Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
link?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Surprise, surprise!  

Seriously, did any one think they would endorse Kerry?  I don't think so, not with George Soros and the IANSA behind Kerry.  To endorse him would have been an endorsement for UN gun control.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Surprise, surprise!  

Seriously, did any one think they would endorse Kerry?  I don't think so, not with George Soros and the IANSA behind Kerry.  To endorse him would have been an endorsement for UN gun control.

i think the question was whether they would officially endorse the President or not
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The endorsement is also in this month's American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]

First link I could find... there's sure to be more...

www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/9907895.htm?1c

Posted on Wed, Oct. 13, 2004

National Rifle Association endorses Bush for president

SHARON THEIMER

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The National Rifle Association endorsed President Bush for re-election on Wednesday, promising millions of dollars for ads, phone banks and other get-out-the-vote efforts.

"The Supreme Court is going to be crucial to the future of the Second Amendment, and President Bush will appoint justices that respect the Bill of Rights," NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre told The Associated Press in a phone interview before announcing the endorsement at a news conference in Duluth, Minn.

Bush also supports legislation to protect the firearms industry from lawsuits and opposes centralizing files on gun owners, LaPierre said, calling the difference between Bush and Democrat John Kerry on guns "day and night."

LaPierre also planned news conferences in Flint, Mich.; Youngstown, Ohio, and Pittsburgh.

The gun-rights group's political action committee has already spent roughly $1 million on TV and other advertising opposing Kerry.

The NRA plans to spend about $20 million in all, focused on 10 to 15 targeted states, with efforts including radio, television and newspaper ads, phone banks, door-to-door voter contacts, up to 10 million pieces of direct mail and election messages in magazines that go to the group's 4 million members.

Kerry says he has been a hunter from childhood and a gun owner who supports the Second Amendment. But he has voted in favor of gun control and has supported extending a now-expired ban on assault-style weapons and requiring background checks at gun shows. He opposes granting gun makers immunity from civil lawsuits.

Kerry's campaign has derided the NRA's leaders as tools of the Republican Party and said they are out of touch with their membership.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
You mean that after the 25 anti-Kerry mailings that the NRA has sent to my house, they actually had a separate announcement to endorse Bush?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
This is no surprise to me.

He sent VP Dick Chaney to be the keynote speaker at the NRA convention, and he directed AG John Ashcroft to write a letter to NRA chief Wayne LaPierre affirming his support for the 2nd Amendment.

How much more pro-gun can you get?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Kerry says he has been a hunter from childhood and a gun owner who supports the Second Amendment. But he has voted in favor of gun control and has supported extending a now-expired ban on assault-style weapons and requiring background checks at gun shows. He opposes granting gun makers immunity from civil lawsuits.

For what it is worth, I bought 3 guns at gun shows this year, the seller did a NICS check everytime.

Kerry needs to get his head out of his ass.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought with the anti-campaign finance reform laws that the NRA was going to be prohibited to do any kind of campaigning this close to the election.  Or is there some kind of loophole?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They have likely set up a taxable 527 group that is not regulated, tax-exempt 527s face restrictions.

that and they have their own news org. now too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Hummmmmmmmmmmm.........the same Bush that said "I'll sign the reauthorization of the AWB if it makes it my desk."?
That Bush?
Yep, a true friend of the Gunners of America!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hummmmmmmmmmmm.........the same Bush that said "I'll sign the reauthorization of the AWB if it makes it my desk."?
That Bush?

'

Get your Life Memberships now
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That Bush?

And tell me again, which gun control measures have been passed during Bush's 4 year tenure?
Riiiiggghtt....  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#20]
This is good news. IIRC, they did not endorse Bush 41 OR Dole.

Did they endorse W in 2000?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That Bush?

I'll screw your sister if she makes it to my place wearing a nice skimpy nightie.

See how that works?  I have no intention of hitting your sister, as I am fully aware that the odds of her showing up at my place are little to none.  

Same thing with Bush.  He knew (and surely took steps behind the scenes to make sure) that the bill wouldn't reach his desk.   It was macheovellian politics at its best.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad to have you back on board HiramRanger.

This month's American Hunter has a letter asking people to vote for GWB and like five anti-Kerry articles.  It has a softball interview with GWB (NRA: "George, why are you such a pro-second amendment stud?"  GWB: "It's hard work Wayne.").  On the cover there is a list of reccommended candidates; for president the NRA endorses GWB.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That Bush?

I'll screw your sister if she makes it to my place wearing a nice skimpy nightie.

See how that works?  I have no intention of hitting your sister, as I am fully aware that the odds of her showing up at my place are little to none.  

Same thing with Bush.  He knew (and surely took steps behind the scenes to make sure) that the bill wouldn't reach his desk.   It was macheovellian politics at its best.  

OMFG@! The Master of the Analogy!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Already have a life membership, need to send them some $$$ though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Debating whether I want their useless magazine or not...  Hated the Rifleman, anybody get America's First Freedom - the news magazine - any good?  They sure did jack the cost of a life membership up...

