Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/19/2004 4:03:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 2:20:44 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3858649

What is so funny is the Brady rep talking about banning high cap magazines when the bill they endorse (the Castle Bill) allows the mag ban to sunset! LMAO!

CRC

<Tried to fix link. --thebeekeeper1>
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:07:42 PM EST
linky no workie
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:08:50 PM EST
Then go the NPR site and look around.

I found the link on Google and it worked for me.

But I am a computer dunce.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:10:22 PM EST
Who cares, these people are kooks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:10:22 PM EST
It wont load, can you cut and paste a transcript for us?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:13:57 PM EST
It is all audio/radio.

Thanks Beekeep, maybe it works now?

I am not good with computers.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:18:44 PM EST
working now.

Armalite has only received 40 orders in 6 weeks? Guess folks are building their own.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:22:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:01:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 5:16:35 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:14:03 PM EST
Don of Don's Guns in Indy says that he is sitting in his shop looking at AK47s that shoot 30-50 times and 9mm Rifles that shoot 100 times (huh?). He put a sign up in his shop that congratulated Pres. Clinton in 94, because he thought that the law meant something.

Who the fuck is Don and how the fuck did he get an FFL and a voice on NPR?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:14:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 5:16:05 PM EST by SO-COM]
Well at least NPR did the right thing and didnt skew the story to the left OR the right. While it is refreshing to see articles from a far right perspective, they do nothing to influence people who are about the middle politically. Productions such as that NPR broadcast are what we want. The irrational fear that most people have of 'assault weapons' is because they don't think they exist right now, because of a law. Once they know they still exist, and are just as popular, the questio then riases that why has crimes commited with them so low? Which is what you want the mis-guided folks to wonder, since it puts a question into the emotion driven speaches given by Anti-Gun groups.

My 3&1/4 cents.

BTW: If Don is on such moral high ground, then maybe he shouldn't be 'looking at AK47's, right infront of him'.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:15:27 PM EST
If that gun store owner is against AK-s, AR's etc, WTF does he carry them?

I know he can make money at it, but if he so morally opposed, he needs to stop selling them, or STFU.

Also a little bit of the old "more thrusts per squeze" crap
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:30:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By chainshaw:
Don of Don's Guns in Indy says that he is sitting in his shop looking at AK47s that shoot 30-50 times and 9mm Rifles that shoot 100 times (huh?). He put a sign up in his shop that congratulated Pres. Clinton in 94, because he thought that the law meant something.

Calico
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:40:37 PM EST
Mmmm......forgot about the calico rifles.......

Wonder if anyone will start making them again. They were a neat idea, needed a little tweaking, but a very interesting idea.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:04:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

Wonder if anyone will start making them again. They were a neat idea, needed a little tweaking, but a very interesting idea.

Yeah, load them all day Saturday to shoot them all day Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:04:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

Yeah, load them all day Saturday to shoot them all day Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:11:51 PM EST
When the next terrorist attack occurs, there will be very few moderates. It will severly polarize the country, but the left will shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:15:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:16:53 AM EST
The program DOES have the typical skew. On one side you have a rep from an "advocacy" group. On the other side you have a gun mfg and a gun shop owner.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:38:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By ArmaLite:

He had us check to see if Don was a customer so we could fire him. He wasn't, so he's been blocked. Take a look at his web site. Strange.

Is this the page?

Nice ... freakin' parasite...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:49:08 AM EST

Don of Don's Guns in Indy says that he is sitting in his shop looking at AK47s that shoot 30-50 times

That reminds me to get a drum for my SAR-1.

G23c
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:09:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By JohnGalt:
The program DOES have the typical skew. On one side you have a rep from an "advocacy" group. On the other side you have a gun mfg and a gun shop owner.

Thats true.. Always painting the NRA as the sole advocate of gun rights. As if there isn't any majority of people behind them, making them look like a big evil corporation. Then you have the gun stores, who through discrimination laws can't make common sence refusals to sell a firearm to someone who looks suspicous. Making them look like they are making money off of criminals, regardless of the victims. The left put us in a shitty situation, and now most of them are blind to see how we got there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:19:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:33:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:36:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 10:40:45 AM EST by PAEBR332]
Don of Don's Guns fame is always good for an anti-gun quote. He has appeared in hundreds of articles and editorials. I think his sole purpose in life is to be the "gun dealer" who thinks "common sense gun control" is where it is at.

