Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 7:00:46 PM EDT
I posted this in the Hometown forum Vermont:

NYT--Gone Fishing, With a Firearm - A Cherished Sport in Vermont
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My boss served in WWII as a radio operator up in Greenland.  He'd stand on the dock and wait for whitefish to swim near him on the dock.  Then he'd shoot the water with his M1 carbine.  He said the shock of the bullet would stun or kill the fish, which he'd scoop up with a net.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I see they mentioned VA's Clinch River. Good carp shooting supposedly.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather went fishing with grenades in WW2.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If it helps control rough fish and is safely done, I guess it's ok with me.  Mostly bow and arrow with reel are used in other states and seems like it would be more fun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not many carp in the Clinch.  Just those huge suckers.  I've seen some very large redhorse in that river.  Grew up on it's banks and own about 20 acres on the river.

Not many still shoot fish, at least not as many as there were 10 or 15 years ago.  1917 Enfields were the old stand-by's.  One friend shot with a .458 Win Mag for a long time, also a .416 Remington Mag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not many carp in the Clinch.  Just those huge suckers.  I've seen some very large redhorse in that river.  Grew up on it's banks and own about 20 acres on the river.

Not many still shoot fish, at least not as many as there were 10 or 15 years ago.  1917 Enfields were the old stand-by's.  One friend shot with a .458 Win Mag for a long time, also a .416 Remington Mag.

Thanks for the info. Any public shooting spots?

CRC
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember reading about a Marine vet who was on Tulagi and they hunted sharks with a 1903 Springfield.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I seem to recall an incident off the coast of Florida involving WWII fighters, live amunition, a school of sharks, and strafing runs.

Add it all up, and it equals bloody water, shark infested feeding frenzy.....

Anybody else hear of this? (I want to say Chuck Yeager for some reason)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Would this require a hunting permit or a fishing permit?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That article seems to condemn the sport of fish shootin' Certainly a surprising stance from the New York Times.

Yeah, I got that drift too when I was reading the story. But like everything else in the news media, its more enternment than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hard to believe,but I am assured it was true.I know in the south they do this with catfish,but this was Bass,much smaller than the cats they catch down south!

In San Diego Calif, Wild Animal Park, they have this man-made lake(pond for some of you folks) that started out with zero fish life. But sea birds apparently dropped fish eggs into the pond, and they eventually hatched into little catfish, over the years with zero predators and fishing, these catfish became huge, the guide told us that she saw a catfish attack a duck, and the duck was gone in seconds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have been fish shooting several times over the past two weeks.

Alligator Gar in a  farm pond.  Some of the bastards are 3 footers.

www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/sidetrip/images/tline7.jpg

They swim up nice and slow in the thick weeds in a the flooded edged.  All you do is move in slowly and make the shot.  AR15 or a .40 Handgun.  Both work well.

savethegar.org/images/bft_alligator02.jpg

Concussion stuns them if you miss.  Just scoop them up by hand and fling them on to the shoreline.  Otherwise they can recover and swim away.

I have some non-digital pics of them to be developed.  Will try and remember to get a photo-CD as well.

TRG

This might be a really stupid question...but you don't actually eat the bony things, do you?  Dad & his cousins used to gar hunt when they were growing up in Arkansas.  .22lr rifle, a spotlight & a bridge to shoot off of so the shots were straight down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top