I get all three, well I used to get AFF and AR. Now I get AR, and AH....wife gets the other two. It's a good rag  Isuppose. There are common articles throughout the three rags WRT politics. The difference lies in the Hunting stories and gear in AH, and New shooting toys/gadgets in AR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#27]
This is bad timing.  They should have done it tomorrow...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I upgraded to Endowment when the AWB renewal died.
The NRA's power is in the number of people who are members.
If you aren't a member, you are screwing yourself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That Bush?

+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  You think Kerry is going to bash Bush with an NRA endorsement?  How do you think that will play with moderate democrats who happen to own guns and support Kerry and are members of the NRA?  Sure, they could have waited, but I don't see this doing a lot of harm.

I also wonder what the viewership for the debate will be after there have already been two and the Yankees play the Red Sox at the same time?  I see men watching the game and women going shopping or spending time with the kids.

DAMN IT, Hiram! Stop changing my mind!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That Bush?

+1

So, I will ask you too, Mr +1...please name me the gun control legislation passed during the Bush administration.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That Bush?

You have to take a look at the political environment if you are trying to understand what he said.  Remember, he's a politician that wants to get re-elected.  If he sees that there is no way Congress is going to send him a new bill then it's safe, politically, for him to say that.  It will please the sheep but anyone that knew any thing about the 1994 AWB and it's chance for renewal knew Bush was blowing smoke.

It’s really simple when you take it all into context instead of just picking out what suits your agenda.

Maybe you should look at Kerry and his money man George Soros.  Then tell me who is a bigger threat to gun owners.  It's the ones that don't say anything that worry me
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That Bush?

+1

So, I will ask you too, Mr +1...please name me the gun control legislation passed during the Bush administration.

I find it amusing that these same folks that scream, "but Bush said he would sign it if it reached his desk", are the same folks that don't believe him when he says we are winning the war on terror, the economy is recovering, jobless claims are falling and we are spending more on domestic programs than we ever have before  It's funny that they don't believe anythine else out of his mouth but, "he said he would sign it"!  They take that one quote as the gospel and dismiss everything else he has ever said or stated.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I guess this is my year for renewals on memberships. AR15.com / GSSF / Florida Sheriff's Assoc. / Play Boy / Jane's Def. Weekly / Smal Arms Review / and now NRA!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  You think Kerry is going to bash Bush with an NRA endorsement?  How do you think that will play with moderate democrats who happen to own guns and support Kerry and are members of the NRA?  Sure, they could have waited, but I don't see this doing a lot of harm.

I also wonder what the viewership for the debate will be after there have already been two and the Yankees play the Red Sox at the same time?  I see men watching the game and women going shopping or spending time with the kids.

Viewership will be high where it matters...

Folks in the midwest (well, WI anyway) are pretty sick of baseball by now...

Now, if it had been on Monday night, well then there would have been a sports conflict (Watching the Packers self destruct spectacularly... Hmm... I wonder how Dallas will do this year - probably better than Green Bay)....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That Bush?

WHOS THE OPTION?   TAKE YOUR BRAIN OUT OF NEUTRAL FOR ONE SECOND AND NAME WHO THE OPTION IS???????????????????????

I take it you're voting for Kerry or are you going to PISS AWAY your vote on some Libertarian no one's ever heard of?

John Kerry is the option!  John Kerry and the Democrap party funded by George Soros.  Yes, the same George Soros who funded IANSA.  Yes, the same IANSA that had a debate with the NRA last night on why Americans should turn in their guns like the Aussies and the Brits did and how we should shit-can our Constitution and fall under "international law".
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I think we were better off without the endorsesment.
Now the Demo. liars will be linking him to every shooting and gun related problem...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I received an e-mail this morning:

NRA'S POLITICAL VICTORY FUND ENDORSES PRESIDENT BUSH!

Today, NRA's Political Victory Fund (www.NRAPVF.org) endorsed President George W. Bush for re-election to the White House.

"On behalf of NRA's four million members and tens of millions of American gun owners and sportsmen I'm proud to endorse President Bush for re-election to the White House," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "The differences between President Bush and John Kerry on issues of concern to gun owners and sportsmen couldn't be clearer. John Kerry has never met a gun control bill he didn't like. He has voted against gun owners more than 50 times as a U.S. Senator, and has accepted the endorsement of the Humane Society of the United States-one of the most virulently anti-hunting organizations in America," Cox added.

"NRA stands with President George W. Bush on November 2," said Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President. "If you believe in freedom and want to preserve the Second Amendment for future generations, vote to re-elect President Bush and Vice President Cheney. In the United States we have a long tradition of hunting and sport shooting," stated LaPierre. "President Bush and Vice President Cheney both love to hunt and fish. They know the Constitution guarantees people the personal right to bear arms. And, they want to pass the values of our Nation on to a new generation."

