Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2012 8:01:08 PM EDT
That is, nations with modern militaries and in several cases, part of NATO.
Greece- G3

Estonia- AK4

Portgual- G3

Turkey- G3

Brazil- M964 (FAL)

And this isn't taking into account the various large military units that still use it, i.e. Chilean Mountain Troops, Latvian National Guard, lots of Pakistan and Indian units, etc...

And of course, lots of 3rd world countries still use them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:09:24 PM EDT

The rumor I heard was the Brazilian military wanted M-16s, like many of their National Guard (think Trupa de Elite) and SOF dudes carry, and were told, no.

I think that all the Baltic states transitioned to 5.56 rifles for the regulars.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:12:53 PM EDT
That Greek guy looks tough. The female Turkish soldiers look pretty hot for being in uniform.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:19:13 PM EDT
Quoted:
That Greek guy looks tough. The female Turkish soldiers look pretty hot for being in uniform.

The thing about most armies, and even our NATO allies, is that since decent jobs are hard to come by for youngish folks in many nations, and they don't have the cash to equip, or even go into the field like we do.

They study and run. Now, I've generally been exposed to the best guys the foreign militaries have to offer, but they can often attract quality personnel, and physical training is the cheapest training.

However, even the British, for example, are at least two generations behind our general level of battlefield command and control systems, for example, to name one example. If we demob'd the US Army and Marine Corps tomorrow, we'd probably still have 20 years of innovation on our nearest rivals.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:22:41 PM EDT
Check out the rest of their out dated equipment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:24:23 PM EDT

Quoted:

The rumor I heard was the Brazilian military wanted M-16s, like many of their National Guard (think Trupa de Elite) and SOF dudes carry, and were told, no.

I think that all the Baltic states transitioned to 5.56 rifles for the regulars.

Not the Estonians.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:24:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:25:40 PM EDT

Quoted:

1-2% of GDP doesn't get you much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:26:41 PM EDT
Thankfully we aren't going to war with Estonia or we'd be done.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:28:26 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

1-2% of GDP doesn't get you much.

Sucks to be them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:28:55 PM EDT
Turkey is going to have a bunch of sore shoulders when they duke it out with Syria

Where can I get a Brazil hat, anyone?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:29:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:31:28 PM EDT
Sweden may or may not still be issuing AK4s to the home guard?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:33:21 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Swiss militia I have seen in the field had what looked like early 80s us web gear.  

With my personal gear(nvgs-irlasers lights' body armor)  and training id be a God.  With my. Mil stuff id be a intergalactic warrior.  My kindle is being dumb. Bear with me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:42:25 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the Estonians.

They use 5.56 Galils with reserves getting AK-4s and AKMs . They also use M-14s for DMR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:53:35 PM EDT
Quoted:
Sweden may or may not still be issuing AK4s to the home guard?

Swede1896 would know, but I think the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:57:48 PM EDT
Quoted:
Having old 308s seems to go with having no modern body armor in most of those pictures, I think.  

How do you shoot a g3 with a radio clipped to your shoulder?

With an extremely tough radio.

But I think the Greeks are down to making "pew-pew" noises and cutting back on electricity for charging batteries.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:04:07 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the Estonians.

They use 5.56 Galils with reserves getting AK-4s and AKMs . They also use M-14s for DMR.

Ok, I might be spliting hairs, but they have 6000 regulars and 220,000 reserves. They have around 10,000 Galils and tens of thousands of AK4's.

The regular soldier in the field is going to be using an AK4. At least as of 2012.

Most of the countries above use 5.56 rifles in their military in special units, but not as the main issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:19:54 PM EDT

Quoted:

Either one of us is having a hard time telling the sexes apart, or one of us is gay... because I kinda want to put my dick in the Greek "guy."

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:21:56 PM EDT
Is that a BHP in the Brasil guy's holster?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:24:26 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

Either one of us is having a hard time telling the sexes apart, or one of us is gay... because I kinda want to put my dick in the Greek "guy."

When in Greece...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:34:31 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the Estonians.

They also rock MP5SDs for some applications. I don't know if those were SF soldiers I met, though. There was a bit of a Language barrier. Their English wasn't bad, per se, but we had difficulty conversing with them. No judgment here, though. My Estonian is even worse.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:35:32 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When in Greece...
lol... before posting that I had to make the decision, based on my experience here, that Sherrick is a stand-up guy and isn't going to change the pic on me.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:56:55 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When in Greece...
lol... before posting that I had to make the decision, based on my experience here, that Sherrick is a stand-up guy and isn't going to change the pic on me.

LOL, I didn't even think about it.

Wish I had.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:57:43 PM EDT

Quoted:

Is that a BHP in the Brasil guy's holster?

Hard to tell.  Could be, but as far as I know they never issued them.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:59:22 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

When in Greece...

Not to mention I don't think any of the Turkish soldiers are female?

Maybe he's just making a funny?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:01:12 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

When in Greece...

Not to mention I don't think any of the Turkish soldiers are female?

Maybe he's just making a funny?  

Tried to, didn't get there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:10:58 PM EDT
Most Turkish units who would see any sort of combat have HK33's available to them. In some cases AK47's too. But yeah, G3 is still standard issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:12:03 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When in Greece...

LOL, I didn't even think about it.

