Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2014 7:14:30 PM EDT
Good evening, my wife like the name Lochlan or Lochlan (same name different spelling) if we have a boy. She is drawn to this name because its unique. I thought it would be best to turn to gd for great advice.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:16:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RussDXT:
Good evening, my wife like the name Lochlan or Lochlan (same name different spelling) if we have a boy. She is drawn to this name because its unique. I thought it would be best to turn to gd for great advice.

Thanks
View Quote

Oh really?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:16:16 PM EDT
Don't saddle your kid with some name it will hate. It might seem cute or trendy now but 30 years from now it might be a burden to the young man.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:19:39 PM EDT

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:22:42 PM EDT
Tell her to go to the back door, open it, and yell the name at the top of her lungs three times, followed by, "It's dinnnnnnnner time!"

Wait five minutes, then yell the name two more times, followed by, "I'm going to count to three... one... two... IFYOURASSISN'TINHEREBYTHETIMEIREACHTHREEYOURD­ADDYISGONNATANYOURHIDE... THREE."
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:25:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:26:43 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Kit Carson
William Bent
Alferd Packer

Zebulon Pike

View Quote

I always wondered if that was spelled intentionally like that, or if his parents were just too stupid to know how to spell "Alfred."
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:26:53 PM EDT
pics of wife ?

how bout lachlan or locklann ?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:27:05 PM EDT
Beergitter #1
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:28:19 PM EDT
I would go with a traditional strong American male name.

Rufus McRuff Stuff
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:28:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
What in the fuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:29:34 PM EDT
Don't be a douche. My son Jack is goingto kick Lochlan's ass at least once a week for being named Lochlan. Unless you live in Scotland, then go for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
yeah go with your wife's choice. if you don't you'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:29:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dpmmn:

For the sake of your child use a traditional name

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dpmmn:

Thanks

For the sake of your child use a traditional name

Yes, but there are TWO spelling options.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:30:07 PM EDT
My wife is out with her friends, otherwise I'd ask her if that name is from some chick book series that's popular now.

If it is, don't do it. Because there'll be millions of kids with that name, like with Twilight.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:30:42 PM EDT
Forgottopullout
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:31:40 PM EDT
nevabeendunbefo
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:35:23 PM EDT
It is hopeless! You will name him Lochlan, his friends will call him lo-chillin...

Classic names are the best. In 50 years, there will be a large group of Hunters, Dillans and Brittanys heading to retirement homes, like the Dots, Myrtles and Esthers of the past.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
I have a nephew Lathan, I think it's nice and unique. Not too weird, but different enough that every one will ask how to spell it. But FWIW everyone asks me how to spell my name, Patty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 7:39:19 PM EDT by 6winchester2]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
It is hopeless! You will name him Lochlan, his friends will call him lo-chillin...

Classic names are the best. In 50 years, there will be a large group of Hunters, Dillans and Brittanys heading to retirement homes, like the Dots, Myrtles and Esthers of the past.
View Quote

Don't forget the shit ton of "Jareds" and "Calebs" born in the 80s and 90s.

Or the fuck ton of "Joshuas."
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
Ohhh, you mean Laughlin.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:38:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SIASL:
What in the fuck
View Quote

Not a good name for a kid...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:40:09 PM EDT

Thanks
View Quote

Well, you certainly came to the right place !
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:40:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:

and Jayden, Cayden, Brayden, NeverGettinLayeden, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
Joe Joe, same name different spelling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 7:44:26 PM EDT by Marie]
1. Don't give kid unique name. Kids don't want unique names. They want to fit in with the herd. Besides, how will a unique name fit later when the kid is in the work force? You know how Arfcom makes fun of the outlandish names black folks like to name their kids? Nuff said.

2. Don't give kid a normal name, but fuck up the spelling. Kid will spend the rest of his life correcting people and getting them to spell his correctly. It is a major PITA. In other words, don't even use a slightly uncommon spelling for a normal name.

I have extensive personal experience with #2 (with my first name). I've even been given business cards on the first day of a job, with my name spelled incorrectly, and been told I had to use them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:44:00 PM EDT
Steak.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:44:28 PM EDT

Thanks
View Quote

What exactly are you asking? Which spelling we prefer (you spelled them both the same, by the way)? Or if we like that name at all?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT

View Quote

My name is Hunter. I was born in 1981. Guess my parents were ahead of the curve.
Sucked as a kid growing up though. Could never find anything cool with my name on it, now it's everywhere!
I still hate kids with "unique" names. Especially when they are spelled weird.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:47:03 PM EDT
Name him Lawson, that is my sons name.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:47:15 PM EDT
Riker aka: (number one)
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:48:36 PM EDT
Unless you have direct historical family ties to Ireland or Scotland that name is dildos.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:49:19 PM EDT
Max Ammo
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:49:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:49:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Marie:
1. Don't give kid unique name. Kids don't want unique names. They want to fit in with the herd. Besides, how will a unique name fit later when the kid is in the work force? You know how Arfcom makes fun of the outlandish names black folks like to name their kids? Nuff said.

2. Don't give kid a normal name, but fuck up the spelling. Kid will spend the rest of his life correcting people and getting them to spell his correctly. It is a major PITA. In other words, don't even use a slightly uncommon spelling for a normal name.

I have extensive personal experience with #2 (with my first name). I've even been given business cards on the first day of a job, with my name spelled incorrectly, and been told I had to use them.
View Quote

How does one put a weird spelling on "marie"?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:55:27 PM EDT
Rainbow Dash
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:57:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zercool:

View All Quotes

Reading is fundamental! Marie is my middle name. The problem name is my first name.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AKengineer:
Unless you have direct historical family ties to Ireland or Scotland that name is dildos.
View Quote

Either way you slice it that's a losing situation.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:01:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Originally Posted By AKengineer:

My people do scones and rebillion against the English pretty well but we don't have the knack for hotwiring cars like the Welsh do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:02:38 PM EDT
You want to name a boy? Two consonants and a vowel.

Ben
Tom
Max
Sam
Etc....
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:03:15 PM EDT
Hint:

Sorry; I do NOT mean to name him Hint, but watch the video and PLEASE use a Man's name and not what you are planning.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:04:05 PM EDT
Give your kids normal names . Trust me on this
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:06:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:07:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chapman:
Please don't forget you're naming a man, not just a baby.
View Quote

Dammit. I guess CuddlyWuddly McSnuggles is out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:08:07 PM EDT
No. Just no. Stop.

You might as well name him Lemonjello.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:14:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:27:08 PM EDT

Reading is fundamental! Marie is my middle name. The problem name is my first name.

View All Quotes

I don't read where it says your first name isn't Marie... I mean, that's how WE all know you!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:30:26 PM EDT
Sounds silly to me. Should fit right in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:02:55 PM EDT
My kid will get my name. I'm also the only Glendon I've ever met.

So there's that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:05:07 PM EDT
Give him a name. Like Nick. Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car, Nick!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top