Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 5/3/2011 8:52:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 8:53:07 AM EDT by Kit_Karson]
Hey all,

Going to Nashville for part of next week. Looking at the Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand 'ol Opry and the State Capitol.... might hit up the Pred's Playoff game if I get lucky. Usually would post this in the hometown forum, but time is short here, Flying Sunday.

Need feedback on other things to do though... Especially places to eat. Thanks in advance!

ETA: will be staying in Downtown, prefer locations within walking distance, or a short cab ride...
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:57:34 AM EDT
Jack's BBQ FTMFW!!!! It's on Broadway downtown.

If you like beer try some Yazoo while you are in town. Also go to the Blackstone Restaraunt and Brewery. And we have a Flying Saucer too. They have over 100 beers on tap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:58:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jasongar8:

That's what I clicked on this thread to post. Jack's Baby backs FTMFW!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:02:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 9:05:03 AM EDT by macman37]
Originally Posted By Jasongar8:

If you like beer try some Yazoo while you are in town. Also go to the Blackstone Restaraunt and Brewery. And we have a Flying Saucer too. They have over 100 beers on tap.

Another +1 for Blackstone!

Also hit "Hog Heaven BBQ" - a little hole-in-the-wall joint, but has great food.

The wife and I went to Nashville last Summer and wanted to go back again this year, but with gas prices what they are... it's not looking good. We loved the area.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:05:27 AM EDT
Go to Graham Central Station and holler "Screaming Eagles Suck!"

Post AAR when complete.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:06:59 AM EDT
The main attractions are all up and down 2nd and 3rd street.  Depending on where you are staying downtown you will be in walking distance to pretty much everything there.

There is a Hard Rock Cafe if you are into that.  Also a Coyote Ugly which can be entertaining.  Lots of places to eat too down there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:07:04 AM EDT
Broadway and 2nd ave is full of restraunts and live music bars.  All around the arena. I like Big River Grill.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:12:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:33:52 AM EDT
I came here to mention Jacks for BBQ also. Is that enough endorsement yet?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:35:00 AM EDT
Demo's
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:39:50 AM EDT
Hmmm....next time I'm parked at the truck stop in Nashville I will have to walk to Jacks
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:42:09 AM EDT
Went there with the wife and baby last August. We ate at a different barbeque place every day. It was all good.

Nashville is just like every other big city though, except he panhandlers had better manners.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:43:51 AM EDT
For late night entertainment, you MUST go to Tootsie's Orchid Lounge on Broadway.

Good music, lots of history, and the bartenders are extremely fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:01:41 AM EDT
A bit of a drive, but the Jack Daniel's distillery tour is very interesting, so is the town of Lynchburg in which it resides.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:04:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rob944s2:
A bit of a drive, but the Jack Daniel's distillery tour is very interesting, so is the town of Lynchburg in which it resides.

We went there ... in a storm.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:05:21 AM EDT
You know, I just don't like Nashville all that much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:05:43 AM EDT
Down below Nashville on I-24 is a nice funshop.......I believe it's exit 82 or 84......
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:06:57 AM EDT
Try the Loveless cafe, and if you like sushi, you MUST try Ru San's.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:18:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Down below Nashville on I-24 is a nice funshop.......I believe it's exit 82 or 84......

Vjsjt the Franklin Gun Shop. And you may just run into Jim Scoutten while you are there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:20:42 AM EDT
Touring Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage, is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 10:32:36 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:31:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:34:35 AM EDT
The Parthenon is seriously cool.

We also went to the Tennessee Military Museum.

There's a TON of good history in the area. Head to Franklin too. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I found a job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:50:06 AM EDT
When I was there for our photo conventions my vendors would take us out to the 'Stock Yards' to eat.  Last time we where there a little country singer Lorrie Morgan sang a few of her songs & a few vintage country covers too.  The restaurant was upstairs & the bar downstairs.

For all I know its a tourist trap but we ate like kings (the vendors were paying then ).

7mm

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 10:51:48 AM EDT by cyclone]
Really? What happened, if you dont mind me asking?

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Those guys tried to rip off my wife.  Screw them.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:12:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Illysium:
Demo's

+111

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:38:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
The main attractions are all up and down 2nd and 3rd street.  Depending on where you are staying downtown you will be in walking distance to pretty much everything there.

There is a Hard Rock Cafe if you are into that.  Also a Coyote Ugly which can be entertaining.  Lots of places to eat too down there.

This.
We ate at Baileys one of the times we went and their food was great.
+1 on Blue Bird Cafe, Its a nice place to see great song writers.
+1 on Tootsies, I found it to be way over crowded but its worth it for the historical significance.

The Cadillac Ranch had an interesting atmosphere but the food wasnt anything great.
Wildhorse Saloon is really touristy but I still enjoyed going.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:11:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BeautifulStranger:
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

This.
We ate at Baileys one of the times we went and their food was great.
+1 on Blue Bird Cafe, Its a nice place to see great song writers.
+1 on Tootsies, I found it to be way over crowded but its worth it for the historical significance.The Cadillac Ranch had an interesting atmosphere but the food wasnt anything great.
Wildhorse Saloon is really touristy but I still enjoyed going.

