BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance but is it off or on or still possible? I know Brandon and his ilk are stroking themselves about averting a strike but it's all been tentative and nothing set in stone.
View Quote

Just figure things are in a holding pattern and there is no risk of strike for 1-3 months depending on how things go.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Two more weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Two more weeks.

This fucker is up for relelection in December and there is a real shot at unseating him BUT there is currently more than one opposition candidite and that will most certainly split the anti Pearce vote.

Foolish!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This fucker is up for relelection in December and there is a real shot at unseating him BUT there is currently more than one opposition candidite and that will most certainly split the anti Pearce vote.

Foolish!
View Quote

He's pretty heavily entrenched and the voting rules from what I understand make a grassroots change hard to accomplish.  I didn't even know there were multiple people attempting to unseat him. Arguing against the union leadership narrative frequently gets local chairman regurgitating the same bullshit that comes down from the top.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

GD foreplay at its finest.

View Quote

The normal gd response I'd expect.  Maybe it should have been a pm. But I'd tied a few on and it's something I'd been stewing on for a little while now. I've been pretty frustrated lately, to say the least. And I think occasionally went past a healthy discussion imho. That's something that should be encouraged today.  It seems to happen less often in as nearly every disagreement seems to become more polarized. He's also in a position that even mentioning some of the things he has is taboo. Getting fired for social media posts on the railroad is a thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
So many issues hopefully they are addressed when members get to see the new tentative agreement. Otherwise at least the BLE is going to vote it down. Sadly Smart doesn’t get to vote.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He's pretty heavily entrenched and the voting rules from what I understand make a grassroots change hard to accomplish.  I didn't even know there were multiple people attempting to unseat him. Arguing against the union leadership narrative frequently gets local chairman regurgitating the same bullshit that comes down from the top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Foolish!

That sounds like what LaPierre has done with rhe NRA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just figure things are in a holding pattern and there is no risk of strike for 1-3 months depending on how things go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance but is it off or on or still possible? I know Brandon and his ilk are stroking themselves about averting a strike but it's all been tentative and nothing set in stone.

Why so long, vote on Monday, tally on Tuesday, strike on Wednesday. Yea I know that’s to quick, but you get my point and my question.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So many issues hopefully they are addressed when members get to see the new tentative agreement. Otherwise at least the BLE is going to vote it down. Sadly Smart doesn’t get to vote.
View Quote

huh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why so long, vote on Monday, tally on Tuesday, strike on Wednesday. Yea I know that’s to quick, but you get my point and my question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are saying they have to finalize the agreement, have the language checked by their legal departments, submit it to both sides for review, distribute it the general chairman, allow time for questions, compile a Q&Q, obtain approval for a general vote, then finally send it to the general membership who will probably be given 87 minutes to review it and cast a vote.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don’t? According to who?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]

My understanding is BLE is individual vote and based on majority, smart the members can vote but it’s up the the chairman to cast the vote.
I mean the conductor contract seems to be a lot worse then the Engineers.
Example Eng work 6 on and 2 off on a pool but conductors get nothing. Lord knows I have already been screwed on my 6 starts.
I am new to the railroad so I could just be wrong. Heck I was shocked there wasn’t just a single union.
I am new enough that I will/can change careers some of the other conductors are pretty much set due to time in service.

Edit: I am ignorant of a lot of what’s going on this is just my general knowledge from open discussion while on the train.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My understanding is BLE is individual vote and based on majority, smart the members can vote but it’s up the the chairman to cast the vote.
Example Eng work 6 on and 2 off on a pool but conductors get nothing. Lord knows I have already been screwed on my 6 starts.
I am new to the railroad so I could just be wrong. Heck I was shocked there wasn’t just a single union.
I am new enough that I will/can change careers some of the other conductors are pretty much set due to time in service.
View Quote

ehh  the 6/2 example is going to be property specific and not all properties are part of "national handling" of the agreement, some have "on property" agreements and thus may not be eligible to vote at all on this national agreement.

