Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:47:52 AM EDT
The below press release was released by NRA today.

It can also be found at:

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=6539

=====================================================================

Major Victory For Firearms Owners And Freedom In Louisiana

Friday, September 23, 2005

(Fairfax, VA) -- The United States District Court for the Eastern District in Louisiana today sided with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable and law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

"This is a significant victory for freedom and for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The court's ruling is instant relief for the victims who now have an effective means of defending themselves from the robbers and rapists that seek to further exploit the remnants of their shattered lives," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Joining LaPierre in hailing the U.S. District Court decision was NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. "This is an important victory. But the battle is not over. The NRA will remedy state emergency statutes in all 50 states, if needed, to ensure that this injustice does not happen again."

The controversy erupted when The New York Times reported, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that "only law enforcement
are allowed to have weapons." ABC News quoted New Orleans' deputy police chief, saying, "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

The NRA also pledged that it will continue its work to ensure that every single firearm arbitrarily and unlawfully seized under this directive is returned to the rightful law-abiding owner.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 10:49:27 AM EDT by PAEBR332]
[sarcasm mode]The NRA is worthless. They never really defend our rights. They only ask for money.[/sarcasm mode]

IBTNRAB

In before the NRA bashing. You know it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 10:50:41 AM EDT by macman37]
You missed the five page brouhaha?

'sokay- it's good news and you can have your own five pager off it.

(tag, bump, MARPIE, nuke'em til they glow, ROP, BBQ)

Wait, this is different! They got the restraining order!

WOOOT!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:50:37 AM EDT
NRA
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:51:09 AM EDT
What about charging the THIEVES that stole the weapons for their crimes?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT
I was waiting to see NRA perform a blatently good act in support of an issue that was important to *me*. Not just hunters. (I don't hunt.)

They just earned a lifetime membership from me. Next paycheck.

John
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:51:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:

WOOOT!

hey, thats mine!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:41 AM EDT
By the way, NRA bashers, notice how fast that was?

Once they got their ducks in a row- proof and whatnot (pretty necessary)- it didn't take long at all for the confiscations to stop.

Now they need to work on getting guns back to those that they unlawfully stole them from...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:47 AM EDT
WOOT!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:53:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:

WOOOT!

hey, thats mine!!

LOL
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:53:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JSteensen:
I was waiting to see NRA perform a blatently good act in support of an issue that was important to *me*. Not just hunters. (I don't hunt.)

John

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:54:19 AM EDT
Makes me glad I'm a member, wish I had the scratch for the lifetime membership.

How bout some help in NY?? It seems like letters I write must be used for toilet paper...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:54:52 AM EDT

John

Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:55:00 AM EDT
Whoa !!! WTG NRA !
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:56:38 AM EDT

John

You know about "Easy Pay Life", right?

$25/quarter until paid in full. Easiest way to do a life membership without cutting that $750 check.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:56:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pangea:

Last time I checked, a civil rights violation was certainly a federal felony offense.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:57:42 AM EDT
The ruling sounds good to me. Now I'd like to see criminal prosecutions of all involed. Start with nagin and his idiot police chief... This is nothing without accountability. Civil rights were violated, justice needs to be served.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:58:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kissfan:

John

You know about "Easy Pay Life", right?

$25/quarter until paid in full. Easiest way to do a life membership without cutting that $750 check.

Very cool. Definately able to afford it now. :-)

John
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:00:02 AM EDT
Mayor Nagin -----> <---------NRA
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:00:16 AM EDT
THe NRA has the momentium now, glad to see it. I hope they finally realize that 2A isn't about duck hunting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:00:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 11:08:14 AM EDT by out4trout]
OKAY WHINERS TIME TO EAT SOME CROW!

The NRA took them to court and got an injunction. They put an end to the gun grab! The NRA bashers will be here shortly, pissing and moaning. The NRA didn't do this, the NRA didn't do that. I'm still pissed at them. I won't support them till they address this issue or that issue WHAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAA

Let's celebrate one victory at a time. Join the NRA let them know what your issues are. Join SAF, or CCRKBA or whatever. Do us all a favor NRA Bashers for a few minutes just STFU
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:00:55 AM EDT
Time for a GOA press release.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:01:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:01:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BenDover:

Last time I checked, a civil rights violation was certainly a federal felony offense.

Umm... the only folks I saw on the news having their firearms confiscated were WHITE.

How can they have their Civil Rights violated?

Civil Rights aren't meant for white people. The former head of the US Commission on Civil Rights even said so:

"Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them."
~ Mary Frances Berry,
Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:01:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BenDover:

hoping they are next in line for the spanking
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:02:19 AM EDT
That sounds like good news to me.

