Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:09 PM EDT
looks like the NO mayor finally grew a pair.

martial law declaration
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
About time. Beer and peanuts anyone?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food.

What monsters!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters.

No easy answers here, but I'd have a hard time cheering that statement.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

martial law declaration

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters.

Excuse me but how in the blue fuck can a local mayor over rule US civil rights
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That and the fact that every news station is showing video every hour of the looting and lawlessness. It's about damn time. The Mayor is a moron, has no clue at the gravity of the situation and at this point is reactionary.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I truly can't believe that you people are happy about this
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread said that the State or cities in LA didnt have the authority to exercise martial law?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

martial law declaration

I didn't think a mayor could declare Martial Law.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

martial law declaration

You gonna arrest him?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was thinking about that, wouldn't that be a governor's decision anyway?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you, but something has to be done to impose SOME order.

I'm not happy about it, but I'll be damned if I don't recognize the need for it.

Christ. The place is going nuts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

martial law declaration

Don't get me wrong, feed the hungry by what ever means necessary and then shoot the fucking garbage thats looting but to suspend the bill of rights by a fucking mayor
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you, but something has to be done to impose SOME order.

I'm not happy about it, but I'll be damned if I don't recognize the need for it.

When did you get to Texas?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

martial law declaration

The citizenry never protest it or make any other move to oppose it and he (and his peers and successors) gets away with it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

martial law declaration

You gonna arrest him?

lol

Yea, no shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
i think they should just build a wall around NO. let those who want out now. those who stay.. sorta like escape from new york..

let em stew in the own juices... pretty soon the pharmacies, walmarts etc will be empty and they can play hop-scotch with the gators...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i think they should just build a wall around NO. let those who want out now. those who stay.. sorta like escape from new york..

let em stew in the own juices... pretty soon the pharmacies, walmarts etc will be empty and they can play hop-scotch with the gators...

They already have walls.....they are called levees.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food.

What monsters!

The correct word is murderer… Or if you prefer, coward looter.

There’s a reason that every civilized society shoots coward looters.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking about that, wouldn't that be a governor's decision anyway?

No I don't think the Governor can suspend the bill of rights either.
I think the Governor can declare a state of emergency and use extraordinary measures but i think only the President can declare Martial Law and suspend the Constitution.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They already had walls.....they are called levees.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I say we air drop ramen avery week for years.
The people that stay can be our own little science experiment.

One where we can introduce whatever scenario we want. One week we can drop more gators. One week bows and arrows.
The next week we can drop cyanide capsules. Basically just see what happens.

ETA: I think we could start with sharks.
Now THAT'S TV worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

New movie but this time Kurt Russel has to go into The Big Easy

Come see the action movie event of the year, Escape from The Big Easy!  

This time they're inside with no food, water, or food stamps.  They're unhappy and want taken care of.  Who does the President call in this time of need?  Snake that's who....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmm.. I don't know. All I can say is that it is a fucked up situation, and it's gonna get worse before better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I truly can't believe that you people are happy about this hr

Christ. The place is going nuts. hr
Yeah, I could also recognize the need for gun control when I hear about a kid blowing his head off with dad's gun- but then logical thought takes over and kicks that idea out the window.

Do you understand what martial law is?  Gun control, something we all fight for, is just a drop in the bucket compared to martial law.  You are taking all rights away from everyone simply because some people are committing illegal acts (that cops have committed as well).   How about they punish the criminals, not the law abiding citizens?

Your post complete reminded me of this:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "  Benjamin Franklin

You have done exactly that and deserve neither.

Sickening
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Time for LEO to take out the trash.

I don't take Martial Law lightly but come on, the excuse of looting for food would carry some weight if they didn't start looting on Day 1.

Time to thin out the herd.

All you LEO's down there, be safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#26]
LA State law...

The Governor Cannot Call for Martial Law..

The Mayor cant either..

The New Orleans Mayors office only has this. Dated Sunday.
Link

CIVIL DISTRICT COURT FOR THE PARISH OF ORLEANS

STATE OF LOUISIANA

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS

PROMULGATION OF EMERGENCY ORDERS

WHEREAS, the National Weather Service has indicated that Hurricane Katrina will likely affect the Louisiana coast with hurricane force winds and heavy rainfall by this evening;

WHEREAS, because of anticipated high lake and marsh tides due to the tidal surge, combined with the possibility of intense thunderstorms, hurricane force winds, and widespread severe flooding, Governor Kathleen Blanco and I, New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin, have each declared a State of Emergency;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, as the Mayor of the City of New Orleans, pursuant to the authority granted by La. Rev. Stat. 29:727, do hereby promulgate and issue the following orders, which shall be effective immediately and which shall remain in effect until the earlier of five days following the date of this issuance or the declaration by the Governor that the State of Emergency no longer exists:

1.     A mandatory evacuation order is hereby called for all of the Parish of Orleans, with only the following exceptions: essential personnel of the United States of America, State of Louisiana and City of New Orleans; essential personnel of regulated utilities and mass transportation services; essential personnel of hospitals and their patients; essential personnel of the media; essential personnel of the Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriffs Office and its inmates and essential personnel of operating hotels and their patrons. Unless covered by one of the aforementioned exceptions, every person is hereby ordered to immediately evacuate the City of New Orleans or, if no other alternative is available, to immediately move to one of the facilities within the City that will be designated as refuges of last resort.

