Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/26/2013 1:57:51 AM EDT
Why are some of you in favor of NSA spying on every day phone conversations? Emails, Skype calls and video calls? and the government asking providers for  our passwords? Browsing habits?

Some of you work in that sector. Why do you speak down to us like we're shit? What makes you so worthy of respect over the servicemen who died in combat against our enemies? Explain.

Since when is giving up our privacy, our guns, getting bullied by the IRS, and Constitutional protections worth it? Oh, some two teenagers set pressure cooker bombs at a race? But given the wide range of unlimited powers you have, you couldn't get a tip on that even when the Russian government alerted you guys of it. No the majority of your operation isn't outward. It's inward of its own citizens.

It seems to me you very people cause more harm to the American way of life than the actual terrorists. I know you people are on Arfcom, and i know some of you sopport this crap.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for Josh's excuses.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, it's just getting worse.

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.

If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.

"I've certainly seen them ask for passwords," said one Internet industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We push back."

A second person who has worked at a large Silicon Valley company confirmed that it received legal requests from the federal government for stored passwords. Companies "really heavily scrutinize" these requests, the person said. "There's a lot of 'over my dead body.'"

Some of the government orders demand not only a user's password but also the encryption algorithm and the so-called salt, according to a person familiar with the requests. A salt is a random string of letters or numbers used to make it more difficult to reverse the encryption process and determine the original password. Other orders demand the secret question codes often associated with user accounts.
View Quote

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595529-38/feds-tell-web-firms-to-turn-over-user-account-passwords/

Impersonate the user, huh? Wow, that'd be a GREAT way to destroy Tea Party sorts. Connect them to illegal things or have them send threatening email they didn't send. 2013 version of a drop gun.

Wondering if it'd be best to set up a personal mail server in the building.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll just tag this for when I get home

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag for Josh's excuses.
View Quote

We could really use Dave_A's view on this as well.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tag for Josh's excuses.
View Quote

It's a shame we lose people like John Noveske, but people like Josh stay forever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595529-38/feds-tell-web-firms-to-turn-over-user-account-passwords/

Impersonate the user, huh? Wow, that'd be a GREAT way to destroy Tea Party sorts. Connect them to illegal things or have them send threatening email they didn't send. 2013 version of a drop gun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.

If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.

"I've certainly seen them ask for passwords," said one Internet industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We push back."

A second person who has worked at a large Silicon Valley company confirmed that it received legal requests from the federal government for stored passwords. Companies "really heavily scrutinize" these requests, the person said. "There's a lot of 'over my dead body.'"

Some of the government orders demand not only a user's password but also the encryption algorithm and the so-called salt, according to a person familiar with the requests. A salt is a random string of letters or numbers used to make it more difficult to reverse the encryption process and determine the original password. Other orders demand the secret question codes often associated with user accounts.

I am seriously worried of what will come of all of this in the coming years, I'm 26 and just since I entered HS and actually started paying attention, shit has gotten so far out of hand I couldn't have fathomed it. I was a sophomore when 9/11 happened and it's shocking how far we've let our government slip in such a short time.

It sure doesn't feel like America is "winning".
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
OP you're spot on.

The gov fanboys here disturb me a lot. Even IF they're right. Even IF the Feds are just using this to go after really bad people. Will it always be that way?  I think we know all know how willing the government is to abuse it's power.  

Think about how "tea baggers" and pro liberty types are view by big gov today.  Now think 15-20 years into the future.  

Kinda scary giving them this much power.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP you're spot on.

The gov fanboys here disturb me a lot. Even IF they're right. Even IF the Feds are just using this to go after really bad people. Will it always be that way?  I think we know all know how willing the government is to abuse it's power.  

Think about how "tea baggers" and pro liberty types are view by big gov today.  Now think 15-20 years into the future.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP you're spot on.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

They knew that. It's why they created the documents they did, argued vehemently over long nights in crowded rooms, to keep it in check. Documents that have been nibbled at over the 20th century, and shredded entirely in this one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I was dissapointed with the house too.  Not surprised, but disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
In the coming years that will turn to compete and utter contempt.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already there for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Well fuck,

Our constitution seems to be completly fucking irrelevant now.

