Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 3:16:21 PM EDT
So I talked with some from the NRA today about the DC Personal Protection Act. It was a specific question on why the act would not legalize shotguns with barrels from 18" to 20".

DC Law bans any shotgun with a barrel under 20".

I was told by doing that they might offend some legslators and lose support of the bill.

It had to do with this defintion:

"15) "Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than 20 inches in length; or a firearm made from a shotgun if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or any barrel of less than 20 inches in length."

So some legislators might find a Remington 870 express pump action hunting shotgun offensive.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds Defensive to me...
If defensive is offensive then you need to look at the motives of  the people finding them offensive
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Small steps my friend. Small steps in the right direction. Then momentum is on our side.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Small steps my friend. Small steps in the right direction. Then momentum is on our side.

wganz

+1

Rights have been lost a little at a time.
We're not gonna get them back in one fell swoop (sp?).
I wish it was that easy.

The ship is starting to turn slowly, but it is turning.

HKO
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just who would you be offending?

Either your pro-gun or not
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sans a shotgun having a barrel of less than 20 inches in length; or a firearm made from a shotgun if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or any barrel of less than 20 inches in length."

So some legislators might find a Remington 870 express pump action hunting shotgun offensive.

No they probably would not, however a "sawed off shotgun" is "offensive"  remember your avarage congressman/constituant knows nothing about guns , and  allowing people to have  sawed off shotguns does not sound good, irreguardless of what the actual definitions are
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So just exclude those words from the bill but still change the definition, i.e "striking 20 in line ten of section XXX and replacing it with 18"

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, that's not really accurate.
Some legislators are very pro gun, others very anti gun.  But a lot are inbetween, with no firm convictions either way and could vote pro gun on some bills, anti on others.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]

NRA: We don't want to offend legislators

Whiny Arfcommers: We don't want to spend money to ensure our gun rights don't get legistlated away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that's not really accurate.
Some legislators are very pro gun, others very anti gun.  But a lot are inbetween, with no firm convictions either way and could vote pro gun on some bills, anti on others.

On an issue of allowing handguns back into DC I fail to see how one can be wishy washy on the issue
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It is not a matter of being wishy washy... it is a matter of knowing what you can get at the time taking that and then moving on to the next step. This incremental approach is going to be more effective than a take all or nothing attitude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
CRC, why are trying to stir up shit tonight by mischaracterizing the NRA's efforts & by posting 2001 survey results like they were published yesterday???

I swear... you flirt with being a troll all too often.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top