Maybe someone from Indiana has actually been in his shop? On his website he calls magazines "clips," and refers to the Beretta Storm and an Assault Rifle. What a pinhead.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:42:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 10:42:51 AM EST by 1776]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:42:17 AM EST

www.donsguns.com/images/don2.jpg

Starring Caesar Romero... as the The Joker.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:56:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Engineer:

He had us check to see if Don was a customer so we could fire him. He wasn't, so he's been blocked. Take a look at his web site. Strange.

Is this the page?

Col. Sanders sells guns??
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:05:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:08:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:

Originally Posted By Engineer:

Is this the page?

www.donsguns.com/images/don2.jpg

Col. Sanders sells guns??

This idiot makes comments like that on the radio and then brags on his website that unlike "other" dealers he has machineguns in his store for sale.

He makes absolutely no sense.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:10:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
wasn't DON on the FBI list of most sales unding up used in a violent crime awhile back?

Look over his shoulder in the pic: TEC9s, Hi-Points, etc. Not exactly guns for discriminating gun collectors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:10:22 AM EST

Don Davis needs a Nolan Ryan fastball to the face.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:11:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 11:15:40 AM EST by Engineer]

wasn't DON on the FBI list of most sales unding up used in a violent crime awhile back?

BINGO!

National gun-control group finds 14 'high-crime' dealers in Indiana
Associated Press

GARY, Ind. — Indiana has more gun stores that sell guns used in crimes than any other state, a new report by a gun-control advocacy group shows.

The Americans for Gun Safety Foundation report found that Indiana had 14 stores on its list of so-called "high crime gun dealers," a description that store owners disputed.

Gun dealers and some police officials called the Washington-based group's study misguided, saying many guns bought legitimately were later resold and then used in crimes.

The report released Monday used records from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for the years 1996 through 2000 to identify 120 stores across the country that sold one out of every seven guns recovered from a crime scene or that were suspicious for other reasons. The study's author, Jim Kessler, acknowledged there was nothing to indicate that the stores sold the guns illegally or knew they were selling to criminals.

Seven of the Indiana stores listed in the group's report are in Lake or Porter counties in northwestern Indiana, while the other seven are in the Indianapolis area.

The report ranked Don's Guns and Galleries in Indianapolis second in the nation, with 2,294 of its guns traced to crimes or suspicious activity between 1996 and 2000.

Don Davis, owner of Don's Guns & Galleries, said his stores do state and federal background checks on everyone who buys.

"If it's OK with the governor of this state and it's OK with President Bush, then what the hell can I do?" he said.

Once the weapons leave the store, they can be sold on the private market with no background check, and that is probably what happened to the guns that came from his shops, he said.

Law-enforcement officials agree.

"These numbers are no reflection on the gun dealers," Eric Ellis, resident agent-in-charge of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms office in Merrillville, told The Times of Munster. "A lot of local stores are in that report because of the 100 percent success our local police departments have achieved in tracing firearms."

Ellis said local gun dealers have never refused to cooperate with his investigations.

The report gives gun shops, like Westforth Sports of Gary, a bad rap, owner Earl Westforth said.

"It looks like I sold a bad guy a gun when I had nothing to do with it," he said. "Where we're located, yeah, some bad guys are going to get guns, but we do everything by the law, and if we go out of business, the bad guys are just going to move to the next store."

Kessler, of Americans for Gun Safety, said authorities were protecting gun stores from examination.

"Known high-crime dealers are being shielded from public scrutiny, rather than investigated by the government," Kessler said. "We are naming names and calling for a watch list because the citizens of Indiana have a right to know what stores are arming criminals in their community."

The group wants Congress and Attorney General John Ashcroft to put the 120 gun stores on a watch list.

Griffith Police Chief Karl Grimmer said that was going too far. He said that Griffith-based Blythe's Sport Shop is "very, very, very pro police and following the rules."

"What he cannot do is watch the gun after he has sold it to someone who meets all the standards," Grimmer said.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:16:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

Look over his shoulder in the pic: TEC9s, Hi-Points, etc. Not exactly guns for discriminating gun collectors.

