainable and do not do well locked up indoors alone. They have no doggy smell and rarely shed, but mulch their waterproof winter undercoat once in the spring. The Native American Indian Dog is a very athletic, hypoallergenic, happy, docile, intelligent, social dog. They are amazing! The Native American Indian Dog is its own registered breed and it is registered with the International Designer Canine Registry, America’s Pet Registry and Certified Pet Registration.
View Quote
Well, that doesn't sound like a scam.

Give me an AKC dog from a reputable breeder in good standing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Op look into Carolina Dogs. They are the real native american dog. I had one and it is the only dog I would pay money for other than a Rhodesian. A female Carolina dog fits your needs. Or better yet two females.

carolina yellow dog - Google Search
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Native American Indian dogs?  Never heard of them.  After reading about them, might as well call them mutts.  Not that that is a bad thing.

Had a Catahoula before, and was a great dog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ETA labradoodle.
View Quote
All the labradoodle's I have known have been really awesome dogs! Full of fun, playful and always happy!

Probably the perfect family pooch.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Op look into Carolina Dogs. They are the real native american dog. I had one and it is the only dog I would pay money for other than a Rhodesian. A female Carolina dog fits your needs. Or better yet two females.

carolina yellow dog - Google Search
View Quote
Really great dogs. Also known as American Dingo. It's not uncommon to find one at the dog pound.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA labradoodle.
View Quote
It's the cover of one of my novels.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Native American Indian dogs?  Never heard of them.  After reading about them, might as well call them mutts.  Not that that is a bad thing.

Had a Catahoula before, and was a great dog.
View Quote
A mutt can be a bad thing, designer mutts too. And it's dirty to charge crazy money for a designer mutt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is a native american indian dog?
Ive heard of rez dogs, their just some scamp usually.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not get a known breed since you have kids?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, I'm sure that's an accurate depiction
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
You could always check with Joker1 and see what kind of rescue dog he has that might meet your needs...

Semper Fi Rescue
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Heres your native american indian dog

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What is a native american indian dog?
Ive heard of rez dogs, their just some scamp usually.
View Quote
And often missing a leg, like Val Kilmer's dog "Jimmy" in the film 'Thunderheart'.

"James Looks Twice? You're under arrest. Shape-shift and you can have some milk..."
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#43]
For pets:

It is worth it to some people to pay enormous sums of money to find a pet that has a particular look, has a particular pedigree or has some story behind its breed. But, when it comes to temperament and basic human interaction, nothing will tell you more than spending some time with the dog first.....which is why most of my dogs have been adoptions without much regard to breed. My best dogs have been free.

For working dogs:

You generally get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Never heard of this breed, does it sit around and get drunk?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ba-dum-tsss...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Standard doxie
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#47]
What about an Airedale terrier, I don't see where anybody has mentioned them yet.

Seems like they fall within your size range, don't shed much and are friendly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What about an Airedale terrier, I don't see where anybody has mentioned them yet.

Seems like they fall within your size range, don't shed much and are friendly.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60642/download-282893.JPG
View Quote
My neighbor has an airedale. Friendly as can be but dumb as a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL  I was kind of thinking along the same lines.. that he was trying to say rez dog in a PC manner.. I learned something new today.

Rez dogs....
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top