Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:44:06 AM EDT
Or at least according to a house painter I just talked to.  Went over to the boss's daughter's house to check on something and three of us, the daughter, the interior designer and myself, started talking about the health bill mess and out of nowhere the painter jumps in and says, "I saw on National Geographic how the ice is really, really melting at the South and North poles.  We're gonna be underwater before we know it."  

I tried to keep a straight face and reason but you can guess how that went.  They're everywhere!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Their demented church has a large congregation...

AC
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Or at least according to a house painter I just talked to.  Went over to the boss's daughter's house to check on something and three of us, the daughter, the interior designer and myself, started talking about the health bill mess and out of nowhere the painter jumps in and says, "I saw on National Geographic how the ice is really, really melting at the South and North poles.  We're gonna be underwater before we know it."  

I tried to keep a straight face and reason but you can guess how that went.  They're everywhere!

Just send her this.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well fuck, that settles it then. I'm gonna go get drunk.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just send her this.

What are you thinking? There is too much complex science in that link for your standard global warming alarmist. All they want to believe is that CO2 traps heat. Leave the scientific truth out of this debate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much all those shows are a bunch of sensationalist crap, people just eat it up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
x2 tap

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The stupid knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep........If its on TV, it must be true!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Waterworld was a crappy movie.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well fuck, that settles it then. I'm gonna go get drunk.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Wanna real watch pro-AGW zealots heads explode?

Fill them in to the fact that this ice-age....we are in one, just the interglacial period......has only be going on for 2.5 million years. Before that, the last time the Earth had polar caps was 260 million years ago. For a good portion of Earths history, it has been Polar Cap free. The world certainly is not going to end if the polar caps melt. Hell, we'd GAIN usable land with Antarctica.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Arvada, CO - altitude 5675 feet.

Melt away. We're prepared to repel boarders.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just send her this.

What are you thinking? There is too much complex science in that link for your standard global warming alarmist. All they want to believe is that CO2 traps heat. Leave the scientific truth out of this debate.

Show her this:

The
Logarithmic Effect of Carbon Dioxide

Then hit her with these:

Watch her head pop.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Global Warming is indeed the new religion, and as such we are protected against it by the First Amendment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
It's gonna make my drive to the beach a lot shorter!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had people tell me that global warming is real because of all the TV shows about it on Discovery and National Geographic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just send her this.

OK, let me get this straight...  

Someone expresses concern over melting ice.  Your position is that it's not happening.  You send us therefore a link to a webpage with authoritative data illustrating just how rapidly it's happening.  Cue the "Not sure if serious" jpeg.  

From your link:
During February 2010, ice extent grew at an average of 25,700 square kilometers (9,900 square miles) per day. Sea ice extent increased at a fairly steady rate in the early part of the month and then slowed after the middle of February. Ice extent remained more than two standard deviations below the 1979 to 2000 average throughout the month.

The average ice extent for February 2010 was the fourth lowest February extent since the beginning of the modern satellite record. It was 220,000 square kilometers (85,000 square miles) higher than the record low for February, observed in 2005. The linear rate of decline for February is now 2.9% per decade.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just send her this.

OK, let me get this straight...  
Someone expresses concern over melting ice.  Your position is that it's not happening.  You send us therefore a link to a webpage with authoritative data illustrating just how rapidly it's happening.  Cue the "Not sure if serious" jpeg.  
From your link:

During February 2010, ice extent grew at an average of 25,700 square kilometers (9,900 square miles) per day. Sea ice extent increased at a fairly steady rate in the early part of the month and then slowed after the middle of February. Ice extent remained more than two standard deviations below the 1979 to 2000 average throughout the month.

The average ice extent for February 2010 was the fourth lowest February extent since the beginning of the modern satellite record. It was 220,000 square kilometers (85,000 square miles) higher than the record low for February, observed in 2005. The linear rate of decline for February is now 2.9% per decade.

Of course it melts, it is ice.

It shows the oscillation of the ice at the north pole as ongoing and changes very easily as it is floating over water. It also shows that the Antarctic Ice is growing quite rapidly.

The way this is portrayed to the useful idiots is that it is slowly melting away, when in fact it grows and shrinks with the seasons. Many animations show a ice cap shrinking into the summer months, but they don't show the rebound in winter. People ACTUALLY believe what they are being shown.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It shows the oscillation of the ice at the north pole as ongoing and changes very easily as it is floating over water. It also shows that the Antarctic Ice is growing quite rapidly.

And yet the extent of Arctic sea ice is in fact strongly down, is it not?  

Antarctic sea ice extent is up.  Antarctic land ice is in some trouble, though not as much as Greenland's.

OP, tell your neighbor that while she is right to be concerned, Greenland and Antarctica will take centuries or even millennia to melt.

The way this is portrayed to the useful idiots is that it is slowly melting away, when in fact it grows and shrinks with the seasons. Many animations show a ice cap shrinking into the summer months, but they don't show the rebound in winter. People ACTUALLY believe what they are being shown.
The graph on NSIDC's Arctic News page is February to February.  The Arctic is melting away, though I would not agree with your characterization of it as slow.  It's quite rapid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw something on the History Channel that proved the world was going to end in 2012.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top