Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 1:33:34 PM EDT
I don't think this is a dupe.  Here is the NRA''s response that we have been waiting for all weekend.  They have said the right things but I want to see action not words.  They need to haul the City of New Orleans into court along with the state of LA and get this fixed ASAP!

Monday, September 12, 2005

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a start....................I hope they keep at it!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

If New Orleans Chief of Police had ordered the confiscation of books rather than firearms, the ACLU would have IMMEDIATELY had a Federal Judge slap an injunction on the Police Chief's order and had dozens of Federal lawsuits filed against the city already.

The NRA should have already derailed this bullshit by now.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If New Orleans Chief of Police had ordered the confiscation of books rather than firearms, the ACLU would have IMMEDIATELY had a Federal Judge slap an injunction on the Police Chief's order and had dozens of Federal lawsuits filed against the city already.

Mac,   I absolutely agree with you.  Their statement should have been made last Thursday night or first thing Friday morning.  But at least they made a statement.  Now lets see what kind of legal action they are going to take against NO & LA.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't think this is a dupe.  Here is the NRA''s response that we have been waiting for all weekend.  They have said the right things but I want to see action not words.  They need to haul the City of New Orleans into court along with the state of LA and get this fixed ASAP!

Monday, September 12, 2005

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this

about fucking time......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

about fucking time......

I do hope you are a member if you say that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
lk

Quoted:

Honore stated last Thursday, no more embedded journalists. By Saturday, CNN had sued and the Bush Administation had backed down and journalists were allowed back in.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169064,00.html

General: Feds Won't Enforce Evacuation
Sep 11 9:45 AM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON

The commander of active duty troops involved in hurricane relief efforts said Sunday his soldiers will not enforce New Orleans' order for residents to evacuate the flooded city.

Army Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honore said military units are continuing to provide food and water and other aid despite the order, which he indicated is the responsibility of state and local authorities to enforce.

"Federal troops will not be involved in the direct evacuation in any way, of any one, from their home. That is a local and state law enforcement task not to include federal troops," Honore told CNN's "Late Edition."

He added that local officials and the National Guard also are providing food and water to people who have stayed.

Thousands of residents are defying orders to leave the city, but security forces were not physically forcing anyone to go. The mayor, Ray Nagin, had warned that residents could be forcibly removed, but authorities have been reluctant to take that step.

Honore, who heads the military's Joint Task Force Katrina, said that over the next three days, officials should learn how many people died in New Orleans. He said the preliminary figure of 10,000 offered last week by some officials was "a number we'd be very happy to be wrong about."

Honore also addressed the issue of media access during recover efforts. The Bush administration, challenged in court by CNN, agreed on Saturday not to prevent the media from following the effort to recover the bodies of Katrina victims.

On Thursday, Honore said the media would be allowed "zero access" to recovery efforts. But on Sunday, he said reporters and photographers have "total access" to the area.

"I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a reporter," Honore said.

He said his concern had been that news media would report deaths before family members had been notified. Reporters also were denied a seat on rescue craft because of concerns for overcrowding, he said.

The government is not permitting photographers to join rescuers in boats or helicopters during the mission to recover bodies from flooded homes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh but wait!  What was all this talk about the NRA only being worried about sending out mass mailing requesting for donations?!?!?!

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I stated this in another thread, but I will repeat it.

First, they had to verify that it was actually happening.

Second, they can't just file a lawsuit on their own.  It must be on behalf of someone who actually had their gun consficated.  Go back and read the ACLU's lawsuits.  They are ALWAYS on behalf of someone.

I seriously doubt that even the ACLU could get anything done in NOLA right now.

How about a little reality check.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The trick for the NRA will be convincing John Q. Public that we're talking about law abiding citizens protecting their homes here, that this is not an attempt to allow looters and the likes to retain RKBA.

Unfortunately the mainstream media and the Brady Bunch will spin it as just the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got the same e-mail.

Quoted:
Oh but wait!  What was all this talk about the NRA only being worried about sending out mass mailing requesting for donations?!?!?!