Welcome to the Soviet Union, Comrades.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Another reason to be a proud American.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#14]
If terrorist hate us because of our freedom, shouldn't it be a mild discomfort now?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I never liked the Patriot Act from the start. I told all of my friends that were hoping for it to pass that a good way to gauge a piece of legislation that gives more power to the government is to visualize it being used by a government being completely run by their most dire political adversaries.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Nobody here works in that field. A few toss around some attitude and technical understanding that was outdated by the late 90's, but genuine NSA spooks they are not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nobody here works in that field. A few toss around some attitude and technical understanding that was outdated by the late 90's, but genuine NSA spooks they are not.
View Quote

Misdirection.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the East Germans need to understand the machinations of the Statsi to understand that they were being spied on?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did the East Germans need to understand the machinations of the Statsi to understand that they were being spied on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misunderstand. I'm just saying that the few self-proclaimed 'experts' we have popping up in the various NSA threads, saying how it can't be done, etc and so forth, are pretty much just full of shit.

Of course it can be done, and it is being done. Though the GOP doesn't care, and most of the American people don't care, so it's not going away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Everyone who voted Against Congressman Amash's bill to curtail spying on US citizens by the government is an enemy of the public and must be voted out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you know? Did you check all of our secret files on the servers in Utah?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesnt Josh work in that field? or is he just have a fetish for boot licking?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#23]
But...but...but we still have guns and that means we are more free than anyone else in the world.

You just don't know what it takes to keep you free from the outside world.
The 4th amendment only covers your papers, you know, papers, like in the sheets you write on, and if you don't agree I'll spend hours not telling you why I'm right but on some niggling detail in the constitution or from a past court case.
If you don't like that why don't you go out and change it, change the system through your votes, man?
If you don't like that why don't you just leave?
I'm not going to argue because Daddy knows best and I'm just too smart for you, because I know minute details yet completely miss the forest for the trees, oh and I don't want to have anyone mess with my pension.

Did I miss anything from the counterpoints of our resident state goons (josh, John, fedDC, cinncinatus, etc)?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Forget the Boston bombing incident as a reason.  We had clear intelligence from the Russians that those two were a literal powder keg waiting to go off.

The 4th Amendment is being dismantled before our very eyes, and most Americans don't seem to care.

This is J. Edgar Hoover's FBI and Joe McCarthy's witch hunt, multiplied times a thousand.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
More surveillance = we are less free.

I'm totally for as much personal freedom (and responsibility) as possible.   So long as your actions

do not cause harm to others against their wishes.

I'm not saying I'd completely gut the NSA if I had the ability to do that, but I can guarantee it'd

be a hell of a lot lighter when I got done with it!

I would eliminate ALL authority of the NSA to perform domestic surveillance or data gathering on

ANY US citizen without acquiring an INDIVIDUAL warrant for surveillance or data gathering on a

specific individual,  and that warrant must be approved by both a judge and a grand jury,  and

it must occur in OPEN court.

There would not BE any form of secret court in America.

It would be permissible for an open court to use closed proceedings in cases where matters are

of a sensitive nature requiring secrecy,   but there would not be a secret court.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You misunderstand. I'm just saying that the few self-proclaimed 'experts' we have popping up in the various NSA threads, saying how it can't be done, etc and so forth, are pretty much just full of shit.

Of course it can be done, and it is being done. Though the GOP doesn't care, and most of the American people don't care, so it's not going away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, gotcha. Yes, I misunderstood. And you're quite correct.

Quoted:
This is J. Edgar Hoover's FBI and Joe McCarthy's witch hunt, multiplied times a thousand.

McCarthy has been posthumously vindicated. Hollywood IS full of communist sympathizers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

First, cnet has very little credibility in this field.  I read this article earlier today, and to put it bluntly the headline is sensationalistic bullshit and the article does not support it.

To answer the initial question, nobody in the government gives a flying fuck what you write, who you call, or even when you scream invective on the internet about things you will never comprehend.

Nobody cares.

Nobody's spying on you.  Nobody's paying any attention to you.  Nobody's reading your mail, listening to your phone calls, or anything else.  Nobody cares.  The hubris that leads you to believe they do is paranoiac bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#28]
And Josh is right on time with the obfuscation! Good call, whomever called it first.

Sorry, Josh. There's this thing called a "keyword skimming algorithm" that means that they don't need to read or listen to everything, they get neat little flagged reports prepared for them. But you knew that, didn't you.

And of course nobody cares. That's why ordinary citizens who were Tea Party group organizers in their community got freaking personally audited for the first time in their lives, right?

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And Josh is right on time with the obfuscation! Good call, whomever called it first.
View Quote

The fact that you can look up a big word in a thesaurus doesn't mean you understand it...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

First, cnet has very little credibility in this field.  I read this article earlier today, and to put it bluntly the headline is sensationalistic bullshit and the article does not support it.

To answer the initial question, nobody in the government gives a flying fuck what you write, who you call, or even when you scream invective on the internet about things you will never comprehend.

Nobody cares.

