Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 7:00:22 AM EDT
Who all is going?  I'm going to be there on the 14th and 15th.  If you've never been there, it is worth while.  Unfortunately, every year I go there our department is adding another name or two.  

The plusses of going are the fellowship is great, there is usually a cold beer to be found and it’s to pay tribute to our fallen bothers and sisters.

The down side of going, is somewhere along the line you’ll get a lump in your throat while in uniform.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been to the ceremony, but I have visited the memorial. It's something all officers should see at least once. The names of two officers from my previous department are there...one of them was my classmate in the academy. Very emotional place. Make sure to visit the "welcome center" down the street.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been to the national Memeorial service many times. Since the time several years ago that the NYPD guys got a little out of hand. The whole thing has become pretty lame. The last time I went was the year after that incident. There used to be a dinner with a celebrity guest speaker. The party was outside in Judiciary Square and was held every night. A live band from the NYPD(The Boys In Blue) played at the party. Women would get naked. George Bush Sr. would do the dedication. When D.C. Metro had their old FOP hall they had cruiser doors hanging on the walls from Depts. all over the country. During the Memorial weekend you would see cruisers driving around town that were missing a door. Guys would actully take a door off the car they drove to the service and give them to the D.C. FOP lodge. It's a long drive from D.C. to Ohio when your missing a door. We drank a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top