Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 6:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2003 6:11:07 AM EDT by tc6969]
Clone topic please refer to
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=219913&w=searchPop

I heard on the news last night that the NRA is 100 million dollars in debt and membership is down.  Did anyone else hear about this?  Where did all of the money go?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:18:40 PM EDT
The NRA has been on the financial edge for many years. It is really expensive to lobbists and lawyers. And not all that many people contribute, that is why the must solicit donations 366 days a year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 8:49:33 PM EDT by Max_Mike]
The NRA is also very ineffectually run.

Several years ago they built a new headquarters on some of the most expensive real estate in the whole country… incurring a huge amount of debt. If they had built just a few miles further out from DC they would have saved a small fortune.

I have had 2 really bad membership experiences with the NRA in the early 80’s after being a member for several years I sent in my annual membership and after they cashed the check they lost my payment, or so they said… it took me months to get that straightened out.

After in 1998 I decided to join again. Last October when I renewed I paid online… got confirming e-mails of my renewal and the charge showed up on my credit card bill. In June of this year I notice I stopped getting my American rifleman magazine I call to see why and was informed I let my membership lapse. Unfortunately late last year I canceled the credit card I had used when I renewed and I did not keep the past invoices… my fault. But even with the confirming e-mails from the NRA (which I did keep) they had no interest in checking to see if they had charged my card, politely and non-directly insinuated I was a liar and told me tough luck.

I am done with the NRA. I am not the only person I know of to have similar experiences with the NRA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:58:49 PM EDT
Hypothically they should be getting several million a year from just member dues.

4-3 million paying $30 a year.

That adds up to something like $40-70 million a year. The fact they are having those troubles is rather disturbing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:16:03 PM EDT
i wonder how much they'd save on postage if they stopped sending so much junk mail.

i tried to join a long time ago and after the CC info was given nothing even happened.  i am a member now.  

i wish they were a little more hardcore about all gun rights (NFA stuff) and had a no compromise attitude.  
Top Top