has this been circulated yet?

[url]http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174938.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
NRA Takes Dell's Side In Dispute With Gunsmith

By Brian McWilliams, Newsbytes
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA, U.S.A.,
04 Mar 2002, 12:40 PM CST

Stepping into the middle of a fiery debate, the National Rifle Association has declared that Dell Computer Corp. [NASDAQ:DELL] is not an enemy of gun owners.
In a message posted Friday at its Web site and faxed to some members, the nation's biggest gun lobbying organization weighed in on a dispute between a Pennsylvania gunsmith named Jack Weigand and the Texas-based computer maker.

"NRA will continue to explore these issues, but it would appear that Dell as a corporation does not support an anti-gun agenda, as some have been reporting," said the message at the NRA's legislative action site.

Weigand, owner of Weigand Combat Handguns Inc., touched off a angry debate last week when he posted a message at his site and in several gun forums, describing how Dell initially canceled his order for an Inspiron notebook computer in February.

Dell subsequently confirmed that Weigand's company name triggered an automated order screening system put in place by Dell following the Sept. 11 attacks on America.

Weigand has deflected Dell's subsequent apology and refused its offer to ship him the computer at no charge.

Last week, some gun owners' ire was raised further when Weigand posted an update at his site suggesting Dell was indirectly funding Hand Gun Control Inc. (HCI), a lobbying group that changed its name to The Brady Campaign last June.

The NRA noted that while Dell Computer is listed as a participating merchant in an online mall for HCI at ProgressiveFunds.com, an affiliate program site run by EduOrg.com, the computer maker is also listed in EduOrg-hosted online malls for politically conservative causes, including the Christian Coalition and the National Republican Congressional Committee.

"Such 'affinity' programs have become commonplace in the era of the Internet, and generally do not reflect any given political bent on the part of participating vendors when they do not specifically benefit a single group or cause," said the NRA.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Last week, a Dell representative said the company participates in an affiliate program run by Igive.com that allows shoppers who purchase computers to donate a small percentage of their payment to various causes, including organizations on "both sides of the gun issue."

Among the groups that receive donations from purchases of Dell computers at Igive.com are pro-gun groups The Gun Owners Foundation and the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners Foundation, as well as Handgun Control Inc. and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the Dell official said.

Meanwhile, messages in online discussion forums continue to pillory Dell over its stance regarding the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

This morning, someone identifying himself as a male from Austin, Texas, posted a note at a Yahoo message board stating that Dell doesn't allow licensed gun owners to carry guns on company property, or to keep them in cars parked in company lots.

"Dell has absolutely staked out an anti-gun position with that prohibition," wrote the anonymous poster.

Gary Marbut, president Montana Shooting Sports Association, told Newsbytes that Dell ignored his efforts two years ago to arrange a group computer sale to members of the gun association.

"As soon as they figured out I was from a gun group, the sales people stopped listening," said Marbut. In light of that and recent events, "I've seen nothing yet to persuade me that gun owners should give them any more business, ever," he added.

Weigand's site today included links to the NRA's statement as well as a copy of a letter from Dell explaining its participation in affinity programs.

According to Weigand, "I have since purchased a notebook computer elsewhere, so I hope that issue is settled."

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I took a different take on that. The NRA backing Dell kinda makes Dell owe the NRA a favor.  Especially when we are talking million and millions of dollars.  Micheal Dell will have to pay for the endorsement.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Pure politic.  You scratch my back and I will scratch yours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top