Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2002 11:44:07 PM EDT
I am 38 years old previous military experience and am considering joining the guard. I am presently in Texas with a relocation to the PRK most likely in my future.

Anyone here in the Texas NG?

Thanks, John
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Im kinda in the same boat you are, been out for 3 years thinking of going to the guard, Im 30, But I also know that there is a chance that I could have to wear the Sky Blue of the U.N. and  I refuse to do that....otherwise I would be all over it...
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think if you're prior service, you skip basic and go straight to your unit.

I'm prior NG and have been considering reupping myself. Thinking, thinking, thinking...
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wondering.....what type of a unit would you be joingin up with....what MOS?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think if you're prior service, you skip basic and go straight to your unit.

I'm prior NG and have been considering reupping myself. Thinking, thinking, thinking...
View Quote

if you are prior service and have been out less than 2 years you can skip basic.  Back 2 summers ago when i was at ITB, we had 2 prior enlisted in my company alone who had served in special forces (18E and 18C) but were out for 10 years (both were hovering 40 years old).  They said they were going to regular units and had to go through a re orientation program to get back into SF after they graduated ITB and were sent off to a unit.   cnt remember the 18cs name but the 18E was Spc Murray or Murry.  He had been bumped down from e-6 and the other guy was bumped fown to e4 from SFC.  There was also a pv2 who had a 7id patch and a CIB who was a cop after panama for like 8 years and he was going through again.  He had been a SSG before.
As far as joining the guard well hope you are in a good unit.  Its a shame but some of the units are the exact stereotype people have of the guard
View Quote

Ouch, didn't realize the requirement to go back through absic, though I realize the reasons for. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Ropes, why you going to Kali, new job?

Not liking n Texas?

There are some new plants going up here and in Oklahoma.

Let me know.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it depends on a lot of different things.  I didn't have to go through again, and I got out in 1995.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who joins the service today, Guard or active duty, had better PLAN on being deployed.  Your kidding yourself you think otherwise.  If that fits I'd say our forces are starving for good talent.  Clinton surely drove out most of it.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Have you thought of going Regular again?  I'm prior RA and tried going back RA after 9/11, but my age disqualified me.  Make sure you totally accept the probability of getting called up.  Too many of my buds saw their Reserve units fall apart after returning from the Gulf War.  The men never thought it would happen!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Free advice...

Don't.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not sure of the unit being in the Dallas area I will probably end up in a Mech Unit but my goal is to end up in a light infantry or air cav unit (Kali).

I know I would get deployed - no biggie it is part of the game and whats the point in joining if you arent ready to deploy. I was a gas turbine mechanic in the Navy for 6 years.

TX Lewis I would be transfering for work and family reasons. It is not a sure thing and I am not looking forward to it. We will see what happens - when are we shooting?

Thanks All I will let you know what happens, I am waiting for the weekend to end so I can talk to a recruiter.

Ropes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top