Not to worry, they will all find some other excuse reason not to join or donate - they always do...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Follow through, and you may have another member.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I see, they're "exploring every legal option", but they're not actually taking any legal ACTION.  Big difference, and about what I expected.  Meanwhile how many tons of mailers slumming for moeny have they sent out?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagged.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just got the same e-mail.

Quoted:

Not to worry, they will all find some other excuse reason not to join or donate - they always do...

Yep, anything they can find so that they can hang on to their $35!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about fucking time......

I AM a member and I couldn't agree more w/ Voldermortist.

This response was slow in coming and should have been earlier IMO
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All they had to do was listen to the orders from the mouth of the Chief of Police on the news all weekend. Injunctions are to PREVENT questionable or unconstitutional orders from being carried out, not react to what has already been done.

Quoted:
Second, they can't just file a lawsuit on their own.  It must be on behalf of someone who actually had their gun consficated.  Go back and read the ACLU's lawsuits.  They are ALWAYS on behalf of someone.

Again, if it were the ACLU, there'd be hundreds of ACLU "observers" collecting information from people who've had their firearms already confiscated.

As far as responding to gross violations of the 2nd Amendment, the NRA is as effective as a brontosaurus. If the NRA were in charge of the minutemen in 1775 we'd still be British subjects.

Quoted:

Though it wasn't the ACLU, see the response from CNN to the Fed's initial gag-order on journalists.

BTW and FWIW... I am a paying NRA and GOA member.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

about fucking time......

I AM a member and I couldn't agree more w/ Voldermortist.

This response was slow in coming and should have been earlier IMO

Go read LARRYG's post again.  I've been saying the exact same thing in every NRA bashing thread for the last week.  The NRA actually takes time to look into things before blasting all the public officials...because they know they have to work with them and can't go around trash talking them like all the other gun groups do.  Ever wonder why the NRA is the only group that can get a law passed while the only thing other groups can do is kill a bill?  Because the NRA keeps a professional relationship with those in charge, not a crack pot yelling at the top of their lungs at everyone relationship like the other groups have fostered.  The NRA is on the job...I have no doubt that they will take care of business...and I'm proud to be a member.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about fucking time......

no actually I'm not and it's BS like "oh we're not going to bother with HR 1703" or their abysmally slow response to the confiscations that keeps me from being.

If go to town with this though I may very well join up, but right now I'm not too happy with most of the so-called progun organizations like the NRA. seems their responses are always something along the lines of how much money is involved........

ETA: oh yeah, when I said "about fucking time." I said it in sarcasm. I honestly am not expecting anything from the NRA......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I am member so dont get in my face about not being one....

I will beileve they want to help when I see ACTIONS. Not just an email to calm the masses. What can they do? What will they do? Tell me, given the past record of hte NRA, what difference in the NOLA area can they make?
CH
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I got one today. "Stop Liberal Judges from being appointed to the Bench". Funny, I though Bush was President. Is he appointing liberals?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Life member here: About fucking time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I think that there should have been a statment issued sooner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think that there should have been a statment issued sooner.

Agreed.  Like, as soon as this began.

That said, let's hope this is only the beginning.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

about fucking time......

no actually I'm not and it's BS like "oh we're not going to bother with HR 1703" or their abysmally slow response to the confiscations that keeps me from being.

If go to town with this though I may very well join up, but right now I'm not too happy with most of the so-called progun organizations like the NRA. seems their responses are always something along the lines of how much money is involved........

ETA: oh yeah, when I said "about fucking time." I said it in sarcasm. I honestly am not expecting anything from the NRA......

As long as you dont expect anythign then. You say the same for GOA and JPFO and other orgs? Why do you guys single out the NRA alone? Are all gun orgs useless? the only way to get them to be effective is to be involved and have a voice in them. Unitl at least getting involved and giving it a shot, I think folks should not expect the orgs to do anything.

