Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2004 7:46:39 AM EDT
Good news.  We need all the help we can get in the Senate.

Change from pro-rights to anti-rights: Colorado, Illinois.

Change from anti-rights to pro-rights: Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota.

This is a net +3 for the Second Amendment in the Senate — probably enough to pass a bill to prohibit abusive lawsuits against gun manufacturers, without crippling antigun amendments.

To be precise, the pro-rights gain is slightly more than +3.0, since the outgoing Illinois senator was only weakly pro-gun, and the incoming Colorado senator is only sometimes antigun.

Link.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome news
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like Martinez is the winner in Florida.  He replaces OCD Dem Bob Graham.  Was Graham an anti-gun or a pro-gun Dem?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You got that right.  Fitzgerald was pro-AWB, his replacement radically so.  The real loss was in CO.  Last I heard, Salazar was pro-AWB.  If he has more reasonable positions, I am not familiar with them.

AK will likely not be much of a loss to the NRA since Knowles is pretty decent on guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looks like Martinez is the winner in Florida.  He replaces OCD Dem Bob Graham.  Was Graham an anti-gun or a pro-gun Dem?

Graham is a rabid gungrabber.  Serious good news from FL.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Illinois is a loss? How the hell was Fitzgerald a vote for gun rights? Fitzgerald voted to renew the ban in March.

By my count, we are up FOUR over the anti-gun crowd.

Too bad about Coors though, he was a tremendous pro-RKBA candidate who said all the right things and his opponent was a clear anti. Hopefully Coors can run again (a la John Thune) and make the Senate the second time around.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I still can't belive it. What happened in Colorado? All of the liberals from kalifornia moving in???
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Fitzgerald was lukewarm, at best, on guns.

Obama is much worse, but it isn't much of a loss, on RKBA, at least.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Two things happened in Colorado to turn the senate election into a win for the democrats.

1. Ken Salazar is a hispanic and no matter what position he took latinos voted for him due to his name recoginition and heritage.  Fortunately he is not as extremely anti-gun as some of his liberal East and West Coast  democratic brothers are.   IMO he needs to be reminded frequently that the people of Colorado do not take kindly to those that would limit our second amendment rights.  He needs to be watched closely!

2. Pete Coors was dumb enough (I voted for him anyway) to make the statement a few years back that he thought the drinking age should be lowered to 18 yrs of age instead of 21.  This did not sit well with many middle or the road republicans or centerist democrats.  The TV ads showing numerous automobile wrecks created by alcohol related traffic accidents hinted that if Coors was elected this is what would happen.

I think these were the two things that did him in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top