Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 7:33:53 AM EDT
I was told you can only posses pre ban assault type weapons in New York. My question is, I have seen a ton of RPD, JLD PTR91's, No ban or post AR's for sale from this state. What is the scoop?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You can own post-ban guns in NY, you can't own "NO-BAN" guns in NY, as confusing as that is i hope it clears things up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll defer to a NY resident for the details, but it's my understanding that post ban receivers are ok, provided that post ban "features" are adhered to. If you want something like a flash supressor or collapsible stock, you'll need to put them on a pre-ban lower. In other words, I THINK New York models the now defunct federal AWB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#3]
YAh, NY basically is stuck with the old Fed AWB. You can build new AR's and such but they have to adhere to the old AWB standards; no muzzle threads, no flash supressors, no bayonet lugs, no collapsing or folding stocks.

<-- NY refugee

Now, from what I hear, the gun shows are awash with no-ban AR's and such. I'm told NYSPolice do not have/did not have an advisory out about any enforcment of the ban..that is, I don't think they really care. Note this is NOT legal advice, I am NOT a lawyer, and if you get jailed by the po-po for having a new-made folding AK, I am NOT responsible for your stupidity.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
In a nutshell, the ban never ended in NY

You can have a tricked out pre-ban, with all the goodies.

Or you can have a post-ban, neutered and humble though it be.

What you can't have is a no-ban, ie. a new lower with any AWB features.

NY/NJ HT forum has links here

fish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top