At least you admit you dont expect them to do anything, then again why should someone who never stepped up to at least try to make a difference really expect anything anyways. My main gripe is for the folks who never even joined in an attempt to even try to make a difference and the folks who hate the NRA as much as HCI does. Its amazing how folks sometimes emulate their enemies.

right now I urge folks to
Join the NRA and make a difference, be a voice and make changes
Join the GOA and make a difference, make changes and get the numbers we need
Join the JPFO, they need numbers and they can dispell the myth that Jews are antigunners. (then again many folks here are closet 88's so I wouldnt expect them to join the JPFO)

3 orgs with tens of millions of members each will make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It is called "Standing"
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
LaPierre and Cox give a speech and we are supposed to wet ourselves and congratulate them on the massive "action"?

shooter
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Remember that public response is being closely watched after events like confiscations.

So far, I would say that it has gone swimmingly for the gun grabbers.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully the NRA will step up and get involved legally. If not, well ,I am a member year to year, so if I don't like their actions(or lack of ,I will quit)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All they had to do was listen to the orders from the mouth of the Chief of Police on the news all weekend. Injunctions are to PREVENT questionable or unconstitutional orders from being carried out, not react to what has already been done.

How do you file an injunction when you don't know about it until he said something.  What are they, mind readers?

Him saying it is not proof.

Quoted:

Again, if it were the ACLU, there'd be hundreds of ACLU "observers" collecting information from people who've had their firearms already confiscated.

Really, does the ACLU have "observers in NOLA right now?

As far as responding to gross violations of the 2nd Amendment, the NRA is as effective as a brontosaurus. If the NRA were in charge of the minutemen in 1775 we'd still be British subjects.

Hell, California violates the 2nd Amendment grossly every damn day and has been for years.  If we had 20 million instead of 4 million plus 16 million whining non-members, they might have more clout. (not including you, I read you are a member)

Quoted:

Though it wasn't the ACLU, see the response from CNN to the Fed's initial gag-order on journalists.

CNN pushed the point, knowing the end result, and had their lawyers at the ready.

It does take time to gather facts and not go screaming hysterically because some chief Moose wannabe runs his mouth.

BTW and FWIW... I am a paying NRA and GOA member.

Glad you are a paying member.  Now, about that list of GOA's accomplishments..................
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#30]
You know, in all of the NRA bashing threads, all I kept hearing was

"They should at least make a statement".

Now that they have made a statement, it's

"Well, just because they made a statement doesn't mean they are realing going to do anything"

Always an excuse.

If you dont like the way the NRA is being run, then JOIN and voice your opposition. If you don't get the magazine it's even cheaper.

Make a stand against the things that you don't like about them, to them.

I wished that they had done something prior to today. You know what I did? I told them so!

If we had 10 milion members instead of 4 million, voicing their opinions on what they want the NRA to become, the NRA WOULD become just that, what you want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
So what is going on with the GOA response? I thought they were the NO COMPROMISE group.

Ah, here is is on their web site:

Gun Confiscations in New Orleans

GOA has received reports that the confiscation of legally-owned firearms has commenced in New Orleans.  In addition to denouncing this in the press, GOA will also be looking to draft legislation at both the state and federal level to preclude authorities from imposing ANY firearms restrictions during emergency response activities.

This is expected to be a lengthy and arduous process.  If you haven't joined GOA yet, please consider going to http://www.gunowners.org/ordergoamem.htm and doing so to help in this endeavor.

Huh! It appears they are doing the same thing as the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#32]
A statment, its a start.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone been able to confirm that the gun confescations have continued?

I did a Yahoo news search last evening.  Not only were there no mention of more gun confescations but it looks like the "forced evacuations" are being postponed indefininently.  Something about there being way too many people for them to remove.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So what is going on with the GOA response? I thought they were the NO COMPROMISE group.

Ah, here is is on their web site:

Gun Confiscations in New Orleans

GOA has received reports that the confiscation of legally-owned firearms has commenced in New Orleans.  In addition to denouncing this in the press, GOA will also be looking to draft legislation at both the state and federal level to preclude authorities from imposing ANY firearms restrictions during emergency response activities.