Tootsies can be crowded, but that's when you head upstairs to the outdoor elevated patio.  You have bar access (cute ladies are downstairs), a place to sit, and you can watch the band from behind.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:12:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:16:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:
Hey all,

Going to Nashville for part of next week. Looking at the Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand 'ol Opry and the State Capitol.... might hit up the Pred's Playoff game if I get lucky. Usually would post this in the hometown forum, but time is short here, Flying Sunday.

Need feedback on other things to do though... Especially places to eat. Thanks in advance!

ETA: will be staying in Downtown, prefer locations within walking distance, or a short cab ride...

I lived there for over 12+ years.

I drove from ATL to DEN in September and the Country Music Hall of Fame was closed from the flooding, so was Opry Mills Mall. The devastation was incredible, you can see the water line around many of the downtown buildings.

You can go to Riverfront Park, there are plenty of things to look at around Second Ave. Nashvegas is a great town.

I believe that you can get a ride to the top of the Bell South / Batman building, the view from there is incredible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:17:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Illysium:
Demo's

This is very true, try the chicken and rice soup.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:25:19 PM EDT
Loveless Cafe out West Nashville. I'm not sure if it's still opened or not, it's been awhile and the Pancake Pantry on the campus.

I went to Vanderbilt myself, awesome city and lots of country bumpkins around
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:41:30 PM EDT
Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Defiantly have to check out Jack's BBQ and sift through the other things. A friend of mine did say to check out the gardens at opry hotel/resort...

It is a business trio, so we won't be able to check out everything, but looks like you guys filled my time nicely!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:44:50 PM EDT
Definitely check out Opryland Hotel, gorgeous gardens.

+769521 for Jacks, and if you wanna see eye candy and get hammered, 2nd Ave is the place to be.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:51:55 PM EDT
http://www.thehermitage.com/

Visit the Hermitage, Home of Andrew Jackson, our 7th President....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:53:33 PM EDT
I was just there this weekend.  The State Capitol was very nice to walk around.

Also a visit to the Belle Glade Plantation outside of town is worth the trip if you like history.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:26:52 PM EDT

Outpost Armory?

lol

It's owned by BARRETT.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:48:15 PM EDT
Monel's has great food!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 2:11:55 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:09:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MP0117:

Outpost Armory?

lol

It's owned by BARRETT.

No, I am thinking of Franklin Gun Shop.

My bad - that's off I-64 (near Franklin/Cool Springs), not I-24

It's actually I-65, and their prices are high on almost everything, or so I've been told by the guys I used to go to church with who bought lots of stuff there (at full retail).

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:13:18 PM EDT
It's well known around here if you want to pay too much for a gun, Franklin Gun Shop is the place to do it.
There's the
Outpost Armory (about an hour drive outside of Nashville)
Guns and Leather  (two locations, both with indoor ranges)
The Armory in Lebanon
The Relaoders Bench (Mt Juliet)

I'm sure I've forgotten a few, downtown is full of food/drink/nightlife
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:28:07 PM EDT

Outpost Armory?

lol

It's owned by BARRETT.

No, I am thinking of Franklin Gun Shop.

My bad - that's off I-65 (near Franklin/Cool Springs), not I-24

Yes, FGS is a freaking rape-fest.

Great selection, retail-PLUS pricing.

Good place to touch/feel before you buy, but never buy there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 2:31:01 PM EDT by MP0117]
Originally Posted By dunndw:
It's well known around here if you want to pay too much for a gun, Franklin Gun Shop is the place to do it.
There's the
The Armory in Lebanon

Lock, Stock & Barrel.

Doesn't have a big selection, but Tom's more known for his gun smithing, not his retail operation.

Another over-priced rape-fest in Franklin is Usleton's...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:40:06 PM EDT
There's the
The Armory in Lebanon

Lock, Stock & Barrel.

Doesn't have a big selection, but Tom's more known for his gun smithing, not his retail operation.

You mean Uselesstons.
He's the only gun shop owner that I know of that is anti 2A.

+1 for Franklin Gun being high priced. No self respecting Arfcommer actually spends money there unless her forgets earplugs on the way to Charlie's range in spring hill. Finger the goods & then buy online or at Guns & Leather.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:45:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:
There's the
The Armory in Lebanon

Lock, Stock & Barrel.

You mean Uselesstons.
He's the only gun shop owner that I know of that is anti 2A.

+1 for Franklin Gun being high priced. No self respecting Arfcommer actually spends money there unless her forgets earplugs on the way to Charlie's range in spring hill. Finger the goods & then buy online or at Guns & Leather.

Wow, I didn't know that about him, but I've heard he's a super-douce.

Top Top