Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:22:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A small victory, but a victory nevertheless.

Eric The(Litigious)Hun
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
This gives us a lot of momemtum. NRA needs to press hard on this issue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent. A little late, but still...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I criticize now??!!!  The press release says the NRA filed the motion today in Federal Court.  Law-abiding citizens were getting their weapons seized more than two weeks ago!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Cam was talking about this today on his show.  I guess the only really big news source covering it is the "Washington Times".  He was saying how he is surprised that "Fox News" isn't covering it. Some other guy said the only time that the NRA makes the news is when the News Media can slam them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard a report that many of the confiscated guns are now missing.

Wonder what happened to them?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
"But, but, but, the NRA doesn't do shit to protect gun owners"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder how many of the agrieved gunowners actually recieved a reciept for their stolen property?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
RIF

Curious--you a member?

Do I have to be a member of the Democratic Party to criticize them??  

I'll make you a deal.  If the NRA pursues additional legal action against the police chief, I'll sign up to be a member on the Internet immediately.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
RIF

Curious--you a member?

I'll make you a deal.  If the NRA pursues additional legal action against the police chief, I'll sign up to be a member on the Internet immediately.

Some people are never satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
In reality you and I are on the same team.  The police chief that advocated violating citizens rights should be prosecuted and fired.  The NRA has a host of lawyers who could file charges against this SOB.  I want fucking accountability.  I applaud the NRA for stopping the confiscation of weapons, but I want them, through the courts, to send a message to other liberal law enforcement agencts that willfully violating citizens rights is a crime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
For the record, the motion was filed in conjunction with the SAF.

www.saf.org/

FEDERAL JUDGE HALTS NEW ORLEANS GUN SEIZURES
September 23, 2005 - The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana this afternoon issued a temporary restraining order on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and National Rifle Association (NRA), bringing an end to firearm seizures from citizens living in and around New Orleans. (Read More...)

SAF, NRA ASK FEDERAL COURT TO HALT NEW ORLEANS GUN SEIZURES
September 22, 2005 - BATON ROUGE, LA (Sept. 22) – The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and National Rifle Association (NRA) joined with individual gun owners in Louisiana Thursday morning, filing a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to stop authorities in and around the City of New Orleans from seizing firearms from private citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Arbitrary gun seizures, without warrant or probable cause, have been reported during the past three weeks since the Crescent City was devastated by the hurricane. (Read More...)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#19]
This is AWESOME!!!!  But it is not victory.   We turned the tide here guys.  Now, we need to PROSECUTE those officers of the law who committed armed robbery under colour of their authority.

We need to write, call and fax both the Eastern District Attorney's office AND the Attorney General's office INSISTING that criminal prosecution be pursued for anyone who can't get their guns back immediately (because they were obviously stolen for personal purposes or destroyed by corrupt policemen and soldiers).

-FGJ
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Exactly.  If the NRA backs an individual or individuals who sues the police chief for violating their rights, I will become a new member.  Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Now, we need to PROSECUTE those officers of the law who committed armed robbery under colour of their authority.

-FGJ

[Peter Gibbons] This is America, not Riyahd! [/prosecute? COPS?? hahahaha]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]
They are not a perfect organization but are definately worthy of our support.  I am and have been a member for several years and I applaud their latest action...  Lets hope the ball keeps rolling and more members can only add steam!  It's time to pay the piper and join.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Exactly.  If the NRA backs an individual or individuals who sues the police chief for violating their rights, I will become a new member.  Guaranteed.

Please, continue your bleating, I'm sure someone from the govt will be along soon to help you.  Until then others will continue to stand up for your rights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They are not a perfect organization but are definately worthy of our support.  I am and have been a member for several years and I applaud their latest action...  Lets hope the ball keeps rolling and more members can only add steam!  It's time to pay the piper and join.

+1

It's probably a result of all the e-mails and calls sent by ARFCOMMERS like us that helped push this issue!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah, yeah, I know its so idealistic as to border on the absurd, but bear with me a moment.  If we, as citizens put pressure on the DA, that pressure will find its way to the cops.  I think its worthwhile to back up our ideals with legal pressure.   It's foolish to think that you've defeated an enemy simply because you've forced him to acknowledge your strength.

Also note that the NOPD is perfectly capable of ignoring court orders.  The executive branch at all levels of government does it all the time.  How else but by pressuring to prosecute are we going to let them know we mean BUSINESS?

Why not give the USAG a call?  Or call anyone there and ask how you can leave your opinion?
www.laed.uscourts.gov/GENERAL/General.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
temporary, how short of a time span does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, yeah, I know its so idealistic as to border on the absurd, but bear with me a moment.  If we, as citizens put pressure on the DA, that pressure will find its way to the cops.  I think its worthwhile to back up our ideals with legal pressure.   It's foolish to think that you've defeated an enemy simply because you've forced him to acknowledge your strength.

Also note that the NOPD is perfectly capable of ignoring court orders.  The executive branch at all levels of government does it all the time.  How else but by pressuring to prosecute are we going to let them know we mean BUSINESS?