President Bush: Friend of Gun Owners

The Bush Administration stated, "that the text and original intent of the Second Amendment clearly protect the right of individuals to keep and bear firearms," reversing the Clinton Administration position that the Second Amendment only applies to state militias;

President Bush sent representatives to the United Nations with a clear message: we will not allow the UN to impose international regulations that would violate the Second Amendment and infringe on our sovereignty;

George W. Bush respects America's sporting and hunting heritage. His administration signed an agreement with 17 major sportsmen's organizations to improve hunting and fishing access to Federal lands, and initiated a conservation agenda to protect millions of acres of forest, wetlands, and grasslands for future generations of hunters;

As President, he gave money to prosecute federal gun crimes through Project Safe Neighborhoods and signed a national Right-to-Carry law for law enforcement officers;

President Bush knows that holding the American firearm industry responsible for the acts of criminals is wrong. That's why he supported the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act," to prevent reckless lawsuits against lawful American businesses.

John Kerry: A Gun Owner's Worst Nightmare

Kerry voted in 2004 to ban most center-fire rifle ammunition, including the most common rounds used by deer hunters, siding with Ted Kennedy, and said in a CNN interview, "I think you ought to tax all ammunition more, personally, I think you ought to tax guns." ("Late Edition," Nov. 7, 1993);

Kerry cast numerous votes to ban guns, and currently is a co-sponsor of S. 1431, which would ban all semi-automatic shotguns, all semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines, and many other guns commonly used by sportsmen;

Kerry voted to effectively shut down gun shows in America; voted to hold firearm manufacturers responsible for the acts of criminals; and voted 11 times to impose waiting periods on law-abiding gun buyers;

Kerry has a 100% voting record with, and earned the endorsement of, the Brady Campaign (Formerly Handgun Control, Inc.)-a group that says you have no right to own any gun. And, he repeatedly earns the support of PETA and the Humane Society of the United States-groups who openly want to ban all hunting in America.

Chris Cox summed it up well: "Without a doubt, John Kerry and John Edwards are the most anti-gun presidential ticket in our country's history."

Not understating the importance of the November 2 election for the future of our Second Amendment rights, Wayne LaPierre concluded, "The future of our freedom is at stake on November 2. Join with us, and ask your family, friends, and fellow sportsmen to join with us, in voting for a freer and stronger America. Vote to re-elect President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney."

There are a number of ways you can get involved with the Bush-Cheney re-election efforts:

1) The Republican National Committee (RNC) has put together a sportsmen specific 72-Hour Deployment plan. This entails sportsmen and sportswomen from "non-target" states traveling to "target" states to organize sportsmen during the last 72 hours of the campaign. A 72-Hour Task Force Volunteer must be willing to participate in grassroots activities such as walking door to door, mailing literature, and phone banking. He or she must be willing to commit at least five to seven (or even more) days of his time to the 72-Hour Task Force Volunteer Program (though if you can only volunteer a couple/few days, you will be utilized). Each volunteer would need to commit to arriving in the assigned target state no later than the evening of Thursday, October 28, and stay through Election Day. Travel and hotel expenses would be covered. In addition, volunteers will receive a per diem for food. (The RNC will make your travel arrangements.) If you or someone you know can help with this endeavor, please contact Angela Hill at (202) 863-8600 or via e-mail at: [email protected]. WHEN CONTACTING ANGELA, PLEASE LET HER KNOW YOUR ARE AN NRA MEMBER AND SECOND AMENDMENT SUPPORTER!

2) Please contact your local NRA-ILA Election Volunteer Coordinator (EVC), who is a local NRA member spearheading our pro-gun volunteer campaign efforts. To locate your EVC, please visit NRA's websites (www.NRAILA.org or www.NRAPVF.org) or contact the ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-VOTE-8683.

PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
BY EXERCISING YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2!!!
VOTE BUSH-CHENEY ON ELECTION DAY!!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes they did, and the President thanked them (us) by stating during the debate that he still supports the AWB.  I've been very pleased with the NRA this year, and recently donated to NRA News - but I'm not happy with the President.  I don't care how many "behind-the-scenes moves" he can make to assure our rights; I want a president who is not afraid to look into the camera and state the facts about the AWB.  Public opinion matters with regard to this issue, and the President's comments can affect that opinion tremendously.  An NRA endorsement doesn't ensure the vote of every NRA member.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
JPFO Charter Member
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yes they did, and the President thanked them (us) by stating during the debate that he still supports the AWB.  I've been very pleased with the NRA this year, and recently donated to NRA News - but I'm not happy with the President.  I don't care how many "behind-the-scenes moves" he can make to assure our rights; I want a president who is not afraid to look into the camera and state the facts about the AWB.  Public opinion matters with regard to this issue, and the President's comments can affect that opinion tremendously.  An NRA endorsement doesn't ensure the vote of every NRA member...

You are certainly entitled to your grudge opinion , but you must realize that the debate last night (and comments therein) were not for our benefit.  I wish he could have taken a harder line on several issues last night, but the political reality is that he could not if he wants to be re-elected.  I understand that - not like, but understand.  YMMV.

ETA:  Good for you, HR!  I admire any man who is true to his word!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top