2.     In order to effectuate the mandatory evacuation, at the direction of the Mayor, the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Homeland Security for the City of New Orleans or any member of the New Orleans Police Department, the City may commandeer any private property, including, but not limited to, buildings that may be designated as refuges of last resort and vehicles that may be used to transport people out the area.

The City Attorney is directed to file this declaration promptly in the office of the Clerk of Court and with the Secretary of State.

Last nights clarification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martial law clarified

Tuesday, 9:02 p.m.

The state Attorney General's office on Tuesday sought to clarify reports in some media that "martial law' has been declared in parts of storm-ravaged southeast Louisiana, saying no such term exists in Louisiana law.

But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of a state of emergency gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.

Authorities may also suspend any statute related to the conduct of official business, or any rule issued by a state agency, if complying would "prevent, hinder or delay necessary action'' to mitigate the emergency.

It also gives authority the right to compel evacuations, suspend alcohol and weapons sales and make provisions for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.

The law gives mayors similar authority, except they do not have the right to commandeer private property or make provisions for emergency housing, according to a background brief prepared by the state Attorney General's office.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I could also recognize the need for gun control when I hear about a kid blowing his head off with dad's gun- but then logical thought takes over and kicks that idea out the window.

Do you understand what martial law is?  Gun control, something we all fight for, is just a drop in the bucket compared to martial law.  You are taking all rights away from everyone simply because some people are committing illegal acts (that cops have committed as well).   How about they punish the criminals, not the law abiding citizens?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "  Benjamin Franklin

Sickening

Quick... zip down to NOLA and protest... Stand up for what you believe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

It's always easy to say on the outside looking in.

Martial law shouldn't even exist.

NO, I take that back.
Martial law should mean everyone is his own martial, and there is no law.
THAT! would keep some mofo's in check.
Looting would be officially over. Good manners would be the order of the day.

Anyway you look at it, it would be better than having your rights taken away.
The fact that OUR .gov can get away with that sickens me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought it was the Governors call.

I wouldn't be happy to see martial law declared in my town, it's already under Nazi rule.

ETA: Win_88, thanks for posting the info on ML in NO.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Like last night the AP reporter jumped the gun...

My post topic last night.

New Orleans was placed under martial law    

At this point. The President is the only one that can Declare Martial Law.

Fat Chance on that..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

It's always easy to say on the outside looking in.

Martial law shouldn't even exist.

NO, I take that back.
Martial law should mean everyone is his own martial, and there is no law.
THAT! would keep some mofo's in check.
Looting would be officially over. Good manners would be the order of the day.

Anyway you look at it, it would be better than having your rights taken away.
The fact that OUR .gov can get away with that sickens me.

I disagree.
The fact is there might be a time when it would be in the average citizens best interest to have Martial Law in effect.
It would be the only thing in CERTAIN situations that might hold this Nation together.
'It needs to be better divined and come with a short expiration date and renewal not automatic.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I disagree.
The fact is there might be a time when it would be in the average citizens best interest to have Martial Law in effect.
It would be the only thing in CERTAIN situations that might hold this Nation together.
'It needs to be better divined and come with a short expiration date and renewal not automatic.

Yeah, just like it's in the best interest of the average citizen to take their guns away here
You talk about keeping the nation together?   I would much rather the nation fall apart and have the chance to leave than be herded into a concentration camp to be at the government's disposal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say we air drop ramen avery week for years.
The people that stay can be our own little science experiment.

One where we can introduce whatever scenario we want. One week we can drop more gators. One week bows and arrows.
The next week we can drop cyanide capsules. Basically just see what happens.

ETA: I think we could start with sharks.
Now THAT'S TV worth watching.

Stop it!  You guys are kill'n me!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sickening

Ah, yes! The self-rightous defender of freedom at all costs, with the obligatory Franklin quote and everything.

Yes, friends! Considering the possible good that martial law can do in the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster and complete lawlessness is now the same as calling for a PERMANENT infringement of a guaranteed right!

You people are so predictable. Yeah, martial law is bad, but anarchy is worse.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I disagree.

Yeah, just like it's in the best interest of the average citizen to take their guns away

There is NO situation ever conceivable to take our rights away, not a single one.

You talk about keeping the nation together?   I would much rather the nation fall apart and have the chance to leave than be herded into a concentration camp to be at the government's disposal.

The text in red is a bit "chicken little" don't you think?

