Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 7:17:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never served in the military and I will ALWAYS salute the flag of my country.

Especailly if the National Anthem is playing as well.

Respect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say you can salute the flag at any time....

[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that I will salute the US Flag be removing my hat and placing it over my heart.  If I am moved enough I may snap a salute...

I also was not in the military, although I do not believe that a proper salute is reserved to military personnel.

Do whatever makes you feel right....in that situation it was proper. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]
When in uniform, salute.

When in civilian clothes, salute by placing hand/hat over your heart.

Remember to salute the National Flag, the gold fringed U.S. flag, like when an Honor Guard in a parade marches by.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I went to my niece's graduation last Friday. Both I and her father are ex-Air Force.

When the National Anthem started playing, there were alot of people still standing around talking to each other and on cell phones behind us.

We both looked at each other,irritated at the people behind us, wondering if we should salute or just stand at attention. I said screw it, and walked up to the people behind us and stood right in the middle of them, did an about face, faced the flag and saluted. My brother-in-law follwed suite.

They shut up real quick. Whether it was right or wrong, it made those people STFU.
View Quote

I think you did fine.  By protocol, you didn't, but I think a properly rendered salute is far more respectful.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Why not?

The hand salute will also identify you as one of the band of brothers.  What pisses me off is when LEO, Fire or Scouts and Leaders in uniform don't salute.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When in uniform, salute.

Remember to salute the National Flag, the gold fringed U.S. flag, like when an Honor Guard in a parade marches by.

Chris
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't salute a flag or pledge allegiance to it.  It's too damn idolatrous.  

What's next?  Big Greek-style temples for deified dead presidents?

Um, nevermind.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
salute to your hearts content. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When in uniform, salute.

Chris
View Quote

100% correct
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I always salute...not just the feeling of having earned the the right to do so, but I'm still defending what the flag stands for...I don't care what some regulations say, that's MY FLAG!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always salute...not just the feeling of having earned the the right to do so, but I'm still defending what the flag stands for...I don't care what some regulations say, that's MY FLAG!!!
View Quote

I have to say I'm there with you SkyShark!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to say I'm there with you SkyShark!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

I'm there with ya guys!

I don't see a problem that you're in civilian clothes and saluting, since the point is to render honors, which is what you're doing.  [;)]

Chris
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
You did just fine. It's more than twenty years since I wore a uniform and I still have to stop myself from saluting. The hand on heart thing just doesn't [i]feel[/i] right.

In any case, the fact that you render honors says more about you than how you do it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You did just fine. It's more than twenty years since I wore a uniform and I still have to stop myself from saluting. The hand on heart thing just doesn't [i]feel[/i] right.

In any case, the fact that you render honors says more about you than how you do it.
View Quote

Although it's only been about 10 years for me, I agree.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I follow military doctrine and salute only when in uniform.  I place my hand over my heart when in civilian garb.  Its just a habit.  I have nothing against those who still choose to salute.
View Quote

I'm the same way, and I still stand at attention when the Marine's Hymn is played.  As long as you pay respect, that's what matters.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#21]
saluting indoors with out head gear...head gear is supposed to be wore inside if you are "under arms" (armed), if you are outside supervising a work detail, the lads may be without head gear, however the sup[ervisor should be in uniform...also this depends on the immediate conditions...once in the motor pool, for instance I have seen it the local policy for the troops not being required to salute, merely because the officers would be spending all their time returning the salute. But you always salute when "reporting"...again normally the troops continue to work and the supervisors "reports"...hope that helped...and as snipers go we were not required to salute in the field back in the day...but before I retired I saw that change depending on the officer...some officers are warriors and some are not...it was an indicator of that individual's mindset...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Salute in uniform outdoors (Navy), come to attention (indoors in uniform), come to attention hand over heart (civilian clothes at all times).
View Quote

Same thing with the USAF.  Also, in uniform, you do NOT say the Pledge, you stand at attention and face the flag.

Being a member of my base's Honor Guard, I have a pet peeve.  It drives me crazy when I see uniformed members (military & LEO) that do NOT salute the Colors when they pass by in a parade.

I also hate seeing people sometimes run for cover at reveille & retreat so they don't have to stand there and pay respect.  Bastards!

While I'm on a minor rant, I want to know why the stores ran out of flags after 9-11?  

You mean those "Proud Americans" didn't have a flag flying proudly on Independence Day, Veteran's Day, and Memorial Day?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When in uniform, salute.

Chris
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#25]
After generations of soldiers, I am the first college boy civillian in my family.  As I get close to my 40th birthday, I told my wife the only regret I have sometimes, is that I did not earn the right to salute my flag.  All protocol  aside, a soldier has earned the right to salute his/her flag.  That is my opinion, I can't say where it came from, it just is.

As far as respect for the flag goes, or a lack of it, when you see these people disrespecting their own flag, don't worry, they don't respect much of anything.  Not their spouses, their families, their neighbors or coworkers.  You can just add the flag and country to their list.

In life you reep what you sew, give no respect, get no respect.  It will come back to them in the form of their own children not respecting them either.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't want to be a 'reg' nazi, but when in civies - the proper rendering is the hand over the heart (ditchin the hat should go without saying).  

For anyone else - is sorta what ever they were taught in school.  Coming from a sorta center left logging town, we always paid alot of respect to the flag... or having a dad as a company First Sgt might of had something to do with it too.

Anyways... just make the idoits shut up, and take their hats off ;-)  (what we DoD freaks do is another thing)

ciao

wyrm
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#27]
If I'm in civies (which is all the time, now), I will at least stand at attention, if not hold my hand over my heart.

Never thought about what I'd do if I was wearing a hat, though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top