Wish I had.
crap, maybe I shouldn't have given you any ideas

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:13:06 PM EDT
No wonder Greece is broke.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:18:55 PM EDT
*shrugs* I don't actually find this a surprise at all. Those are some fine battle rifle specimens.

I want a g3...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:19:38 PM EDT

New 5.56 FAL Brazil is developing:

Will replace the rifle pictured above. Too bad they don't sell those here. I want a FAL but the cost of ammo keeps me from buying any battle rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:21:40 PM EDT
It seems the G3 design has something over the FAL.

Iranian marines
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:26:38 PM EDT

Quoted:

I kinda want to put my dick in the Greek "guy."

That how they do.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:29:43 PM EDT
Quoted:

Iranian marines
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_okE2fz_Pef8/S8Xklrpd-yI/AAAAAAAACGc/gdwIsctXOTA/s1600/528660_orig.jpg

They all have such pretty epaulettes I wonder how would one of those silly Iranian parades look if a 1000lbs bomb is dropped in the middle of all those guys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:37:19 PM EDT
Quoted:
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as84/imbel_md97.jpg

New 5.56 FAL Brazil is developing:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CZTeWSC1hJU/Tr4UetfZZnI/AAAAAAAAFog/HU42ZYR7l3o/s1600/IA-2+ia202.jpg

Will replace the rifle pictured above. Too bad they don't sell those here. I want a FAL but the cost of ammo keeps me from buying any battle rifle.

Meh, para fal in 7.62 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. IA2, is like the SCAR for the US military. In use, but nobody cool gets one, and the cool kids don't want one...

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:39:54 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iranian marines

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_okE2fz_Pef8/S8Xklrpd-yI/AAAAAAAACGc/gdwIsctXOTA/s1600/528660_orig.jpg

They all have such pretty epaulettes I wonder how would one of those silly Iranian parades look if a 1000lbs bomb is dropped in the middle of all those guys.

Gangnam style?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:42:01 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Iranian marines

Gangnam style?  

I was thinking more like Lockheed Martin style
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:46:18 PM EDT
Quoted:
Turkey is going to have a bunch of sore shoulders when they duke it out with Syria

Where can I get a Brazil hat, anyone?

If you REALLY want one, I can get you one. It'll take some time though...

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:46:48 PM EDT
Quoted:

Not the Estonians.

The Estonians had Galils when I was with them in 2008.  Some (drivers) had Galil SAR's, but Joe Tentpeg had Galil rifles with 35rd mags.  I know there are/were 7.62 NATO battle rifles given to them, but I didn't see any with their Infantry and Motorized Infantry units at all.

I have seen their snipers bring Galil ARM's in 7.62 NATO to Sniper Competitions in Finland, and I think they were reserves.  I have pics of all examples mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:48:55 PM EDT
Quoted:

Iranian marines

Iranian SF use Chinese M16A1s.

Seems like the only countries that still use battle rifles are poor ones or countries that don't expect to fight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:51:12 PM EDT
Quoted:

Iranian marines

Price, and everybody knows that German stamped metal is better than Russian stamped metal. Notice that all the countries who could afford it used FALs (except us of course).
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:11:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iranian marines

Price, and everybody knows that German stamped metal is better than Russian stamped metal. Notice that all the countries who could afford it used FALs (except us of course).

Not entirely true. Mexico and Turkey replaced the FAL with the G3 for the most part as did Germany.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:43:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:47:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:48:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:14:44 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iranian marines

Iranian SF use Chinese M16A1s.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pnNV0mqbeWk/TapY49RjqlI/AAAAAAAACuA/d47MhyiJMok/s1600/S-5.56+assault+Rifle.2.jpg

Seems like the only countries that still use battle rifles are poor ones or countries that don't expect to fight.

Why does Iran use US camo? And why do they have 20 round magazines in the rifle but chest rigs that would only work with 30s?
More important, who the fuck do they think they are with those Gunny rolls?

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:53:23 AM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Most Turkish units who would see any sort of combat have HK33's available to them. In some cases AK47's too. But yeah, G3 is still standard issue.

Hk ceased manufacturing the g3 and hk33 ages ago. Where so they get replacement parts or new rifles? Does Pakistan still have a plant?

Turkey manufactures HK weapons itself, under license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makina_ve_Kimya_Endustrisi_Kurumu
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:01:34 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iranian marines

Not entirely true. Mexico and Turkey replaced the FAL with the G3 for the most part as did Germany.

Actually.... Germany was quite happy with the "G1" (FAL), and only went in another direction when Belgium wouldn't grant them a manufacturing licence (seems the Belgians were still a bit "butt hurt" over that whole WW2 thing. ).

...... then they looked at SIG rifles as the "G2".

..........................and finally settled on a copy of the Spanish CETME as the "G3".

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:33:28 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having old 308s seems to go with having no modern body armor in most of those pictures, I think.  

How do you shoot a g3 with a radio clipped to your shoulder?

With an extremely tough radio.

Top pic?

Nah.

While the radio would be much better on the non firing side, it is not really in the way,  it is clipped to a strap on the LBE/webgear.  Tuck the butt of the rifle under the strap and it forms a nice pocket.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:43:20 AM EDT
Quoted:

Not every nation has the money to throw away on changing uniforms and gear every decade. Nor do they need to portray being the worlds superpower with the latest high tech gear
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top