Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2001 6:41:04 AM EDT
Went to my local gun shop today to order my first Ar-15. A Bushmaster with a 14.5  barrel with Y-comp.He says he could order me a Bushmaster but the bad news is the one I wanted was illegal.So I tell him and a cop that happened to be there and agreeing with the gun shop guy, that I thought that it was legal as long as the comp was soldered on.We ended up having a somewhat heated 20 minute discussion on the subject.So I guess the question is who was right?Is it illegal to have this rifle, or is it just illegal in NY State.Any help you can give  will be greatly apperciated.Thank You.

KOG
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It's legal here, since the comp is permanent and since it is permanent, makes the barrel the legal length.  I dont know if NY just has some special commie law against it though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It's legal
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Legal....which gun shop by the way?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The "post-ban" Bushmaster uppers as advertised are completely legal in NYS.

I'd say find another gun shop to do business with (I know, easier said than done).
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the replies.I did some research before I decided on the one I wanted .I pretty much figured I was right.I live in a small town in upstate NY and this is the only game in town for a 50 mile radius.I usually dont use this shop because all they have are racks of hunting rifles and .22s and everything is overpriced by several hundred dollars.But they do transfers $25 the cheapest I could find in the area.Thanks.

KOG
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
It is absolutely legal,one time I had a similar problem with a NY gunshop FFL.I was looking to order a SAR-1 from Century Arms for $230.00 and I went in to ask if they would do the transfer,the guy about throws a fit saying "That is an assault weapon,haven't you ever heard about the Assault Weapon ban?".Now instead of trying to explain 922(R) to this moron I went home and went on the NRA website and printed out NY's gun laws.I go back to the dealer and showed it to him and he FREAKING ASKS IF HE CAN KEEP THE PRINTOUT!!Is it me or should we not expect people with FFL's to ,in the least,KNOW THE FREAKING FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS?He read through it and finishes by saying "Okay,so lets order you that SAR-1,my transfer fee is $80.00.".$80.00?ARE YOU FING NUTS?So on I went and found an FFL who knows what they are talking about.The first question I ask them is are they familiar with state and federal gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Even some of the larger shops put the ole` "thems the rules" attitude or mouth thier opinions on ya, instead of producing satisfied customers like you might think they would want to?????.............[uzi]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Its perfectly LEGAL!  You want one?  Call 1-845-628-6555 between 2-6pm and talk to Don.  He will get it for you!  
[url]www.cyburban.com/~bluemtn[/url] He has a bushy & Colt in stock, not this version but he will get it for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again everyone.I liked Josey idea about printing up the laws and bringing them to the gun shop to prove I was right.I went the the NRA website but couldn`t find anything about barrel lenght in NY.Would anyone know where I might find this information?
 The more I think about this the more steamed I get.These guys never were to bright. When I went into their shop last year to order a  receiver for an FAL .The guy insisted that the receiver for the FAL was the lower receiver not the upper .Never could change his mind.Their are just to few good gun shops in my area.

KOG

P.S. Skypilot thanks for the link they look like a pretty good bunch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm an FFL in Ithaca; drop me a line if I can help you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is the link to the info I got on NRA website;  www.nraila.org/research/19990716-FirearmLawSummary-010.html

I guess you'll have to cut and paste,for some reason the link doesn't come up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]
It is only illegal if you believe in unconstitutional laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
KOG....suggestion.....go to armalite site and do dealer search for ny..........[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is absolutely legal,one time I had a similar problem with a NY gunshop FFL.I was looking to order a SAR-1 from Century Arms for $230.00 and I went in to ask if they would do the transfer,the guy about throws a fit saying "That is an assault weapon,haven't you ever heard about the Assault Weapon ban?".Now instead of trying to explain 922(R) to this moron I went home and went on the NRA website and printed out NY's gun laws.I go back to the dealer and showed it to him and he FREAKING ASKS IF HE CAN KEEP THE PRINTOUT!!Is it me or should we not expect people with FFL's to ,in the least,KNOW THE FREAKING FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS?He read through it and finishes by saying "Okay,so lets order you that SAR-1,my transfer fee is $80.00.".$80.00?ARE YOU FING NUTS?So on I went and found an FFL who knows what they are talking about.The first question I ask them is are they familiar with state and federal gun laws.
View Quote

One gun shop said it was illegal to for me to move my handguns out of state(when I was moving) to another state. He said I had to go through a FFL. I know for a fact the US code provides me with the right to move my handguns,longuns and shotguns from one residencc to my new residence as long as I follow all laws in both states. You can also transport a handgun through an anti gun state as long as it is a through journey and no stops are made except gas and emergency. As long as you are allowed to own it in point A and point B.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Unless restricted by local law (NYC, etc.) if it is legal under federal law it is legal in NYS.

It sounds like he is confusing a postban SAW with the rifle you want. Under federal and NYS law your rifle is NOT a SAW. Your FFL is misinformed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks everyone for the comments and sugestions.I called the dealer back and informed him it was indeed legal to own this weapon in NY and that he should inform his cop friend as to keep him from arresting someone who was perfectly legal.He didn`t take it to well.No matter.Come to find out after all this the place I was going to get the rifle from was out of them,but I think I found another source.Thanks again.

KOG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top