Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2010 9:01:16 AM EDT
I am building a KISS carbine for traveling - as my folks live in upstate NY, I have a question. The configuration at this time is as follows: C7 upper with post-ban 16" barrel, no bayo lug or FH - no threads, target crown. A1 fixed stock, A1 PG and post-ban magazines, since it's not a pre-ban lower. I will be running a used RAS on it, and plan on using a stubby VFG. Does that count as a separate PG for a count of two, or not? In other words, does the second 'pistol grip' put me over the legal limit of one 'bad' feature? I am guessing no, or an Auto Ordnance 'Tommy Gun' with gangster front grip would not be legal. I am on the lookout for a pre-ban lower, but for now, this is it as I can't afford another lower right now. Just want to know if running the VFG is legal in NY State. (NOT the city). I hate stupid laws like this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT - anyone know?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of a VFG being considered a banned feature.  IIRC the ban language says "grip protruding prominently below the action" or something like that... and the barrel isn't the action.

There's no reason you can't run preban standard capacity mags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've never heard of a VFG being considered a banned feature.  IIRC the ban language says "grip protruding prominently below the action" or something like that... and the barrel isn't the action.

There's no reason you can't run preban standard capacity mags.

What this guy said.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, that's what I thought - I have a number of pre-ban mags I bought for this very reason, but I'd hate to get busted for a VFG if it's going to be an issue. The rest of their requirements are just as silly, so you never know. Besides, a rail system and VFG look 'evil' right?

I live in AZ, and as far as I'm concerned, NYS gun laws are unconstitutional - what part of 'shall not be infringed' don't they friggin' understand? I don't plan on telling them the sling is from an Uzi either...

BTW, there is a bill that's been around about a year that makes their laws even MORE restrictive, and requires owners of pre-ban weapons to surrender them so they can be verified of meeting 922(r) standards. WTF is up with that? Looks like it's been pretty much ignored for the last year, but anytime I read a bill like that it makes me shiver, even though I don't live there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top