Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 6:24:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like their a bunch of RINO's in the House too.

Anybody know of any pro-gun Democracts in the House?

CRC
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If Tom Delay says its dead, IT'S DEAD!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been telling you all, the Republican party on capitol hill is NOT your and my republican party.

A bunch of big government crybaby ninnies, many of them are.

John McCain the worst of the lot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]

An aide to House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) has said privately that if Bush pushes for it, the ban will probably be reauthorized.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my latest American Rifleman 06/2004 in the mail. NRA's chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, had a 1-on-1 interview with Tom Delay. Interesting reading.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Centrist Republicans in the House are urging the administration to get involved. In an interview, Rep. Michael Castle (R-Del.) said, “Pressure will build” to renew the ban in the coming months.

Ever notice how there are no "leftist" Republicans? If you're a RINO, the media labels you as a "moderate" or "centrist". If not, they call you "conservative" or "radical right-wing".
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just got my latest American Rifleman 06/2004 in the mail. NRA's chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, had a 1-on-1 interview with Tom Delay. Interesting reading.

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC

He said "Send $35 to the NRA and you can get the magazine. While you're at it, send $20 to ARFCOM."

You ride the coat tails of  people that are part of the solution, and you expect them to read their friggin NRA magazine to you too?

Some people!

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC

He said "Send $35 to the NRA and you can get the magazine. While you're at it, send $20 to ARFCOM."

You ride the coat tails of  people that are part of the solution, and you expect them to read their friggin NRA magazine to you too?

Some people!

Well said!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
This makes it easy. Only two letters. Hastert and Bush. Keep sending.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC

Some people!

Hey, maybe some of us are too lazy to walk to the crapper to get it and read it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
They talk about a lot of other stuff, but this is what concerns us at the moment:

NRA Chris Cox: During debate on the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act," the Senate passed an amendment by Sen. Dianne Feinstein(D-Calif.) to extend Bill Clinton's 1994 gun ban for another 10 years. Back in 1996, you were one of the 239 House members who voted to repeal the ban. Why did you believe the law should be repealed then, and has anything during the past 10 years happended to change your opinion?

Rep. Delay: I am and have been against the gun ban, because I believe it violates the 2nd Amendment, and nothing in the last 10 years has changed that. The 2nd Amend. states....., and I don't see enough support in the House to ensure passage of something that would so blatantly infringe on this individual right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC

Some people!

Fair enough, but then why mention the article in the first place? 1 assumption is that every last one of us is holding our copy of NRA's rag, which makes the post a waste of time. The other assumption is that not all of us have the NRA mag, in which case the poster wishes for us to know the contents of the article, or he wouldn't have f**king mentioned it.

Some people!

BTW, I'd send more money to the NRA but I'm boycotting LaPierre's hair-transplant fund. Oh, and I'm broke.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
You could actually go buy it at a bookstore (B&N carries NRA mags even here in the Seattle area).
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Bush supports the renewal of the 10-year ban but has not called on the GOP-controlled Congress to act. If he does so, the move would probably cost him the endorsement of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

... Pay up your dues gentlemen!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Mike Castle can start a discharge petition; but it isn't going anywhere. You need a majority of votes in the House in order to have a successful discharge petition - so he can't force a vote on the discharge petition unless he already has enough votes to pass the bill - and he doesn't.

Even if he somehow did manage to scare up a majority of the House to support such a bill, the House operates under different rules then the Senate. The Judiciary committee doesn't have to report out the proposed bill, they can report out a "marked up" version of the proposed bill with their own special add-ons (repeal of the 1986 ban?) - in fact, this is exactly how the MG ban got added to the 1986 FOPA. The Judiciary committee has a majority of GOA A-rated members, so I don't see them reporting out a bill that Castle is going to like.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#18]
My congressman is David Drier, he is the chair of the rules committee, he won't let it come up for a vote. Just a lot of pre-election politics before they adjourd for the November elections. But if Bush loses and Kerry becomes prez, then all bets are off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I am impressed how the NRA is really going to bat for us.  They killed their pet bill to stop the AWB renewal, and now they are withholding their endorsement of GWB.

