Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2001 1:31:11 PM EDT
I know that NY has a mag ban but does that mean I can't get any from out of state through mail order. I see some at gun shows so I guess they are grandfathered.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
New York State's AW/mag ban is the same as the federal AW/mag ban.  If you can own the magazines you're referring to at the federal level, you can own them in New York State (not necessarily NYC though).  So, if the mags were manufactured prior to Septmeber 1994, you can buy as many as you want and possess them in NYS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Does that mean I can buy them through the mail?
I see in some adds that they don't ship hi cap mags to NJ(over 15 rounds) Maryland over 20(if I am correct and Mane( I think 10 rounds) or cali. But I never see NY. Is there a loophole for NY?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
there is no loophole NY state law just mirrors federal law exept the NY state law doesnt sunset so yes  u  can mail order em
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe they cannot ship to NYC, that is the five boro's(Queens,Brooklyn,Staten Island and Manhattan). Long Island and upstate you can ship.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe they cannot ship to NYC, that is the five boro's(Queens,Brooklyn,Staten Island and Manhattan). Long Island and upstate you can ship.
View Quote

Thank God I am not in NYC. I will do a mail order sale soon. I have USA mags and I would like to replace them with USGI. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
section 265.00, definition 23
hi-caps made before sep 1994 are legal from my reading of the law

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum,  feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thir-
teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity  of,  or  that
can  be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of
ammunition; provided, however,  that  such  term  does  not  include  an
attached  tubular  device  designed  to accept, and capable of operating
only with,
View Quote

definition 22 defines an assault weapon

[url]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/law82/art68.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been researching this for awhile.  Talked to NYSP Pistol Permits and Records Division, and Sen McGee's office.  Let me put some NYS fears to rest.

Yes - the NYS AW and mag ban is an exact mirror image of the Federal laws.  You can own any preban guns or mags.

Why did they bother spending the taxpayer's money on enacting a law that was already in place?
The answer is simple.  The NYS AW ban was a compromise.  McGee wanted an entire ban.  The rest of NY did not.  McGee settled for a mirror image law so that, if the feds ever repeal THEIR AW ban, NY would still have their's in place.

If those mags aren't labelled "LEO", stock up.  If McGee's office eventually gets it's way, you won't be able to buy a Daisy Repeater without an act of Congress.

Hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top