Nobody's spying on you.  Nobody's paying any attention to you.  Nobody's reading your mail, listening to your phone calls, or anything else.  Nobody cares.  The hubris that leads you to believe they do is paranoiac bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody cares.

You're right... No one is doing any of that... Unless you piss off the powers that be... Then your life is hell.

The abuse of tax authority as a weapon against the political enemies of this administration completely voids your "it won't be abused" argument.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nobody cares.

View Quote

I never thought I would see the IRS go after political groups and religious groups because they were opposed to the Party in the White House..........but they did.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:56:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tag for Josh's excuses.
View Quote

Josh_A will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I think it failed because it was never meant to win.  It was pure political drama to give We the People the false impression that there is some Congressional resistance.  C'mon, Congress gave  us the NDAA of 2011 and 2012.  Congress gave us the Pate-tree-ut Act that resulted in Heimat Sicherheitsdienst.  Like the Chief Occupier of the Whine Haus, Congress is bought and paid for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for Josh's excuses.

There's no daylight between them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The fact that you can look up a big word in a thesaurus doesn't mean you understand it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's another big word, sycophant.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry, Josh. There's this thing called a "keyword skimming algorithm" that means that they don't need to read or listen to everything, they get neat little flagged reports prepared for them. But you knew that, didn't you.

And of course nobody cares. That's why ordinary citizens who were Tea Party group organizers in their community got freaking personally audited for the first time in their lives, right?

View Quote

No Shit.  Bless his statist little heart.  Group buy on Chapstick for Josh...I bet his lips are chapped from the constant .gov knob slobbing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nobody cares.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody cares.

Want a rag to wipe the boot polish off your lips and tongue?

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#38]
It was sold to the American people under the guise of combating terrorism; only now are the masses(some of them) waking up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everyone who voted Against Congressman Amash's bill to curtail spying on US citizens by the government is an enemy of the public and must be voted out.
View Quote

Yes, and 0bama care......
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Josh. I am not a government lickshoe who uses a thesaurus and governmentese to impress other bureaucrats. Some of us merely had an adequate education that we paid for ourselves and are well-read.

Of course, being well-read also means being quite familiar with the tyrannical abuses recorded in history. The difference between you and I is that I consider such histories to be a warning, while you consider them to be a god damned operating manual.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You're right... No one is doing any of that... Unless you piss off the powers that be... Then your life is hell.

The abuse of tax authority as a weapon against the political enemies of this administration completely voids your "it won't be abused" argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody cares.

One might note that the DOD is not the IRS.  They operate under slightly different charters, one is specifically barred by federal law from using their abilities against US Citizens, the other is specifically designed to be used against US Citizens.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One might note that the DOD is not the IRS.  They operate under slightly different charters, one is specifically barred by federal law from using their abilities against US Citizens, the other is specifically designed to be used against US Citizens.
View Quote

The mission of the IRS is to assess and collect taxes in an IMPARTIAL manner.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nobody cares.

View Quote

maybe no one is reading his email but it IS being collected and stored. I don't think they are collecting and storing our information for the technical challenge of doing it just to see if they can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think it failed because it was never meant to win.  It was pure political drama to give We the People the false impression that there is some Congressional resistance.  C'mon, Congress gave  us the NDAA of 2011 and 2012.  Congress gave us the Pate-tree-ut Act that resulted in Heimat Sicherheitsdienst.  Like the Chief Occupier of the Whine Haus, Congress is bought and paid for.
View Quote

Have you read the NDAA, or the Patriot act?  My guess is that like nearly all screamers you have never read anything in any of them, and have no concept of what they say other than that people on the internet say they're bad.

They don't do what you think they do.  If you don't like the government you elected, elect a new one.  You won't find me or most of the rest of the military standing in your way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, Josh. I am not a government lickshoe who uses a thesaurus and governmentese to impress other bureaucrats. Some of us merely had an adequate education that we paid for ourselves and are well-read.

Of course, being well-read also means being quite familiar with the tyrannical abuses recorded in history. The difference between you and I is that I consider such histories to be a warning, while you consider them to be a god damned operating manual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you had an education you'd know that word does not mean what you think it means, and is wholly inaccurate and inappropriate for the context in which you used it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:10:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Right on cue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was my thought as well.

Anyone they want to destroy or cover for could be done as quickly as it can be typed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree completely.  I'm not trying to justify any of the clearly criminal acts that the IRS is alleged to have engaged in, merely pointing out there is a significant difference in authorities they operate under, which is what allowed them to do what they're alleged to have done.  DOD has no such authorities.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

maybe no one is reading his email but it IS being collected and stored. I don't think they are collecting and storing our information for the technical challenge of doing it just to see if they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody cares.

No one with any technical understanding believes this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top