Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Fixed link
[url]www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel060903.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
"Butterfield wrote that BATF "lacks the authority to regulate sales by individuals at gun shows or elsewhere." It's true that a person who occasionally sells guns (e.g., someone who sells an old rifle to a friend at work) is not required to comply with BATF's paperwork and tax requirements. But any person who sells a gun in violation of any federal law (such as by transferring a gun to a convicted felon) can be prosecuted by BATF."

When I read this I was shocked.  Does this mean that if someone sells a gun at a gunshow to someone who has a criminal record they can go to jail?  That doesn't make sense to me.  Sellers at gunshows aren't required to do a background check, so how could they go to jail if they sold to a person with a criminal record?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
 Does this mean that if someone sells a gun at a gunshow to someone who has a criminal record they can go to jail?  
View Quote

Yes, in most states if you sell to a felon then YOU can be prosecuted. In some states you cannot sell to another private individual at all, a FFL must do the transfer.

Keep in mind that "can be" prosecuted is not the same as "will be".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top