BLET and SMART have their own contracts to vote on based on the language of the tenative agreements that came out of thursday evening's meeting.  IN theory you might see one side ratify it and the other reject it.  It's been done before...

And yes I think the SMART/UTU General Chairman all vote on the contract based on the membership vote,  just like Presidential electors.  If they've ever voted contrary to what their members voted for I'd like to see an example,  not saying theynever have, just that I'd like to see an example.

YES they should be ONE union with a common goal but fucktards will be fucktards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I give you a lot of shit and we don't always agree.  But I feel like you've been honest from your viewpoint and I do respect your opinion more often than it would appear.  Even when I have disagreed with you to the point of being downright hostile you've always ignored any criticism I've given you personally. You have come back here later with your continued introspection and opinions and responded to anything I have asked with much more tact than I deserve.
View Quote

I appreciate that. I offer what I can.

Nothing you say here will be worse than the flak I took as a young FLS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are saying they have to finalize the agreement, have the language checked by their legal departments, submit it to both sides for review, distribute it the general chairman, allow time for questions, compile a Q&Q, obtain approval for a general vote, then finally send it to the general membership who will probably be given 87 minutes to review it and cast a vote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda seems to me as a stall tactic, let’s drag this out until after the election then it’s the republicans fault and their the bad guys. In all honesty I deep down wanted to see a strike for two reasons you guys are getting fucked, and a strike now would fuck the Dems and it might open enough eyes for more to see how bad their destroying America.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kinda seems to me as a stall tactic, let’s drag this out until after the election then it’s the republicans fault and their the bad guys. In all honesty I deep down wanted to see a strike for two reasons you guys are getting fucked, and a strike now would fuck the Dems and it might open enough eyes for more to see how bad their destroying America.
View Quote

The BLET president said it would be December before the new agreement would be voted on.  They successfully stalled it for the politicians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The BLET president said it would be December before the new agreement would be voted on.  They successfully stalled it for the politicians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See that is complete and total horse shit! If this desist prove to everyone that the unions don’t represent the worker but the Democratic Party I don’t know what does? Fuckers, fucking the working class who their supposed to stand behind and help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's exactly what they did.

Scum.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I am having a hard time believing that they can stall this out to December. In the FNC video he said a few weeks. I would like to a source for the December claim.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am having a hard time believing that they can stall this out to December. In the FNC video he said a few weeks. I would like to a source for the December claim.
View Quote

December is when the strike could occur. Go to 2:30 in the vid below.  You will see the TA before then but won't know what the vote tally is until after the midterms. They stalled it past the midterms on purpose.

https://youtu.be/qZQDcIjwAG4
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Scum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scum.

I have to wonder how many favors and how much money transferred hands to pull this off? It has to be a great feeling knowing your unions have your backs. Not only did they fuck you, all while taking your money (dues) they timed it until after the midterms, but wait there’s more if you do strike and it’s not until December who’s going to look like the shit heads? The strikers. If I have this right you guys got fucked six ways to Sunday, with absolutely no beneficial recourse. Seems a Wildcat strike is your only action left?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Seems a Wildcat strike is your only action left?
View Quote

Well...in theory if the ratification fails legal "self help" is back on the table at some point,  when?  I have no idea since this is somewhat uncharted territory.

As far as a 'wildcat strike' goes,  if there is any hint of union organization the unions would be sued for lost revenue incurred during the strike.  Any subsequent damages equaling even ONE day of lost C1 revenue would bankrupt any rail union.

Everyone worried about a strike,  but the railroad has been slooooow rolling freight for the past 3 years and in the last couple of days it's only gotten worse.  We've gone from slow rolling to just barely crawling.  I was on a train last night for 22hrs due to carrier incompetence.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
There is no reason to delay giving out the Tentative Agreement to the union members for more than a few days.  Anything beyond that and I'd say it doesn't exist and that we were all fooled.  At this point, I'm leaning towards shady stall tactic for midterms due to union leaders and Democrats in office making deals with each other.

