tagged
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.asp

Instructor training courses are conducted by NRA Training Counselors. Training Counselors are active and experienced instructors who have been appointed by NRA to train other (new) instructors. You may request a list of training counselors in your geographic area by contacting the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430.

Once ya find the Training Counsler and pay for the cost of the Instructor certificates ya want to hold (pistol, rifle, personal protection, shotgun, muzzleloaders.....etc) you attend the classes (mine were on Saturdays) and then ya pay $5 a year to be an Instructor. Ya can buy apparel and training bokks etc. from the NRA store and go to it......

Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#7]
 There should be a local Gun Club around you with an Trainer/Coach that can give you the training.
The guy at our club is a grouchy basta** who is in it for the money and charges about 225$ per person and needs a class of at least 6 people. About a 10 to 12 hour course. Certified Pistol or Personal Protection. I got those and Home Firearm Safety for about 75$ before our prior Club Instructor left. Our old guy was in it for the good shooting, not the money. The Qualifications last 5 years.
Cert. Pistol is what you want. It takes a LEO/Lawyer to explain the legal implications of shooting a person to teach Pers. Protection. Cert. Pistol will allow a person to get their Conceled Carry in most places.  
CONTACT a Local Gun Club and talk to their Chief Instructor.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to find an NRA Training Counselor who is actively training instructors.  That is the hard part.

There are actually a couple of parts to the training.  There is the "how to teach using the NRA methods" that covers teaching methods, TPI, KSA, etc.  

Then there is discipline specific training for each class you wish to instruct.  There are a required number of training hours for each class.  

If you go to packing.org, they often have listings of NRA Instructor Classes that are going on.  You MIGHT find one near you.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Alabama has "0" training counslers, I'm guessing that's the problem......

Go here: www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp, search for somebody near your state who's an Instructor, pump them for info on where they trained????

Sorry, I can give a list of the one co. near Houston that does this now. But the guy I got my training from no longer does this work (lost his son, a terrific handgun shooting kid in a terrible incident, where he was shot while drunk, banging on the wrong door one night, trying to get back in the house he "thought" he'd came out of, very sad....)

Call the "Range" off the website above, and don't take no shit from the recordings or leave messages, which they seem to ignore, I'll find my order phone number this weekend and see if I can get some info thru my contacts for ya.....

Best I can do,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#13]
When I got interested I called - no e-mail as it is too easy to forget about - the NRA and they mailed me a list of Training Counselors.  The problem was that not too many of them were actively teaching instructors.  

Once I found one that was, it was a matter of getting a class organized [$150 for Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety], and figuring the timeframe.  

The first class there were about 5 guys there that wanted to be qualified to teach the Boy Scouts [Rifle].  They had no idea how the NRA system worked.  They didn't realize they are separate disciplines.  

During the shooting test 4 of them washed out, and the other decided to wait for a rifle class.  

One other guy had just returned from the sandbox.  He could NOT get over referring to guns/firearms as "weapons", which is NOT a PC term according to the NRA.  He isn't in the class anymore.

The class met for 3.5-4 hours on Monday nights.  First class was qualification and testing.  Second Class was starting the NRA "How to teach" portion.  This went for 3 or 4 weeks.

The next 4 weeks covered Basic Pistol and then Home Firearms Safety with a couple of Wednesday classes thrown in.    
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Took it about 17 yrs ago, its a very simple course. All classroom. No shooting and focuses on safety and shooting fundementals
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a NRA handgun instructor.  No net access over the weekend, but I'll answer what questions I can when I return on Monday.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
If you do find a counselor to hold a class - prepare to be underwhelmed.

Depending on where you go - any of the better rated schools (Gunsite, LFI, Blackwater, TR, The SITE, TDI Ohio, etc, etc...) will give a lot more quality material to rip off share with new shooters.

There's a reason NRA Instructor training is so cheap affordable.

Dolomite, a NRA Certified RO, Basic Handgun, and Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I am an NRA Instructor in Handguns, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection, and Home Defense.

The guy that taught me is long dead.  I took the classes over a period of nights at the public library.  We went to the range for the hands-on parts.

It was difficult to find a qualified Instructor Trainer.  As you've found out, there is a shortage.

My only suggestion is for you to continue to "bug" them to give you a list of names of Trainers.

I have found that being "Certified" came in handy when I taught Boy Scouts, Royal Rangers (a church group), etc.  Many organizations require "Certified" trainers for their programs.

Good luck to you.

Edited to add:  Dolomite, in his usual charming way (), is correct.

I've also attended Thunder Ranch and the quality of the instruction is a thousand times better than the NRA training.  The NRA stuff is very basic.  You will not learn much new.

But it does give you the "Certification" I spoke about.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Had one guy in my Pistol Instructor class that had been "NRA Cerified for years and years" - just taking it again as a refresher.

On the line, as we were "coaching" each other, I must've busted him for finger-in-the-triggerguard at least a dozen times.  

A habit, had he attended a quality school, that he'd of broken in about one hour.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I am an instructor in Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection and a Certified Range officer.

As people have said previously, you need to locate a councelor to give you the course and paperwork to get registered with the NRA. its a pain to find anyone. The person I used now refuses to have anything to do with the NRA training department because they are such a bunch of A-holes.

I encountered this myself. You see the list of qualifications above, well, in Oregon a course in Home safety is good enough for a concealed handgun license, and is much shorter, easier and in many ways more appropriate, so I asked the NRA if I could just add this qualification to my list - given that it is really a subset of all of the above. Of course, they said no way. If I wanted to do that I had to do yet another training session.

This was the point at which I found out that my previous councelor no longer wanted to play the silly games, he was appalled that given the training I had already done that they should insist on yet another course.

Do all of us a favor - all of you - call the NRA and bitch about the lack of trainers and a-hole responses you get from the people "managing" NRA training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top