BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wave,

What kinds of guns and ammo do they carry?

Are those M4s or AR-15s?

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I think toilet plungers would keep the public in line.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wave, heh. My cousin is on the "fast-track" in NYPD...made Sgt early...they just tapped him for IA.

(No, he's not happy with that.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen these teams on T.V. several times walking around with ar-15s and mini-14s in a patrol sling carry while covering people right and left with there weapons! These guys need to learn some muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea those boys look cool and all, but they won't stop a determined terrorist.  All those fancy weapons in the NYPD inventory are no match for a terrorist asshole with a bomb.  Just ask the jews, or you could ask those working the Olympic Park detail. . .

I often wonder how much taxpayer money is being wasted on all those impotent gestures (e.g. cops with full body armor, ninja suits, the latest weapons, helos over head, etc.).  What the NYPD realy needs is several bomb dogs and several of those machines that detect traces of bomb making materials.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Wave.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
In CONUS, unlike OCONUS, there is no precedent for [b]"AKs to shoot up the place like in the last Clancy book"[/b]  Bombs are what is used here.  Clancy is fiction LOOSELY based on fact.  Remeber the escape pod on Airforce One??

With regard to [b]"who says they don't have bomb dogs and sniffers that you didn't see a photo of?"[/b]  Isn't that really the point?  WE NEED photos of that!  That is where meaningful deterence will occur. . .
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was able to examine a round from one of the magazines, Lake City Brass. That's all I remember, was a couple of months ago.
View Quote

They have FMJs? In an urban environment, aren't they really dangerous because they ricochet on hard surfaces and strike innocents? I was at Lytle Creek, CAlif(60 miles east of L.A., where they had those nasty fires this past summer) shooting range a few years back before they were a controlled range, I hit a rock, and I can hear this buzzing noise flying over my head.

JPPJ: It doesn't have to be bombs, just an ordinary rifles, a runaway bus who knows, will be suffice because the BGs have the element of surprise. The good guys have to prepare for every contengincy, whereas the BGs on one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In CONUS, unlike OCONUS, there is no precedent for [b]"AKs to shoot up the place like in the last Clancy book"[/b]  Bombs are what is used here.  Clancy is fiction LOOSELY based on fact.  Remeber the escape pod on Airforce One??

With regard to [b]"who says they don't have bomb dogs and sniffers that you didn't see a photo of?"[/b]  Isn't that really the point?  WE NEED photos of that!  That is where meaningful deterence will occur. . .
View Quote

Yeah, photos will provide meaningful deterence. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, I hear ya . . .

It may be that [i]I am[/i] a little "detered" by a pic like that. . . .

It just makes me wonder that if things are trully to the point where we need cops in full ninja suits with kevlar and machine guns prowling the streets to make things safe; then, things must be a whole lot worse that our fearless leaders are letting on. . .
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Me thinks the terrorists were more successful than most people give them credit for. America has changed since 9/11 (airport INsecurity, Patriot Act, increased police presence everywhere) and these types of changes may be necessary [b]now[/b], but they are not conducive to a free, open society like we once were.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 Clancy is fiction LOOSELY based on fact.  Remeber the escape pod on Airforce One??

View Quote

clancy had nothing to do with that movie...
he did however write a book about a terrorist flying a plane into the capitol building in the 90's....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In CONUS, unlike OCONUS, there is no precedent for [b]"AKs to shoot up the place like in the last Clancy book"[/b]  
View Quote

LMAO! We should ony try to protect against things that have already happened! Rich, Pal! LMAO!

I remember the fifth time terrs ran aircraft into major buildings... Oh, wait, that attack was unprecedented was it not?! Hell that could not have happened then, could it?

I ain't been shot yet, no precedent at all for that... I guess I may vest up anyway!

Think simple thoughts... That will help ya!

LMAO!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow . . . seems I hit a nerve with some of the cop members . . .
[BD] [BD] [BD] [BD]

Sorry FiveO, din't mean to upset you . . .
[>(] [>(] [>(] [>(]

OF COURSE we should protect against things that have already happened . . . its called an "SOP."

OF COURSE there was a precedent for flying a plane into a building in this country . . . do you not remember the dude who flew his single engine plane into the White House in the 1990s?

[;D] [;D]

Hey, . . . wait a minute . . . here is a thought . . . how about giving the CITIZENS of NY and NYC more 2nd Amendment freedoms, and giving the cops less military hardware.  An example (or precedent) for you: the cops--locals, state, and feds--with all their high speed military type hardware did not catch the DC Snipers--some joe citizen trucker did. . . .

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
JPPJ is actually right.  Operation Hercules, Sampson and the other high visability programs are all smoke and mirrors to help the average joe and tourist alike feel safe in NYC.  The real work is being done outside of camara shot by our Joint Terrorist Task Force and a few lesser know departments.  All of which should be kept on the down low, as well as what the department carries/uses, because as we all know (but sometimes forget) this is the internet after all, and any Tom, Dick or Muhammed has access to this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow . . . seems I hit a nerve with some of the cop members . . .
[BD] [BD] [BD] [BD]

Sorry FiveO, din't mean to upset you . . .
[>(] [>(] [>(] [>(]

View Quote

No, Pal, you did not upset me at all. You [b]amused[/b] me! Thanks!
[ROFL2] [ROFL] [LOLabove] [LOL]
Simple things amuse me sometimes. It is a weakness.

Have a good one!  [:D]

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top