Got sent this link by a RR friend, no idea about this website, never heard about it before:
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/09/17/tent-s17.html

"Railroaders furious after unions reveal that no tentative agreement exists, despite sabotage of strike"
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no reason to delay giving out the Tentative Agreement to the union members for more than a few days.  Anything beyond that and I'd say it doesn't exist and that we were all fooled.  At this point, I'm leaning towards shady stall tactic for midterms due to union leaders and Democrats in office making deals with each other.

Got sent this link by a RR friend, no idea about this website, never heard about it before:
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/09/17/tent-s17.html

"Railroaders furious after unions reveal that no tentative agreement exists, despite sabotage of strike"
View Quote

Those are a bunch of commies trying to usurp railroad labor representation. Same as RWU, and that is assuming that they aren’t just RWU under a different guise.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well...in theory if the ratification fails legal "self help" is back on the table at some point,  when?  I have no idea since this is somewhat uncharted territory.

As far as a 'wildcat strike' goes,  if there is any hint of union organization the unions would be sued for lost revenue incurred during the strike.  Any subsequent damages equaling even ONE day of lost C1 revenue would bankrupt any rail union.

Everyone worried about a strike,  but the railroad has been slooooow rolling freight for the past 3 years and in the last couple of days it's only gotten worse.  We've gone from slow rolling to just barely crawling.  I was on a train last night for 22hrs due to carrier incompetence.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems a Wildcat strike is your only action left?

This pisses me off to no end. You rail road employees are getting the shaft by both th RR and your union who is SUPPOSED, to represent you. I can imagine how you guys and gals feel. They are stalling to protect the democrats pure and simple and not only that, they have taken away your only avenue to be heard.

Fucked up, truly fucked up, I feel for you all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This pisses me off to no end. You rail road employees are getting the shaft by both th RR and your union who is SUPPOSED, to represent you. I can imagine how you guys and gals feel. They are stalling to protect the democrats pure and simple and not only that, they have taken away your only avenue to be heard.

Fucked up, truly fucked up, I feel for you all.
View Quote

I'm not surprised at all when politcians do what politicians typically do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those are a bunch of commies trying to usurp railroad labor representation. Same as RWU, and that is assuming that they aren’t just RWU under a different guise.
View Quote

ehh... It does not appear that "railroad labor representation" needs any help usurping itself  
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Makes one wonder if a wildcat isn’t warranted, maybe bankrupting a union isn’t necessarily a bad thing? Out of the ashes maybe something that actually represents you happens?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Makes one wonder if a wildcat isn’t warranted, maybe bankrupting a union isn’t necessarily a bad thing? Out of the ashes maybe something that actually represents you happens?
View Quote

I wouldn't go into a wildcat strike scenario thinking that bankrupting the union is a good thing for it's members. Not even considering the potential for personal liability to some or all of its members. If that happens it meant the strike was unsuccessful. I understand your point, but you can't just form a new one and magically keep all the previous agreements. It's not allowed for a year from my understanding. Basically in that scenario you'd be working for a year without a contract and without the union protections we do have.

This is in an industry that's managed to push inward facing cameras without legislation into cabs and successful fought off any attempts to remove or limit them unlike nearly every other form of transportation. Our restroom doors are visible from the cameras on my road. If you're too tall or too overweight you almost can't use the damn things without the door being open. We LIVE in the cabs for 12+ hours daily and they are allowed to routinely audit the video.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Unofficially official but they evidently had a diverging approach into a siding occupied with a cut of empty flats

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Unofficially official but they evidently had a diverging approach into a siding occupied with a cut of empty flats

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So they weren’t shoving?

