Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2001 5:14:14 PM EDT
Today on my way to Billings MT., I approached an intersection in which I had a yield sign to merge with a connecting road.  The speed limit is 35 or 40, I can't remember.  I saw a truck about a quarter mile approaching the intersection.  There are three lanes so I go ahead and pull out into the merging lane.  The truck doesn't come up that fast, and finally changes lanes.  I am accelerating into the 70mph zone and approaching a lanes merge area.  The guy still hasn't passed me yet and is slowly coming up on my six in the left lane.  I start to merge with traffic coming at me in the far lane.  Now, the guy decides he is going to pass me.  He passes at the exact time the oncoming traffic passes us(three wide!-two lanes!).  His truck was only about 6 inches from my driverside mirror.  I honk the horn and hit the breaks.  He now gets in front of me and low and behold, on his, beat up, older toyota tailgate, is "My President is Charlton Heston". and about 5 different NRA stickers.  My wife instantly notices the stickers and comments on them.  Then the guy slows down.  I have to pass him, and as I do he gives my wife and I and our 2 year old the finger!  My wife returned the gesture in kind.  

My point is, the guy just made the stereotypical image we don't want.  Beat up old truck with a guy with dark glasses, long hair, tattoos, cowboy hat, and profane gestures.  To anyone else who sees him, they will think "Oh, there is one of those gun toting, redneck, NRA members"  I don't mind old trucks(had plenty), tattoos(wife's got one!) on anyone.  Hey, it's their life.   I even classify myself as a redneck!  I just hate the bad attitude, and disrespectful nature he portrayed, with the NRA stickers displayed.  Oh, and putting my family in danger!!  

BTW, My wife now wants me to go get my CCW permit.  She even talked about getting herself one, and she never shoots.  It kind of scared her.  I don't think she would have even given it a second thought except she saw those stickers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
guns762 - I think you're right; people do pay attention to what your vehicle "represents".  All gun owners, especially ones who advertise that they are membersw of pro-RKBA organizations should be conscious of the image that they put forth.  Speaking of - I need to mow my lawn tomorrow so that the redneck headbanging gun-nut's homestead looks squared away again [:I]

Tate
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, all NRA members are bastards!

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope that guy was driving another person's car.

People need to keep in mind that when they put on a bumper sticker, they are associating themselves and their behavior with that group.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thus far, 400 people have been killed in incidents involving the "middle finger" salute.

Sure is a poor reason to die.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had been driving my truck, maybe he wouldn't have done what he did, since I display my NRA sticker in my window???  

Crowboy, no, my wife just got really scared with what happened.  She said she often wishes that I was armed, all of the time, and not just when we go to the mountains, hunting, ect.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on the CCW decision. Getting one will change the way you look at the world,It did for me anyway. You will discover manners that you didnt know you had. While you are at it, pick up a copy of "Dont sweat the small stuff and its ALL small stuff" by Richard Carlson. After reading it, Bad drivers will bother you about as much as a fly buzzing around your head.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Polite, courteous, behavior costs nothing, regardless of who you are.
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Little clarification guys,

First, I told my wife I did not want her to ever give the finger back again!  Been there when that turned into a brandished weapon!  

Second, Bad driving would never cause me to bring out my gun.  Neither would the finger.  In this case, considering the guys actions, the finger could have easily been a gun.  That's what scared my wife.  

I've wanted a CCW  for a while just haven't gotten around to it.  My father already has his.

Don't worry guys, I wasn't going to over react.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Did he have a gun rack in the window?  If so, that completes the image.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then the guy slows down.  I have to pass him,
View Quote

Why did you "have to" pass him?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It is sufficient reason to be scared. I knew a guy in Fort Lauderdale that was shot and killed over a parking space dispute. I thought Montana was polite. But, having lived in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area for 17 Years I know full well what can happen over a minor dispute. 90% of the people on my block had been arrested by the time I moved. A 15 y/o at the end of the block threw 2 pipe bombs at another teens house over a small dispute, he is still in jail. The guys next door to them ran a meth lab ? Two doors down was a guy who is now about 18 or so and already has spent several months in jail. You don't know who that guy who flips you off really is. Hopefully, he doesn't have a violent side.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then the guy slows down.  I have to pass him,
View Quote

Why did you "have to" pass him?
View Quote

Was a 70mph zone, he slowed to @55.  Lots of traffic behind me.  I could have kept behind him and it did cross my mind, but other than trying to run my off the road, I just thought he was rude.  

I also didn't mention that I was embarassed when I saw the stickers.  I knew my wife would think of him as a "Wacko".  She already thinks that of me.  I really was/am mad about his actions with the stickers showing.  I am proud to be an NRA member and want to have my organazaition put in a good light.  Not the way the media portrays it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My point is, the guy just made the stereotypical image we don't want.  Beat up old truck with a guy with dark glasses, long hair, tattoos, cowboy hat, and profane gestures
View Quote

Damn redneck hippie!