I like good news

GM
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:03:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Time for a GOA press release.

Yup , join them too

all RKBA orgs need to be packed full with as many members as possible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:04:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CS223:
THe NRA has the momentium now, glad to see it. I hope they finally realize that 2A isn't about duck hunting.

Sorry for calling you out here, but...

If this was 1990 I'd agree with you. The NRA for a long time was just about hunting IMHO. But since the early/mid 90s they've been more and more political even as they embrace the hunters - there are a lot of hunters out there we need to woo.

The new issues of the Rifleman I get have plenty of articles on ARs and the surplus guns we like to discuss here. Their sister publication Shooting Illustrated is often downright an EBR magazine!

The "NRA is for hunters only" thing just doesn't hold water anymore. Honestly - don't take this as a flame, but they're for RIGHTS, not just protecting Granddad's O/U shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:04:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brouhaha:

Huh?

I didn't miss it.

Kindly note the lack of comma in that post
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:06:13 AM EDT
I think the NRA has stepped up on this one. Also every NRA member I know contacted them about this and was pissed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
I am glad that I joined the day this crap started.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:19:34 AM EDT

The United States District Court for the Eastern District in Louisiana today sided with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable and law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Wake up call: I think the cops have seized all the guns that they wanted over the past weeks. The cow has left the barn - disregard closing the door.

CWO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:25:34 AM EDT
WooT! Now go the next step, prosecute those who took the guns - our "Heroes"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:27:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:

The United States District Court for the Eastern District in Louisiana today sided with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable and law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Wake up call: I think the cops have seized all the guns that they wanted over the past weeks. The cow has left the barn - disregard closing the door.

CWO

Wake up call: This is step one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:29:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:

CWO

Uh right sure...

It actually seems that any real attempt at enforcing that gun grab order ended the moment the CHP got caught roughing up that lady on film- that same morning they took all the guns off the staff of the Times Picayune holed up in their building- and then that afternoon AFTER they had appeared on FOX the same CHP officers returned to those men their guns- but with no explination.

Not that very many LEOs or National Guardsmen- and NONE of the Regular military- listened to that order, which was on the face illegal. Some out of state NGs and LEOs who thought that commercial radio was a valid substitute for the chain of command and the NOPD might have done this. They will be punished. Some of the NOPD are looking at a lot worse charges than civil rights violations...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:30:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:

Some out of state NGs and LEOs who thought that commercial radio was a valid substitute for the chain of command and the NOPD might have done this. They will be punished. Some of the NOPD are looking at a lot worse charges than civil rights violations...

Yeah, RIGHT........
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:33:07 AM EDT
No complacency...I'm a life member of the NRA and this is what I EXPECT them to do and I'm very happy about it. That said, this action doesn't represent "stepping up to the plate" in my eyes (it's a friggin' no-brainer) The NRA is what it's membership makes them. Those that raised cain and stepped up to the plate by writing the letters and stoking the flames under our NRA representative respective asses merit a lot of the credit here. The key is to keep up the pressure by keeping out eyes on the ball and ears to the floor, always.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:33:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
WooT! Now go the next step, prosecute those who took the guns - our "Heroes"

And especially prosecute the shithead or ORDERED the confiscations!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:34:26 AM EDT
I just signed up with the NRA today - my first time. I subscribed to the 5 year plan. If they continue to fight for our rights and gain traction with the new Supreme Court then I'll become of Life Member.

-Niel
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:34:58 AM EDT
I just re-joined the NRA in addition to my new GOA membership.

Gotta keep up the pressure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:36:38 AM EDT
NRA: Well done! This sets a precedent for future events.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:38:09 AM EDT
Guess I might renew after all. What about weapons taken? Returned, Reimbursed?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:39:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:45:45 AM EDT

Great news!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:45 AM EDT
This is truly great! I am going to get me a Life Memebership just because of this this!

Now, how about those poor folks collecting some good ol' Democrat style damage awards?

You know, mental anguish, public humiliation, suffering from fear of life, all that stuff commie lawyers love to hang on their "suit cases" they file for any reason.

No kidding, didn't I read on ARFCOM there was a severe $$$ penalty for violating someone's civil rights?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:48:56 AM EDT
AWESOME!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:03:54 PM EDT
<----------------

Who was talking shit about the NRA?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:05:02 PM EDT
Good job NRA! I'm glad I renewed a few months ago.

Now they need to go after the city officials and all of the LEOs/NG JBT that participated in this illegal gun grab and get them charged like the criminals they are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:09:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kill-9:
NRA: Well done! This sets a precedent for future events.

+1

Lets hope the anti gun Nazis in other city's will think twice before they try similar shit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:10:27 PM EDT
w00t!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top