Sounds similar to an incident we had years ago. Crew on a coal train gets distracted/falls asleep while running on a restricting 6 hours after having gone on duty at Odarkthirty, assended a work train with a bunch of MoW flats at 22mph. Those things telescoped up and sheared the cab off the lead locomotive, killing both crew members.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wouldn't go into a wildcat strike scenario thinking that bankrupting the union is a good thing for it's members. Not even considering the potential for personal liability to some or all of its members. If that happens it meant the strike was unsuccessful. I understand your point, but you can't just form a new one and magically keep all the previous agreements. It's not allowed for a year from my understanding. Basically in that scenario you'd be working for a year without a contract and without the union protections we do have.

This is in an industry that's managed to push inward facing cameras without legislation into cabs and successful fought off any attempts to remove or limit them unlike nearly every other form of transportation. Our restroom doors are visible from the cameras on my road. If you're too tall or too overweight you almost can't use the damn things without the door being open. We LIVE in the cabs for 12+ hours daily and they are allowed to routinely audit the video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean you are WORKING (and getting paid) in the cabs for 12+ hours daily?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

December is when the strike could occur. Go to 2:30 in the vid below.  You will see the TA before then but won't know what the vote tally is until after the midterms. They stalled it past the midterms on purpose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I called this earlier in the thread but I'm too lazy to go find it lol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So they weren’t shoving?

Sounds similar to an incident we had years ago. Crew on a coal train gets distracted/falls asleep while running on a restricting 6 hours after having gone on duty at Odarkthirty, assended a work train with a bunch of MoW flats at 22mph. Those things telescoped up and sheared the cab off the lead locomotive, killing both crew members.
View Quote

Probably swapped ends if I had to speculate,  that will all be in the NTSB report no doubt.

Whatever way they had it set up,  the issue for me is the signal problem. One thing is for sure,  within 24hrs they put up portable derails and red flags in sidings that were storing standing cuts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Diverging Approach? Is that some type or “Restricting” or “Restricted Proceed” signal? If not, that seems a weird signal to get going into a controlled signal track that is already occupied.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Diverging Approach? Is that some type or “Restricting” or “Restricted Proceed” signal? If not, that seems a weird signal to get going into a controlled signal track that is already occupied.
View Quote

They should have gotten a restricting signal, they didn't.  

When they were told to make the move another train in the area got on the radio and said they thought there were cars in the siding,  the crew asked the dispatcher and he said there was no indication on his screen...   They called out a diverging approach on the radio as they went into the siding.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When they were told to make the move another train in the area got on the radio and said they thought there were cars in the siding,  the crew asked the dispatcher and he said there was no indication on his screen...   They called out a diverging approach on the radio as they went into the siding.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. Just, wow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The dispatcher wasn't lying then. If there were cars in the siding, it should have shown an occupied block and an indication on the dispatchers board. You are correct, they should have gotten a restricting signal, looking out ahead for cars/equipment.

I'm surprised the dispatchers notes didn't alert him of cars in the siding?

ETA, some sidings (at least before PTC) were dark.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]
As a signal maintainer, the first thing I would do would do would be to reverse the switch, drop a shunt in the siding and try to line a signal into it. If it comes in as  diverging clear/approach, then we've got some logic issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My understanding is it was a standing cut of cars that had been there for a long time,like a year.

Rail rusts under the wheels and the shunt disappears. Track light goes away, then you run a train into standing cars.

Fucking poor management.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My understanding is it was a standing cut of cars that had been there for a long time,like a year.

Rail rusts under the wheels and the shunt disappears. Track light goes away, then you run a train into standing cars.