Check out the gold plated TEC-9 behind his right shoulder.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:22:27 AM EST
The only thing Don's Guns is good at is makeing change for the crack dealers in the Lafayette Square parking lot.
I have been in his store a few times, talk about retail plus this is the place. He probably supplies most of the illeagle guns they find used in local crime.
Believe me he is a grade A a**hat and gives gun owners and dealers a bad name.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:30:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 11:31:13 AM EST by ScaryGuy]

Originally Posted By LoginName:

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

Check out the gold plated TEC-9 behind his right shoulder.

photoshop.superdownloads.net/uploads/dd.JPG

I was JUST about to point that out.

BLING!

This asshole looks like Archie Bunker and Col. Sanders had a bastard love child.

SG
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:01:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By ScaryGuy:
This asshole looks like Archie Bunker and Col. Sanders had a bastard love child.

OMG!! I was thinking the same thing!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:08:06 PM EST
Did none of you people see CampyBob's thread on Wednesday or Thursday???
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:07:48 PM EST
As a regular NPR listener, I always find stuff like this amusing. Here is my letter to Morning Edition:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 7:09 PM
To: 'morning@npr.org'
Subject: Assault Weapons Ban Piece on August 19, 2004.

I suppose I am an a-typical NPR listener. I am a Navy Veteran, a college student, under 30, and a gun owner. While I enjoy NPR greatly, sometimes your bias makes me laugh. I refer to the August 19th section of Morning Edition regarding the sunset of the Assault Weapons Ban. I find your use of Don of Don’s Guns as a spokesperson for the AWB particularly amusing, as a brief search with Google would have revealed that old Don was the nation’s second largest source of firearms connected to illegal activities between the years 1996 and 2000, according to BATF statistics. Guess Don was more concerned with making a buck then obeying the laws he was so proud to support. What ever happened to checking the credibility of your sources?

Regards,

John O. (JohnnyEgo)
Jacksonville, FL

PS: You guys never should have canned Bob Edwards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:14:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 2:27:43 PM EST by TheKill]

Prepare for a shitstorm. Various people have posted various things about this "Don" guy from "Don Guns" which IIRC is in Indy. NONE OF THEM GOOD!!!!

And the tradition continues!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:26:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:26:51 PM EST
I heard that piece.

I thought that it was unexpectedly fair for NPR.

I know some people out by Indy. They have nothing good to say about Don's.

They also have a female commentator who is on during some weekend show. I don't know her name or the name of the show, but she did a great piece about her gunsmith father and the blackpowder cannon he built. That's a piece that would make Michael Moore want a cannon!

That said, you can generally expect anti-gun outrage from that network.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:10:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By jblachly:
Did none of you people see CampyBob's thread on Wednesday or Thursday???

I didn't.

Link?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:11:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:
I heard that piece.

I thought that it was unexpectedly fair for NPR.

I know some people out by Indy. They have nothing good to say about Don's.

They also have a female commentator who is on during some weekend show. I don't know her name or the name of the show, but she did a great piece about her gunsmith father and the blackpowder cannon he built. That's a piece that would make Michael Moore want a cannon!

That said, you can generally expect anti-gun outrage from that network.

That was a radio piece from 'This American Life'. They did another good one on that same show about the two sides of the CCW debate. The pro CCW was a Texas woman who lobbied for CCW after she witnessed her parents being shot at a diner. The anti-CCW was a city policeman, possibly LA or Detroit, who was shot several times while in his cruiser. I wish I had taped it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:09:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By corwin1968:
I didn't.

Link?

I believe this is it: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=265979
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:54:25 PM EST
JohnnyEgo: "The pro CCW was a Texas woman who lobbied for CCW after she witnessed her parents being shot at a diner."

That was Dr. Susan Gracia, who later became a state representative, and DID get CCW passed in Texas.

She and her parents were eating in a Luby's Cafeteria, which is more than a few steps up from a diner, when a nutcase killed a bunch of people just days before an important vote in Congress (I think Brady Bill), and spurred passage of yet another BS gun law. For some reason he killed her parents and passed over her.

She told of having her pistol in her car, rather than her purse, as she was told she would be prosecuted for CCW if she were to carry. And she had more than a few chances to shoot the killer, IF she had her pistol. And her parents and many others might be alive today.

Yeah, ole Don is a favorite of the media, always there to say whatever they want him to say, and portrayed as a voice of "reasonable gun control".
Top Top