How dare he like guns and display an NRA sticker!  At least he should be able to afford a new truck and a haircut.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought all interstate within the city limits in Billings are 60 mph zones. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My point is, the guy just made the stereotypical image we don't want.  Beat up old truck with a guy with dark glasses, long hair, tattoos, cowboy hat, and profane gestures
View Quote

Damn redneck hippie!

How dare he like guns and display an NRA sticker!  At least he should be able to afford a new truck and a haircut.
View Quote

Hey, at least add the rest of the quote, and not take it out of context like the media.  I said I didn't care what he looke like or what he drove, just what his actions were with the stickers showing.  You have to admit, that is the stereotype the media and anti-gun crowd want to make us all out to be.  Even if some of us do resemble that.  Like I said, owned plenty of old trucks, had long hair, wife's got a tatoo; all that is fine, just didn't like the actions with the NRA stickers showing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought all interstate within the city limits in Billings are 60 mph zones. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
View Quote

Intersection at Fort Rockville.  Leaving before you get to Bridger(70mph daylight).  Not on the Interstate yet.  In Billings Interstates are 65, outside limits 75
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hey, at least add the rest of the quote, and not take it out of context like the media.  I said I didn't care what he looke like or what he drove, just what his actions were with the stickers showing.  You have to admit, that is the stereotype the media and anti-gun crowd want to make us all out to be.  Even if some of us do resemble that.  Like I said, owned plenty of old trucks, had long hair, wife's got a tatoo; all that is fine, just didn't like the actions with the NRA stickers showing.
View Quote

I hear you, but I just would say to not sweat the issue, it's a little thing.  The guy was a jerk, enough said.

I also think it's hard to truly 'know' someone from their bumper stickers, god knows I've seen plenty of PETA stickers on giant SUVs with leather seats!  Somehow I doubt those folks would see the irony in their situation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Gun762, did you go to Shiptons while there. They had CCI primers on sale for 12.50/thousand. I was up there the other day, but was picking up building materials at Lowes and didn't have time to stop in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I just finished plastering
my vehicle with
MMM and Brady Campaign stickers.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day driving like a jackass and double parking in the front row of shopping plazas.

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thread.  If you are visually associating yourself with pro-RKBA causes and organizations, it really is important to remember that your actions reflect on us as a group.

Quoted:
I just finished plastering
my vehicle with
MMM and Brady Campaign stickers.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day driving like a jackass and double parking in the front row of shopping plazas.

View Quote

Now THAT is an idea!!!
That put a BIG smile on my face.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
This is all the more reason that there should be legislation adding that the presence of ANY NRA or other gun owner organization stickers on an automobile is probable cause for law enforcement to stop and search the car and it's occupants for contraband.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a fairly new member of NRA-joined because of Clinton-and agree that all members should behave professionally, however, some bad apples always in the bucket.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least he should be able to afford a new truck and a haircut.
View Quote

I can't do that, it would cut into the ammo budget...
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Guns:  I've had minivans sporting MMM stickers do the same thing.  There are stupid, inconsiderate assholes everywhere.  His affiliation to the NRA had nothing to do with it.

And I seriously doubt that anybody except an already hardcore anti would make a huge political decision based the actions of one idiot.  Most people know that the NRA is not made up of rednecks and gun-toting psychos.  Many on this board think that the NRA are only elitist hunters who care nothing about [i]true[/i] freedom yadda, yadda, yadda......

Your experiance sucked, but don't for a second think that people will associate the actions of one jackass with an organization sporting over 4 million members.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And I seriously doubt that anybody except an already hardcore anti would make a huge political decision based the actions of one idiot.  Most people know that the NRA is not made up of rednecks and gun-toting psychos.  Your experiance sucked, but don't for a second think that people will associate the actions of one jackass with an organization sporting over 4 million members.
View Quote

I gotta disagree with you on this.  People do form opinions based on encounters like this.  Look at the way the media and the dems portray us.  Based on a few guys/gals lifestyles.  It's our American way to stereotype groups of people.  I just want members to remember that if they are "sticking" out in a crowd as a NRA member, to make sure they go out of their way to be nice to people they don't know.  Don't act like a jackass.  I put the NRA sticker on my truck to show people that I am a responsible citizen that is also an NRA member.  If you gotta act like this jerk did, don't advertise for my NRA!  Remember the add "I'm the NRA", well this guy is driving around doing the same. Only in a negative way.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
What Imbroglio said...however, the new legislation is not needed.  

Support the organizations you feel are worthy of your buck$.  If you want to be a target for both LE looking to shake you down because they're Anti...or theives looking for a quick smash & grab...paste those stickers on your ride.  Turn it into a target of opportunity.  Go for it...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top