You seem to think that everyone in the whole country is as well heeled and as capable as most of us are here.
We can protect ourselves and some of our neighbors but who protects the rest while we're protecting our own?
Who, you?
The fact that you would rather see the country destroyed instead of a temporary suspension of the bill of rights says you don't love this land or you wouldn't say something so asinine.

If they didn't give our country back and rescind the suspension we'll take it back by whatever means need be.
So lighten up Francis, this isn't the Apocalypse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Ah, yes! The self-rightous defender of freedom at all costs, with the obligatory Franklin quote and everything.

Yes, friends! Considering the possible good that martial law can do in the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster and complete lawlessness is now the same as calling for a PERMANENT infringement of a guaranteed right!

Sheesh.

He has been dreaming about this since he was a kid... oh wait..  he still is...

anyway, he just another of the low post counters who dreams about one day being able to kill cops and act like a thug because it looked so cool in Road Warrior and The Postman

Ignore him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Sheesh. hr
Shut your mouth you Godless low life, you make me sick.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#38]
They've got a tough road ahead.

I don't remember the same thing happening last year in florida, not sure why though...

Mayor: Manuel A. Diaz (to Nov. 2005)

City Manager: Joe Arriola

2000 census population (rank): 362,470 (47); % change: 1.1; Male: 180,194 (49.7%); Female: 182,276 (50.3%); White: 241,470 (66.6%); Black: 80,858 (22.3%); American Indian and Alaska Native:, 810 (0.2%); Asian: 2,376 (0.7%); Other race: 19,644 (5.4%); Two or more races: 17,182 (4.7%); Hispanic/Latino: 238,351 (65.8%). 2000 percent population 18 and over: 78.3%; 65 and over: 17.0%; Median age: 37.7.

Mayor: C. Ray Nagin (to May 2006)

2000 census population (rank): 484,674 (31); % change: –2.5; Male: 227,094 (46.9%); Female: 257,580 (53.1%); White: 135,956 (28.1%); Black: 325,947 (67.3%); American Indian and Alaska Native: 991 (0.2%); Asian: 10,972 (2.3%); Other race: 4,498 (0.9%); Two or more races: 6,201 (1.3%); Hispanic/Latino: 14,826 (3.1%). 2000 percent population 18 and over: 73.3%; 65 and over: 11.7%; Median age: 33

Hmm...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Sheesh.

You sir are a tratior!  Evil freedom hating bastard!
J/K - I agree completely.  Not something I'd ever wish for nor would I stay and subject myself to for long, but may be nessisary to get the situation under control.  It's outrageous down there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Sheesh.

Wow whats that i hear?
Why thats you getting the boot for the personal attacks.

You need to grow up boy and respect people who have shown you the same (for the most part)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The fact that you would rather see the country destroyed instead of a temporary suspension of the bill of rights says you don't love this land or you wouldn't say something so asinine.

How do you draw that conclusion?  I love my country, but I hate it the day that martial law is effecting me.  That is simple to understand, even for you.  If martial law is in effect, it is no longer the country that I love, it is Nazi Germany only worse.

If they didn't give our country back and rescind the suspension we'll take it back by whatever means need be.

YEAH!!!!   Now your the tough guy who is going to take his country back after he allowed them to take his guns and put him in a camp!  Very likely
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[\quote] How do you draw that conclusion?  I love my country, but I hate it the day that martial law is effecting me.  That is simple to understand, even for you.  If martial law is in effect, it is no longer the country that I love, it is Nazi Germany only worse.

YEAH!!!!   Now your the tough guy who is going to take his country back after he allowed them to take his guns and put him in a camp!  Very likely

Why simply be thought a fool, when you can speak and remove all doubt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[\quote] How do you draw that conclusion?  I love my country, but I hate it the day that martial law is effecting me.  That is simple to understand, even for you.  If martial law is in effect, it is no longer the country that I love, it is Nazi Germany only worse.

Listen boy I have been in actual real life situations where I used my guns to protect myself and came out on top (Thank My God)
You on the other hand have done what?
I know who trained me and what i and many others here can do if we have to.
What have you ever done for my country?
What have you ever done PERIOID?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What ther fuck is wrong with you?
Who said anything about my guns or anyones guns being taken away and us all carted off to some camp, you on drugs or what
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Sheesh.

WOW 15 whole posts and wet cleanup on isle three....

buhbye nitwit
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Do I? Good.

Please enjoy your stay here. It will be a short one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Fucking idiots.  Now I am a boy and I want to shoot cops The difference is that I am calling you low lives on facts, not false assumptions.   I fought too long and spilt too much blood for what you people are ready to give up to control some looters stealing food and electronics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I? Good.

Please enjoy your stay here. It will be a short one.

A very short one I hope.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening

Sheesh.

I'm the Godless low life, Zaphod is a good Christian (apparently a much better one than you)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Fucking idiots.  Now I am a boy and I want to shoot cops

The difference is that I am calling you low lives on facts, not false assumptions.   I fought too long and spilt too much blood for what you people are ready to give up to control some looters stealing food and electronics.

Where and when did you fight and split blood?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top