Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 10:50:55 AM EDT
I just installed Norton 2006 on a PC.   it recomends you to uninstall spybot search and destroy to complete the install.  

POS   i hate their  antivirus products  

just thought i'd share
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Norton stuff sucks.. I used to use it all the time because I would get free copies from work. I finally saw the light and ditched all that crap.

-d
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Norton stuff sucks.. I used to use it all the time because I would get free copies from work. I finally saw the light and ditched all that crap.

-d

Okay, and went to what? I'm interested in knowing because my Norton subscription expired a few weeks ago, and although I regulary run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Microsoft Anti-spyware, my online experience has slowed to a crawl. I know I need to do (or buy) something soon, so what's going to give me the best bang for the buck? I just received a 50% off coupon from Symantec in an email, but have been holding off on buying anything. What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I am using -   avast!  -   seems to work well.  As soon as I ran It, Norton popped up and said I had a virus and a trojan. My question is why did Norton wait till I ran another program to let on that there was a problem? I ditched Norton.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Okay, and went to what?

Trend Micro isn't too bad.  It's not the greatest, but it's also not overbloated with crap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
AVG is good and free.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]
at work.  i resell   panda titanium 2006.   its a great product.   panda

others are nod32   also comes with a dos scanner that WILL scan ntfs hardrives

commandondemand

avast  free for home users

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Okay, and went to what? I'm interested in knowing because my Norton subscription expired a few weeks ago, and although I regulary run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Microsoft Anti-spyware, my online experience has slowed to a crawl. I know I need to do (or buy) something soon, so what's going to give me the best bang for the buck? I just received a 50% off coupon from Symantec in an email, but have been holding off on buying anything. What would you suggest?

I use AVG for anti-virus... and occassionaly run Spybot or Adaware... other than those, that is all I do. A LOT of staying free of viruses and spyware is to be aware of the sites you are visiting. I'd stay away from Norton and even McAfee products. They try to do everything in one package (AV, anti-spyware, "security", etc.)... but they just tend to cost money (duh), take up resources and confuse computer users.

-d
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
i wish i would have kept my sheet about the service calls i went on last year.   i would say i went on at least 30-40 service calls because of norton internet security, and mcafee personal firewall.  

"I can't check my email,   I can't get on the internet.  it keeps telling me a firewall could be blocking it.    btw sir what is a firewall".  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

I use AVG for anti-virus... and occassionaly run Spybot or Adaware... other than those, that is all I do. A LOT of staying free of viruses and spyware is to be aware of the sites you are visiting. I'd stay away from Norton and even McAfee products. They try to do everything in one package (AV, anti-spyware, "security", etc.)... but they just tend to cost money (duh), take up resources and confuse computer users.

-d

Yup, I know that's really the key. My problem isn't the websites I frequent, but rather having a family PC used by young kids that spend time at so many of the "free games" kind of sites, cute cursor programs, etc. They've all been warned about downloading any of these programs, but I know frequent visits to such sites is doing a number on our computer.

Until I can afford to get another computer strictly for them, I have to find a way to handle these issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on NOD32

Awesome stuff. Very low impact as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

-d

Yup, I know that's really the key. My problem isn't the websites I frequent, but rather having a family PC used by young kids that spend time at so many of the "free games" kind of sites, cute cursor programs, etc. They've all been warned about downloading any of these programs, but I know frequent visits to such sites is doing a number on our computer.

Until I can afford to get another computer strictly for them, I have to find a way to handle these issues.

Create another profile for the kids, and restrict the ability to install programs on that profile. Might help with a little.

-d
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top