This is expected to be a lengthy and arduous process.  If you haven't joined GOA yet, please consider going to http://www.gunowners.org/ordergoamem.htm and doing so to help in this endeavor.

Huh! It appears they are doing the same thing as the NRA.

Oh, that can't be right.  I bet they are down there roaming the streets right now, guns at the ready, gonna take on those coppers.

I am a member of both groups, yet I don't see GOA as any great shakes and certainly less clout, by far, than NRA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
too much too little too late.. NRA
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Has anyone been able to confirm that the gun confescations have continued?

I did a Yahoo news search last evening.  Not only were there no mention of more gun confescations but it looks like the "forced evacuations" are being postponed indefininently.  Something about there being way too many people for them to remove.

Please don't muddy the NRA-bashing with facts or logical questions...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#37]
got this alert today:

NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 12, No. 37 9/16/05

NRA ON THE GROUND IN LOUISIANA

As was reported last week, in the wake of unspeakable crimes perpetrated by roving, armed gangs and individuals, authorities in New Orleans seized legal firearms from lawful residents, effectively disarming the very citizenry they are sworn to protect.

On Monday, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox slammed New Orleans authorities for this incredible action.

"What we've seen in Louisiana--the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster--is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.  "For state, local, or federal government to disarm these good people in their own homes using the threat of imminent deadly force, is unthinkable."

"The NRA will not stand by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who're trying to defend themselves," Cox said.  "We're exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans."

To that end, NRA has put professional investigators to work on the ground in New Orleans and surrounding areas.  News stories and members' detailed accounts have been followed up on, but we need more information.  Some of our best leads have come from rank and file law enforcement, but we need to hear from all directly affected citizens.

If you have personally had a gun confiscated in Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina hit, please call (888) 414-6333.  Be prepared to leave only your name and immediate contact information so we can get back to you.  Once again, we are seeking contact information from actual victims of gun confiscation in Louisiana only.

For additional information, please visit www.NRAILA.org, or e-mail us at [email protected].
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be nice, Mac, but it just isn't the way the NRA can work.
The NRA is a reactive organization.  They spot a wrong, speak out about it and explain why it's wrong and then they take the issue to the membership.  I just got a mailer about the upcoming congressional elections and the "Weyerhauser issue".  The NRA explained the facts and where they stand and then asked ME as an NRA member what I WANT them to gear up for.  Putting the legal defense fund into action takes money and money and money (for the lawyers, etc.)  They asked me if I wanted to dedicate a contribution to the "Weyerhauser issue" or if I wanted the NRA PVF/ILA to concentrate on the upcoming congressional elections.
In the weeks ahead, we NRA members will get mailers about the gun confiscations in N.O. and we'll be asked if we can donate money to the legal fund that will be necessary to fight this bullshit.  This is the way it works.  The NRA is prepared to fight whatever battles the MEMBERSHIP WANTS them to fight.
The NRA is not a law enforcement organization.  There is very little we can do proactively aside from trying to get gun rights friendly politicians into office.  When it come down to violations of the Second Amendment by government, etc. the battle is always going to be an after-the-fact legal fight.  And how effectively that fight is waged will always be up to how much money we NRA members can put into the legal battle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know the name and address of a single, who isn't a felon, who wasn't looting, who didn't brandish a firearm in front of the police who had the police show up at their door and confiscate their firearms?  Until someone like that comes forward the NRA, SAF, GOA...ect cannot file a lawsuit because the lawsuit has to be filed on the behalf of someone who was wronged.  Since both the NRA and SAF are begging for people to come forward it doesn't appear that many legit people had their firearms confiscated.  If no one comes forward how can you blame the NRA for too little too late...there is nothing further they can do until they track down someone who was wronged.  As for the ACLU, the same rules apply.  But given the liberal media and the fact that "free speech" or being "disenfranchised" doesn't really require any evidence all they have to do is get any joe off the street to complain and be listed as a party that was wronged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top