NYT-Toyota Closes In on G.M. to become #1 carmaker
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a matter of time...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The days of American made cars are coming to an end. The Japanese automakers do it right. Look at Toyota, Nissan, Mazda to name a few. I'm sorry, I love America but the American automakers have no clue what consumers really want. The American CARS suck major ass, if you buy an American CAR you are clueless.

We happen to do trucks very well, but the Japanese have figured it out, if you doubt me look at the new Toyota & Nissan full size.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Toyota IS the #1 manufacturer!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The days of American made cars are coming to an end. The Japanese automakers do it right. Look at Toyota, Nissan, Mazda to name a few. I'm sorry, I love America but the American automakers have no clue what consumers really want. The American CARS suck major ass, if you buy an American CAR you are clueless.

We happen to do trucks very well, but the Japanese have figured it out, if you doubt me look at the new Toyota & Nissan full size.

In the days of yore, when GM built a car, people would buy it, but in the past few years that hasn't been true because overall quality-wise, GM vehicles have been disposable and has a very limited life, around 150,000 miles or so.  I've seen many Hondas going strong after 200,000 miles.

The way that the USA car manufacturers are competiting against foreign competition is just to cede them market share, ie closing plants.  GM is hoping that the PRC will be the saving grace for the company, but that remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazing how the free market works.......

Wait, lets put price controls on overseas autos!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of US car sales are to fleets, like rental cars, government agencies etc, so the japanese have a higher percentage of sales to actual consumers than the bulk sales numbers would make you think.

Have to give GM credit for trying to get into China.

GM has been in China far longer than any other large automaker.
The Japanese will never have a market in China, for the same reason they don't have a market in Korea.

BTW, 25% of GM's annual profits come from China.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn shame but this is inevitable now.

GM will shrink down its size and HAVE to focus on large luxury autos and trucks.  ***IF*** they ever wake up form their business coma, they can crawl back to the top.

***IF*** they learn a damn thing from this self-inflicted toilet flush.

Let's see:  Grossly overpaid union employees, grossly overpaid upper and middle managers, poor product development budgets and goals, unresponsive to market desires, poor customer service in general.

Gee, what else have I left out?

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Gee, what else have I left out? CMOS
GM makes more money on the financing than on the car, so the product is second fiddle to the paperwork. So if you have trouble financing a Toyota, you can hit up GM for a loan!

Toyota, made Taliban-tough for rugged EXTREME duty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of US car sales are to fleets, like rental cars, government agencies etc, so the japanese have a higher percentage of sales to actual consumers than the bulk sales numbers would make you think.

The Japanese will never have a market in China, for the same reason they don't have a market in Korea.

And GM has been being ripped off by the Chinese longer than anyone else? Ever hear of the Chery? It's an exact copy of whatever it is GM was trying to sell in China land. That's why they are suing the crap out of Bricklin trying to keep it from being imported over here.

All of these car manufacturers that are falling all over themselves to build stuff in China are going to find themselves being ripped off by the locals. These guys copy things faster than a real Xerox machine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And GM has been being ripped off by the Chinese longer than anyone else? Ever hear of the Chery? It's an exact copy of whatever it is GM was trying to sell in China land. That's why they are suing the crap out of Bricklin trying to keep it from being imported over here.

All of these car manufacturers that are falling all over themselves to build stuff in China are going to find themselves being ripped off by the locals. These guys copy things faster than a real Xerox machine.

I said PROFIT.  As in, "making money".
And people doing business in China are making a lot.
I know, because it's one of my regions for FY 05, 06 and 07 (I'm in automotive supply, Tier One).

Yes, the Chinese copy anything and everything.
If GM weren't in China, they'd still copy GM (and Ford, and Chrysler, and ...) designs.
Hell, the Chinese government sanctions the pirating of software, music and movies.

However, one way to stem the tide is to have an actual presence in the country.
There will come a day when GM patent lawyers visit the Chinese government to put a stop to it.  If GM is large enough, it will happen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold a 89 Accord to a co-worker for $500 a few years ago..Car had 240,000 miles on it and I swore it had one foot in the grave..AC gone, passenger side door, jammed shut, main seal gushing oil etc..The guy who had it before me was a drunk driver who abused the shit out of it and needed a quick sale to pay legal bills..So when I ran into the guy I sold it to recently I asked him how the car did...He had put another 75,000 miles on it including 4 trips from Oklahoma to Atlanta
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wait, lets put price controls on overseas autos!  

ah, burrdogsan, no work because toyota make many cah here in united state as werr! so solly!

didn't japan just sign some huge deal with china? the young chinese taking over in bidness are like the young vietnamese, "war? what war? baby-san need new pair of shoes! you show me money! mau!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the young chinese taking over in bidness are like the young vietnamese, "war? what war? baby-san need new pair of shoes! you show me money! mau!"

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#15]
They're already number one.  They’re just closing in on selling the most.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Toyota is getting ready to start production of the Prius in China for sale in China.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I doubt that for the same reasons we buy the goods of our CURRENT and former enemies.
People don't care about being patriotic or doing whats right, just gimme the cheapest deal.
Huge flocks of ignorant sheep.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#18]
GM: a pension fund and insurance company that manufactures marginal vehicles on the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top