Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:12:49 PM EDT
Why don't they just nuke her to death???
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, because radiation is bad?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Uh... cause it would not work and there is that little fall out thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
And add a bunch of heat energy to the storm? Do you want to see what a cat 10 storm looks like?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And add a bunch of heat energy to the storm? Do you want to see what a cat 10 storm looks like?

yes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about that today, except why not a hydrogen bomb. Freeze the bitch into submission.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
damn how many times does this question come up?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be really easy to identify the Rita evacuees and distribute aid to them.  They'd be glowing in the dark.

Actually, no.  They would just be the ones without hair and large purple bloody sores on their skin.  That is until they die a few days later.  That goes for most of the South in this case.

Really stupid idea.  Beyond stupid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Has any GOV ever tried to bomb a hurricane? If it feeds off warm water/air. Why not experiment with some type of a refrigerant type bomb. Cool it down to say a Cat 2. Hell, it's the 21st century. Were suppose to be battleing Clingons an shit, and we have yet to slow a hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising.

In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn't raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It's difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.

Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn't promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it's still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world's lights many times a year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to do it....I needed a good laugh and you guys gave it to me...thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahh...bastard
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy at work suggested the same thing yesterday.

I told him that would probably not be a good idea. While the high winds and strom surge of the hurricane could kill a few people, the radiation would almost definitely kill all the people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising.

In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn't raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It's difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.

Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn't promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it's still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world's lights many times a year.

Well that cleared it up.. WOW just WOW

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm amazed you're the first person to think of this idea. I'm even more amazed you're the first person to make a post about it too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Has any GOV ever tried to bomb a hurricane? If it feeds off warm water/air. Why not experiment with some type of a refrigerant type bomb. Cool it down to say a Cat 2. Hell, it's the 21st century. Were suppose to be battleing Clingons an shit, and we have yet to slow a hurricane.

Read this: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9440978/
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had to do it....I needed a good laugh and you guys gave it to me...thanks

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms...

Why the hell don't people include links or cites for their quoted material?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was about to say that exact same thing but you beat me to it..
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms...

Because he wanted to look like he came up with the response himself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Imagine what the guests think that visit this site. "Wow, these retards own guns???"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#21]
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9440978/

maybe that's what happened to those ships in burmuda.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Imagine what the guests think that visit this site. "Wow, these retards own guns???"

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because he wanted to look like he came up with the response himself.

He doesn't sound bright enough to tie his shoes for himself, but I suspect you are correct.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Give the guy a break, he just wanted to get a rise out of some folks here, and it looks like he succeeded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
LoL - you guys have it all wrong - Bush sent commandos to  make these hurricanes - dont you guys know anything ? sheesh - its all bush's fault
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Give the guy a break, he just wanted to get a rise out of some folks here, and it looks like he succeeded.

Give a troll a break? So, how often were you dropped as a child?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I know some of you are glad that she left FOX.............da-da-damn, NUKE Rita?!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a Pearl Necklace.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ETA looks like he was joking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
This all stems from the magic 'oogy-boogy' idea that people have about nuclear fucking weapons.

All of that stems from the leftist disarmament crowd screaming, "OMFG! Nuclear weapons! There's enough to nuke the entire world 30 times! We're all gonna diiiiieeeeee!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was not aware that he was a troll.  Looks like a paying member to me, just fucking around, no harm done.  Am I missing something here, Tom, or is it just your sandy vagina?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I was not aware that he was a troll.

Then consider yourself corrected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Evidence of trollish activity
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
geez.
We see this thread every time there is a hurricane.
Don't be stuck on stupid, hooah?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was not aware that he was a troll.  Looks like a paying member to me, just fucking around, no harm done.  Am I missing something here, Tom, or is it just your sandy vagina?

You can be a paying member and still be a troll. You're making a good example of this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can be a paying member and still be a troll. You're making a good example of this.

I aint no troll.  Still doesn't answer the question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I aint no troll.  Still doesn't answer the question.

Quit defending one then.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Look fucker, this thread was a joke, and as far as I could tell no harm/trolling was intended.  All of a sudden everyone starts calling , and I simply couldn't make the connection between a harmless thread and the need to out this dude as a troll.  I guess it doesn't matter, whatever, just thought people should have given the guy a break.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5f.html

Lemme guess...you're one of those guys that always plagiarised in school.

That implies he made it past 3rd grade. Which in this case, is untrue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Look fucker, this thread was a joke, and as far as I could tell no harm/trolling was intended.  All of a sudden everyone starts calling , and I simply couldn't make the connection between a harmless thread and the need to out this dude as a troll.  I guess it doesn't matter, whatever, just thought people should have given the guy a break.

Are you done talking yet?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Jesus, some folks here a little too serious about the internet.  Take your pissing match, roboman, it's yours.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Jesus, some folks here a little too serious about the internet.  Take your pissing match, roboman, it's yours.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

roboman, whats your problem - you've been trolling peoples threads alot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#45]
side effect of buyer's guilt?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

BUSHMAN15 must be your troll account, judging by your vigorous defense of him/it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
damn how many times does this question come up?

... what time does grade school let out?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Holy crap batman....I go away to play a little tournament poker and I come back to a fire storm.

Not sure what a troll is but that ain't me..just a humble engineer that got an email from my brother who is a pilot and gets all kinds of weather related stuff and that article was what he sent me....that's just how I got it....I have no idea who wrote it....wasn't me though.

I thought it was funny and the idea of a hydrogen bomb to freeze the bitch into submission made me rol on the ground.

I guess some folks have a humor and others don't.

No harm intended....have the thread locked if you don't like it.    Oh and while we are at it here having me for dinner....why don't someone explain to me how this makes me a troll....please ....anyone?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Holy crap batman....I go away to play a little tournament poker and I come back to a fire storm.

Not sure what a troll is but that ain't me..just a humble engineer that got an email from my brother who is a pilot and gets all kinds of weather related stuff and that article was what he sent me....that's just how I got it....I have no idea who wrote it....wasn't me though.

I thought it was funny and the idea of a hydrogen bomb to freeze the bitch into submission made me rol on the ground.

I guess some folks have a humor and others don't.

No harm intended....have the thread locked if you don't like it.    Oh and while we are at it here having me for dinner....why don't someone explain to me how this makes me a troll....please ....anyone?

I'd like to see the definition of a troll.  Can somebody please elaborate?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh, and thanks 45auto for the back...somefolks are just a little too whitey tighty these days.

Must be the $5.00 a gallon gas that's coming next week.

The rest of ya'll have a good one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top