Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 1:27:24 AM EDT
Check it out!!!

http://www.donotcall.gov

It's a new nationwide database to keep telemarketers away. you can sign up as many numbers as you wish.... home, cell, etc.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They have to do this with email, too.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know..Something about giving big brother all my phone numbers...

Who gets the $11,000 fine when it's collected?

I think the one who had to file a complaint should get it..NOT the government!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You think big brother doesn't have it now???
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, go ahead and add to my paranoia! I'll be contacting Reynolds Aluminum for a re-fiting of my aluminum foil hat (They don't use tin anymore)[peep]

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Can"t hurt I guess but it looks like most of the people that call me are exempt. And all anyone has to do is start out with a survey. I suppose it could cut down on the calls about siding and windows.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll notice that once again, politicians exempted themselves.  This turns what was privacy legislation, into anti business legislation.

Charities, surveys and calls on behalf of politicians are exempt. Consumers on the list also can give written permission to get calls from certain companies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#8]
www.donotcall.gov

Of course, I tried to go to it, and the server's already keeled over and died.  I'll try again later.

EDITED:  Made link un-hot again.  It says on the site's privacy policy that they log where you were linked from.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Texas started this about two years ago and it does work quite well.

No more wasted space used up on caller I.D. or the answering machine.

I never thought I would miss telling people to F off but now I do .
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can"t hurt I guess but it looks like most of the people that call me are exempt. And all anyone has to do is start out with a survey. I suppose it could cut down on the calls about siding and windows.
View Quote

Hey, a few months ago, I suddenly got a flurry of phone calls claiming to be for "opinion research" or "surveys" of some kind.

I figure they were trying to get a "relationship" established so they could pimp my 411 all over the country.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Pennsylvania already has a do not call list.  I've been on that one since day one and it is a blessing!  Take that you damn telemarketers!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I signed up on the KS D-N-C lisst, and it worked pretty well. Although charities, surveys and "existing business relationships" are supposed to be exempt, we noticed that even most of those calls came to an end. I will not sign up on the USGOVT D-N-C list. I believe that this is not a federal issue, and that the states are capable of handling the matter if they are so motivated. I am certain the the USGOVT will fuck this one up eventually.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
No worries about big brother, if big brother wants you he can sic JANET RENO on you. [:O]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
One of our customers is a telemarketing company.  The management there is just as scummy and sleazy as you'd think.  A couple of months ago, I asked the owner how the new federal no-call list would affect their business, and he said it wouldn't change things at all.  He claimed the government didn't have any money to enforce it, so they were going to ignore the list just as they currently ignore several of the state no-call lists.  They've also been sending-out illegal FAX spam for about 5 years, and he said they had yet to pay a fine for doing so.z
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
... BTT for all of you that still have a land-line
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top