Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 12:57:05 PM EDT
Graduated from EMT school

Waiting to take the NREMT exam

Question is, how do you study for this exam? WHAT do you study?

I can go back and see all the questions and answers from the EMT school book now that Ive finished. However I dont know if the NREMT exam is just the same stuff as the EMT school is or if there is a totally different format that I need to be prepared for.

EDIT: THANKS FOR THE TIPS. I STUDIED ALL THE WAY UP TO THE PARKING LOT OF THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE WHERE THE TEST WAS ADMINISTERED. SAT FOR THE EXAM AND WAS IN AND OUT IN 35 MINUTES.

GOT MY CERTIFICATE FROM NREMT THE NEXT MORNING ON THEIR WEBSITE.

LOOKS LIKE I WAY OVER STUDIED AND THATS FINE.

THE ONLY THING THAT WAS A SURPRISE TO ME WAS THAT THERE WAS MUCH DIFFERENT VOCAB FROM THE BOOK/CLASS VERSUS THE TEST. FOR EXAMPLE THE BOOK TALKED OVER AND OVER ABOUT HEART ATTACKS BUT THE TEST CALLED IT MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION EXCLUSIVELY. AS LONG AS YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE CURVE ON LATIN AND GREEK ELEMENTS AND CAN CRACK WORDS AT THEIR ROOTS, OR YOU ARE JUST A SMART FELLER AND KNOW THREE OF FOUR NAMES FOR THE SAME THING THEN YOU'RE GOLDEN.

JUST WAITING FOR STATE TO FINISH PROCESSING NOW.

THANKS FOR THE POSTS
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some "quiz apps" you download on your phone that ask test like questions. Also go back to the textbook and brush up (re-read) the OB section, strokes, and cardiac. I have been hearing lots of questions on those topics lately.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The test is about the info in the book, but it’s how to apply that info. Honestly a way I studied in the last couple weeks leading up to taking the test was listening to a series on YouTube from a channel called randyemt100. It’s like 15 hours of test questions and answers but also with some explanation of why the answer is correct. My bat chief is doing the same thing right now. It’s from 2014 but the info is still pretty much up to date. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
When I did EMT, JB learning online (came with the AAOS book) had really good quizzes online.  For paramedic, medictests.com was the way to go.  Just took lots of practice tests over and over again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Recently, I was in the same position that you are now. I successfully completed the NREMT this month on my first attempt.

In my opinion, these are the things that helped me the most:

1.) Becoming comfortable with your EMT course materials. This may be a no brainer, but, regardless of question/exam format, you need to have a firm grasp of the concepts/material in order to apply it appropriately.

I would suspect that if you completed your course without any great difficulty, you're already at this point. But that is a personal determination.

2.) Limmer Creative's EMT Review Plus app. I believe there is a purchase price, but can't recall exactly what it was. This app provides study and review material along with 100 question practice exams. I found the practice exams to be most beneficial.

I can't verify this, but I was told that the creator of the app was/is a writer for the National Registry. Based on the question style between the practice exam and the NREMT Exam, I suspect this is true.

3.) Don't wait too long before taking the exam. This is where I made my big mistakes. I waited many months before finally taking the exam. Don't procrastinate. IMO, there isn't much to gain by waiting.

Those are the main points that come to my mind. I'm far from an expert, so keep in mind that this is just my opinion regarding what worked best for me.

Other than that, go in with confidence, and do your best. If you put in the work and honestly feel prepared, then you probably are. Take it one question at a time, and ask yourself what is best for you, your partner, and your patient. If you do that, you probably won't be wrong.

GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I had issues with the NREMT till someone told me about Medictests. It's a pretty cool website that mimics the NREMT. It's sort of expensive but well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Best advice out of all of this is don’t be a cheap ass. Pay for the premium testing sites and take the tests. Well worth the money.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I took it 14ish years ago, I bought a NREMT book to study out of. It had a bunch of test questions and answers.

The joke is, the answer is always the best wrong answer.
View Quote
There are always 2 right answers. The correct answer is what comes first on the assessment sheet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Know your medical and trauma assessment sheets front and back. Know the precise order of operations. That will tell you which right answer is the right answer.

If you are uncomfortable, take the pay tests as stated above. They are worth it.

Study your OB. They love OB.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I know this is late but my wife is taking the test tomorrow. She just realized she doesn’t have a printed copy of the ATT. The Pearson Vue info thing doesn’t mention that she needs to bring anything except two forms of ID. Does she need the ATT? We don’t own a printer so we would need to make other plans. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Know your medical and trauma assessment sheets front and back. Know the precise order of operations. That will tell you which right answer is the right answer.

If you are uncomfortable, take the pay tests as stated above. They are worth it.

Study your OB. They love OB.
View Quote
This is great advice.  I recall a lot of "What do you do first" questions.  All the answers are things you need to do, but the assessment sheet gives the order.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know this is late but my wife is taking the test tomorrow. She just realized she doesn’t have a printed copy of the ATT. The Pearson Vue info thing doesn’t mention that she needs to bring anything except two forms of ID. Does she need the ATT? We don’t own a printer so we would need to make other plans. Thank you.
View Quote
It's been a while, but if she's scheduled at PV, they should have it on their computer. Bring the ID's and show up early. I've always had my paperwork handy, but they have never asked for it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Kids these days and their 'next day' results.
Back in my day it took weeks to get your results!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
All, thank you. And thank you for this thread! She’s been reading it.

Took the test this morning at 1000, finished in about half an hour and +/- 70 questions. Just got the notification that she passed!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats both of you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I took the test 4 times. Used EMT achieve was when I passed it. Get 80s on thr practice tests
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I used the Limmer Creative apps in 68W school.  The test was a breeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top