Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:33:53 AM EDT
I was told you can only posses pre ban assault type weapons in New York. My question is, I have seen a ton of RPD, JLD PTR91's, No ban or post AR's for sale from this state. What is the scoop?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 7:37:18 AM EDT by A-nus]
You can own post-ban guns in NY, you can't own "NO-BAN" guns in NY, as confusing as that is i hope it clears things up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:37:25 AM EDT
I'll defer to a NY resident for the details, but it's my understanding that post ban receivers are ok, provided that post ban "features" are adhered to. If you want something like a flash supressor or collapsible stock, you'll need to put them on a pre-ban lower. In other words, I THINK New York models the now defunct federal AWB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
YAh, NY basically is stuck with the old Fed AWB. You can build new AR's and such but they have to adhere to the old AWB standards; no muzzle threads, no flash supressors, no bayonet lugs, no collapsing or folding stocks.

<-- NY refugee

Now, from what I hear, the gun shows are awash with no-ban AR's and such. I'm told NYSPolice do not have/did not have an advisory out about any enforcment of the ban..that is, I don't think they really care. Note this is NOT legal advice, I am NOT a lawyer, and if you get jailed by the po-po for having a new-made folding AK, I am NOT responsible for your stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:11 AM EDT
In a nutshell, the ban never ended in NY

You can have a tricked out pre-ban, with all the goodies.

Or you can have a post-ban, neutered and humble though it be.

What you can't have is a no-ban, ie. a new lower with any AWB features.

NY/NJ HT forum has links here

fish
Top Top