The NRA did not endorse the Republican presidential nominee in 92 or 96, and the Republicans lost both elections.  That is a damned strong message to GWB.

Bitch about the NRA all you want, but the NRA is solely responsible for stopping the renewal of the AWB.  GWB, the Republicans in Congress, and the "conservative majority" on the Supreme Court, all of whom have sworn to uphold the Constitution, would pass on the ban in a heartbeat.  The GOA, Libertarians and others are totally irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
It ain't over til it's over.
I'm no expert on parliamentary proceedure, but I'll bet you that there are a dozen senarios under which the AWB could end up not just getting renewed, but end up being made permanent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am impressed how the NRA is really going to bat for us.  They killed their pet bill to stop the AWB renewal, and now they are withholding their endorsement of GWB.

The NRA did not endorse the Republican presidential nominee in 92 or 96, and the Republicans lost both elections.  That is a damned strong message to GWB.

Bitch about the NRA all you want, but the NRA is solely responsible for stopping the renewal of the AWB.  GWB, the Republicans in Congress, and the "conservative majority" on the Supreme Court, all of whom have sworn to uphold the Constitution, would pass on the ban in a heartbeat.  The GOA, Libertarians and others are totally irrelevant.

This is the most accurate thing said here in days...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the NRA's position on this.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#23]
We can talk celebration on Sept. 14th and not a day before.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Am I the only one here who thinks the NRA took too much liberty in claiming credit for the AWB defeat in March? They only gave Larry Craig lip service in their article concerning the matter. I get sick of them tooting their own horn sometimes.

-P.S.

Paying on my life membership, in case anyone wondered.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did Delay say?

Thanks

CRC

Some people!

Wow . What about people like me that sent the $35 to the NRA and declined the mags so the NRA could save the cash for a better reason?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I've met Mike Castle on several occasions when he was governor of Delaware and I was working for a firm pitching professional services to the state of Delaware.  I think I can state with absolute certainty he's an idiot.  A bonafide, grade-A assclown.  A move like this doesn't surprise me one bit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#28]
So are we going to get fired up here?  The media, RINOs and Dems sure seem to be.  This Castle just effective gave us all the finger and has said that we will vote Bush no matter how deep he sticks it in.  I for one plan to write and call to inform them they are dead wrong.  I will vote GWB this election...unless the AWB passes renewed, extended, less or more restrictive, whatever.  It will cost my vote... period.  Same goes for any republican in my district that goes along with it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the most accurate thing said here in days...

yup
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The antis may be down, but they're not entirely out; they're going to try and pull any available rabbit out of their ass' right up until Sept 13th.

Castle is the primary author of  H.R.3831... To extend the sunset on the assault weapons ban for 10 years.

thomas.loc.gov

I wouldn't doubt it if the failed AWB in MD has anything to do this attempted ploy of his.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Bitch about the NRA all you want, but the NRA is solely responsible for stopping the renewal of the AWB.   The GOA, Libertarians and others are totally irrelevant.

the GOA is an effective 2nd ammendement lobby, just ask  DeLay

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#32]
OK then, here is the second most accurate thing said here in days:

Quoted:
We can talk celebration on Sept. 14th and not a day before.

Hopefully the Cox/Delay interview will also be in my America's First Freedom 06/04 magazine.

Feinswein continues to peddle her hypocritical BS...
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Feinswein continues to peddle her hypocritical BS...

Some of the news media is also push this BS, hoping that they can make some head way, but MOST likely it is pretty much dead for this term. But it would be interesting what happens next term, when it will be GWB's last term in office, I forget the political term for this.... getting old. Lame duck is the word I was looking for, finally remembered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top