Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 10:31:17 AM EDT
This topic of discussion is particularly important to help guide those who have not yet joined a pro-Second Amendment organization. Here it is:

In the long run, would it be more effective in protecting the rights of American gun owners to join the National Rifle Association or a smaller organization, such as Gun Owners of America? Each choice has certain advantages and disadvantages.

Joining the NRA, by far the largest Gun Rights organization in the United States, would help to show the unity of American gun owners. However, the NRA is not as aggressive as some smaller groups and sometimes makes political compromises.

On the other hand, the GOA and other smaller organizations like it are much more aggressive and uncompromising when it comes to protecting the Second Amendment. Yet, if gun owners started dividing themselves into many small groups, rather than mostly uniting and going to the NRA, their overall effectiveness could be reduced.

I recognize that both of the mentioned organizations have done a great deal to protect the rights of gun owners and the American Constitution in general, and they should both be commended for this. However, I am asking not whether either of them has a positive influence, but whether joining one would be better in the long run than joining the other.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, and I'm a Life Member in both!

you mention some good points about both.

GOA doesn't flinch and stands it's ground, the NRA is strength in numbers but sometimes I think they lose focus.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I think if you own a gun you MUST be a NRA member period.  However I do think it is worth while to join one of the smaller associations like GOA becuase I do like the fact that they are more aggressive and don't compromise. Bottom line join the NRA first and if you want to join GOA also, but keep up on your NRA membership.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Join both.. for all our sakes!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Both, and add JPFO!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Join both.. for all our sakes!!!!!!
View Quote

I agree.  I am a member to both of them along with a couple of others.

[url] www.grnc.org[/url] GRNC is a no compromise state org for my state.

[url] www.fcsa.org[/url] FCSA is an org for 50 cal.[50]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone gun owner needs to join at least one.  If the 80 million guns owners joined either we wouldn't have to worry about more gun control and a lot of the past laws would get removed.

However, if it comes down to which group is more effective today, then it's the NRA hands down.  

GOA is no compromise on anything.  But since they are a small group they don't have the power to demand anything from Congress.  The best that GOA can do is kill a bill, both pro-gun and anti-gun bills.  If a bill is 90% pro-gun but compromises on something GOA's stance is that it is better to have no additional rights then to have additional rights even though there might be some restrictions on it.  They did this in Michigan with our shall issue CCW bill.  For the last 2 years GOA failed to notify it's members that shall issue CCW was being discussed.  GOA did nothing to help write the bill.  Then after it passed and Michigan became a shall issue CCW state, GOA came out and said it was the worst law possible and we would be better off without it.  I lost all respect for GOA at that point.  For GOA who did nothing to help us get a good law come out and say it would be better if I could not carry at all than carry but with some restrictions on where I can carry infuriates and disgusts me that they call themselves a gun rights organization.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure, and I'm a Life Member in both!

you mention some good points about both.

GOA doesn't flinch and stands it's ground, the NRA is strength in numbers but sometimes I think they lose focus.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If you believe in government legislated rights, join NRA.

If you believe in the original intent of the Founders, join GOA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply! I got the general since that joining both would be best, but that the NRA would be a good place to start from. I most strongly agree with SWIRE in that “Everyone gun owner needs to join at least one. If the 80 million guns owners joined either we wouldn't have to worry about more gun control and a lot of the past laws would get removed.” I also thank gus for mentioning the JPFO, they have a very well reasoned plan to protect our rights.

As a last note, just remember: Politicians will not listen if you don’t speak. So, join at least one Gun Rights organization and write you representatives regularly. Keep up the fight!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Both, plus the Second Amendment Sisters and Armed Females of America.  Yes, I joined the womens' groups to show my support and to encourage more women to get on board, we need them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
i am also a member of both NRA, GOA and SAS, AND state and local gun rights groups - federal won't help if your state passes anti-gun laws.

That being said, I also agree with a number of posts that the NRA still has a 'duck hunter' mentality that lets them compromise on Second Amendment rights as long as the hunters are not affected.  With the current makeup of D.C. and the anti-gun access to the media, ALL firearms owners have to be represented by the NRA and they should be fighting every gun law - there is no such thing as a 'common sense' gun law.  They will not do that unless we start to demand it.

Gun control is not possible without the approval of the voters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
NRA LIfe
GOA
USPSA
JPFO
And Soon CMP

Send as much as you can, to as many as you can!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I'm happy to report that after "puting off" and saying to myself I would "do it later" I finally joined the NRA a month ago.  I really don't know why I hadn't before now.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everyone gun owner needs to join at least one.  If the 80 million guns owners joined either we wouldn't have to worry about more gun control and a lot of the past laws would get removed.
View Quote

I am a member of both as well as NYSR&PA but I think SWIRE has A point and taht is there are a hell of alot of gun owners out there who do not belong to any at all if even a good portion of them signed up with NRA the political clout would be un-ignorable. No politician with any ambition at all would even bring up gun control
If you know of someone who bought a first time gun lately get them to join up with NRA GOA JFPO or thier local state group --right now with sundown on the horizon and Fienstien still tyring to ban anything that moves it is imperative that Washington know that we are serious and will not be ignored. A years memebership is $35 for NRA and makes a good gift for a new gun owner. Right now they are running a sweepstakes so you might benifit yourself for helping increase membership. Put your money where your mouth is and get your buddies to do the same. That is--if you want to keep your guns anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Considering that the membership fees are about what you can easily piss away on a night at the bar, it's an easy choice: Stay home some night and join both. Or more.

Member, NRA, GOA, MCRGO, and occasional contributor to SAF...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]"However, if it comes down to which group is more effective today, then it's the NRA hands down."[/b]
Yeah, right. They have written most of the gun laws on the books.. [b]Join GOA[/]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]"However, if it comes down to which group is more effective today, then it's the NRA hands down."[/b]
Yeah,they're effective alright. They have written most of the gun laws on the books..
[b]Join GOA[/b]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I joined both, it's cheap so it's not like everyone can't do it.
View Quote

Yeah... $70 bucks a year won't hurt anybody. You should join both... one with more political clout and one with uncompromising resolve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top