Fucking poor management.
View Quote

Yeah, that is pretty bad. Rusty rail has poor shunting. Still should have been in the dispatcher's bulletin..........
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Edit: I am ignorant of a lot of what’s going on this is just my general knowledge from open discussion while on the train.
View Quote

that's how it's always been, afaik. i left the utu for the ble, when i found my vote wasn't a vote at all. the members vote, the lc votes, and the gc makes the final vote. i saw a lc vote against the entire local (800) and vote against us. your utu vote wasn't a vote at all. has this changed with smart? (stupid) would be news to me. ble is one man-one vote, majority rules.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

that's how it's always been, afaik. i left the utu for the ble, when i found my vote wasn't a vote at all. the members vote, the lc votes, and the gc makes the final vote. i saw a lc vote against the entire local (800) and vote against us. your utu vote wasn't a vote at all. has this changed with smart? (stupid) would be news to me. ble is one man-one vote, majority rules.
View Quote

Are you currently marked up as an engineer?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you mean you are WORKING (and getting paid) in the cabs for 12+ hours daily?
View Quote

@MostlyPeaceful

Have you worked as a railroader before? Do you commonly take a piss or a shit in a cab with cameras pointing at the front of the door? Have you had to change a wet set of clothes after you were rained on with a camera in your face? Their was an incident a couple years ago a female conductor had to and the video was passed around in Ft Worth. Airline pilots have voice recordings that are deleted if no incidents occurs. Most railroaders would have a lot less of a problem with them if that was the case.

I do think living in the cab is an appropriate description considering the longest time I've been in one is nearly 20 hours. You work, nap, eat, and shit in them. It's not a normal work environment. You can't perform service after 12. I'm not getting paid extra past those 12 hours. I can be sleeping or whatever I feel like it for the most part if the train is secured.

You should expect some level of privacy in an environment like that. Do you think it's appropriate then?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have you had to change a wet set of clothes after you were rained on with a camera in your face? Their was an incident a couple years ago a female conductor had to and the video was passed around in Ft Worth.
View Quote

Wow, first time I heard of that. I hope there was a large settlement involved.

Side note, don’t masturbate in the cab. Yes, this has been captured on video. That’s an awkward conversation for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wow, first time I heard of that. I hope there was a large settlement involved.

Side note, don’t masturbate in the cab. Yes, this has been captured on video. That’s an awkward conversation for everyone involved.
View Quote

I may be wrong about it being spread around. It's been several years at least. It could have been "hey you need to go watch this video at such and such time." I don't recall hearing what has happened since then concerning a potential settlement, if any. I think if there was one, its likely to be of the type that a confidentiality agreement was signed. I do remember that they at least clamped down on the ability of who can see the videos afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
The TA dropped. Basically the PEB with very minor changes.

"Employees in unassigned service, including employees who obtain days off under Article V of this agreement, will be allowed unpaid scheduled day(s) off that are necessary to attend up to three (3) routine and preventive medical care visits per calendar year without being assessed any form of disciplinary points, demerits or disciplinary citations under any Carrier's attendance related policies; provided such exams are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, excluding holidays, and the carrier is provided with at least 30 days advance notice.
Documentation verifying that the exam took place may be required by the carrier. The parties will promptly engage in local discussions to implement the terms of this paragraph, including procedures to accommodate employees who move from unassigned to assigned service subsequent to scheduling an exam (where a carrier attendance policy differentiates between such classes of service). If the parties are unable to reach agreement, those issues will be resolved through final and binding expedited interest arbitration.
It is intended that employee requests for routine and preventive medical care time off under the preceding paragraph normally will be granted without regard to usual staffing and operational contingencies. Where other time off requests on the same day(s) would jeopardize operation of the train schedule, the local carrier official and union local chairman will consider appropriate accommodations of the conflicting requests."

I read that as possibly letting them take others days off to let these happen.

The whole agreement is pure crap IMHO. I think the wages and 15% H&W alone would be a better agreement than all the changes from the section 6's they can now serve for automated bidding, pools, and extraboards. We're negotiating on things we didn't have to in order to gain just part of what they were allowed to arbitrarily remove with the newer availability policies.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#48]
So in other words smoke and mirrors to stall this out until after the midterms?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Nay I say

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
What a pile of shit.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top