Why not give the USAG a call?  Or call anyone there and ask how you can leave your opinion?
www.laed.uscourts.gov/GENERAL/General.htm

Ok... I hear ya...

But the only pressure I'm concerned with any more comes from 30 rounds of 5.56 compressing a coil spring.  

Now we're both trying to get to the same place, mind you!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
RIF

Curious--you a member?

Just what exactly do YOU do in the fight for the 2A?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The NRA has a host of lawyers who could file charges against this SOB.  I want fucking accountability.  

Pray tell, what are these mystical 'charges' that NRA lawyers can file against the NO superintedant?  They are not fucking NO Distric Attorney's.  They are civil lawyers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Can I criticize now??!!!  The press release says the NRA filed the motion today in Federal Court.  Law-abiding citizens were getting their weapons seized more than two weeks ago!

Better that the People should see what a gov't run amuck is capable of.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#32]
What the NRA did today pushed me over the edge.  I coughed up 100 bucks for a five year membership today.

......and I get a hat. sweet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
......and I get a hat. sweet.

It's really not a bad hat.  It pisses off liberal professors around college campuses too.  There's nothing like seeing steam come out a liberal arts teacher's ears because of a silly hat.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a member of a sportsman's organization, vote for NRA Board Member and Sen. Larry Craig, and possess a concealed weapons permit.

I like the idea of writing a letter to the LA Attorney General to ask him to bring charges against the NO police chief.  Look for my letter tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Every gun owner should be a member of one of the pro 2nd amendment organizations.  If you aren't, your are part of the problem.  Try coughing up $35 and become part of the answer.  Otherwise, STFU!!

Cavu
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Whoa, Cavo!  Simmer down Tex.  Plopping down $35 may make you a member of an 2nd Amendment organization, but that doesn't mean you are on the front lines of the 2nd Amendment battle.  That's like saying paying your child support makes you a great father.

I said I was going to write a letter to the AG.  That takes a lot more effort than writing a $35 check.

I wanted the NRA to act quicker in NO.  Hundreds of folks expressed similar concerns two weeks ago that the NRA was MIA.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana has been shut down for a couple of weeks due to the fact that it was located in a disaster area. They just recently opened a temporary office in Baton Rouge. How were they going to file if the court in that district was closed ?

Anybody else ever noticed that most NRA bashers are non-paying members of this site ? Don;t support the site, don't support the biggest gun lobbying organization in the US. Coincidence, I think not. They just want all the goodies for free and let the others support them.  (his THIS is not a slander towards non-paying members in any way, just NRA-bashing ones )
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#40]
CNN had a story about 8 NO police who were going out on looting raids, coming back with TV's and various things about 4 in the morning.  They had numerous eyewitnesses. One morning, they came back with a sh*tload of guns.  The witnesses said they loaded a car with so many that the back end was almost scraping the pavement, and they left when they couldn't carry any more.  I bet not a single receipt for those guns was written.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
RIF

Curious--you a member?

Frankly, if you're too stupid to realize that you need to be a member at this point, then..uhm I can't tell you what you are because it'll get censored.

Just guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#42]
w00t!

I guess I'll send them some more $$$$$!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#44]
<Personal attack removed.  Please read my admonition just above.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sir, sending them $35 to help promote the cause is the least you can do.

Please don't tell me how rad you are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Late..............but better then never, although I think that the NRA does need to become more aggresive and take on the bigger isssues not all that hunting crap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll play nice.  Please don't delete my entire post, just the profane word.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
CNN had a story about 8 NO police who were going out on looting raids, coming back with TV's and various things about 4 in the morning.  They had numerous eyewitnesses. One morning, they came back with a sh*tload of guns.  The witnesses said they loaded a car with so many that the back end was almost scraping the pavement, and they left when they couldn't carry any more.  I bet not a single receipt for those guns was written.

Sounds like if presented with this situation they are saying it would be OK if given a receipt.  If none was offered or given, then that would be theft of a firearm, a federal crime, therefore the JBT involved "lose" their LE status and just became felons and should be treated as such.

Unites States Code
TITLE 18 > PART I >
CHAPTER 13—CIVIL RIGHTS
§ 241. Conspiracy against rights
§ 242. Deprivation of rights under color of law

TITLE 18 > PART I >
CHAPTER 44—FIREARMS
(4)(5)
§ 922. (i),(j) Theft of firearms, Stolen firearms
§ 924. (d),(1) may also apply

TITLE 26 > Subtitle E-INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
CHAPTER 53-MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS
Subchapter C - Prohibited Acts
§ 5861.  (b),(d)

TITLE 18 > PART I >
CHAPTER 113-Stolen Property
§ 2315. Sale or receipt of stolen goods, securities, moneys, or fraudulent State tax stamps

TITLE 18 > PART I >
CHAPTER 103-ROBBERY AND BURGLARY
§ 2112. Personal property of United States

TITLE 18 > PART I >
CHAPTER 109-SEARCHES AND SEIZURES
§ 2236. Searches without warrant

These would be the code violations.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top