Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/30/2002 11:11:49 AM EST
Rant mode on.... The new rates go into affect tomorrow. My problem with it is they say the ecomony is slow and people are not mailing as much items. So we have to increase the postage to make up revenue. It seems to me that no matter what the state the ecomony is in the GOV will steal...I mean get their take no matter what. Back to ups. I'll also be setting all online accounts to make any payments I have so I don't have to use the PO. Any junk mail that comes to me I just put return to sender on it and let them deliver it again for free. Rick While I'm ranting...Everytime the GOV sticks its nose it to something they F&$@ it up. Take for instance good old Ma Bell. Everyone had a cheap phone bill....no stupid FCC fee's, line charge, and others. When the GOV stepped in they said Oh...you can't have a monopoly you'll have to be broken up. Thats ok because you'll have competion and cheaper rates. Gee that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:24:13 AM EST
Everyone should beware that the Priority Mail increase will be brutal!!! Any package over 1lb. will now be figured by zone so you can no longer give simple s/h prices! Insurance and other 'services' fees went up as well, I have plenty more gripes about this too but time is short and I'm in a lousy mood already!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:30:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:35:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kevin: Everyone should beware that the Priority Mail increase will be brutal!!! Any package over 1lb. will now be figured by zone so you can no longer give simple s/h prices! Insurance and other 'services' fees went up as well, I have plenty more gripes about this too but time is short and I'm in a lousy mood already!
View Quote
hmm no more flat rate 2lb. envelope then ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:36:02 AM EST
Don't worry, the damned UPS union might still manage to screw things up for you using UPS to ship packages too. They are still negotiating the new contract and it's still up in the air as to whether or not they are gonna strike. Fortunately the ecconomy might be slow enough so that both UPS and the union will come to a compromise sooner. But UPS ain't no bargin when it comes to shipping, they will just charge you more to break your stuff. FedEx might be able to position themselves for a larger share if UPS manages to screw up again this Jul/Aug.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:36:13 AM EST
How else do you expect them to pay for [URL=http://www.sptimes.com/2002/01/15/photos/tb-carriers.jpg] this! [/URL]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:36:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: ARs! You haven't seen the best of it. On top of the price increases and the crappy service, USPS SPONSORS the U.S. Bicycling team.
View Quote
They are one of the main sponsers of the USPS cycling team, but not the only one. With Lance Armstrong getting ready to defend his TdF title, it's one of the few good things that USPS has going for it, publicity wise that is. Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:45:58 AM EST
In case you didnt know, the USPS is NOT owned or operated by our government. It is a PRIVATELY held company with a CEO and board of directors. It's not even publicly traded. A lot of USPS employees are always pissed because they have to take government "bullshit" holidays off without pay! LOL The government did, AT ONE TIME, have its nose firmly up the USPSs' butt, but USPS is pretty much ALL private now. There may still be a few "Postal Inspectors" who are tied-in with the government, but they are few and far between. You can look at it this way, United States Postal Service has as much clout as United States Rubber or United States Steel. It's just a name.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:20:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kevin: Everyone should beware that the Priority Mail increase will be brutal!!! Any package over 1lb. will now be figured by zone so you can no longer give simple s/h prices! Insurance and other 'services' fees went up as well, I have plenty more gripes about this too but time is short and I'm in a lousy mood already!
View Quote
I have to agree, their prices are now rediculous. The whole priority mail thing is a scam, when it started it was like $2.00 for 2lbs for 2 days or something like that. Now you go in thinking $3.00 or so, no way $6 or $7 for prioirty mail for a small light package??? Unreal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:55:10 PM EST
View Quote
No flat rate regardless of destination in the US? This is really going to screw up those of us auctioning things on the net...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:55:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By shooter69: No flat rate regardless of destination in the US? This is really going to screw up those of us auctioning things on the net...
View Quote
1lb. or less is a flat $3.85, anything over and it'll depend on the zone. And yes, shooter69, this really screws the auction & e-commerce little 'guy'. If you want to get even more ticked you should see the [b]trivial[/b] difference between Priority and Parcel Post rates AND note that they'll zap you an extra dime if you use del. conf. on Parcel Post (.45 for Priority / .55 for Parcel).
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:00:06 PM EST
Here's the worst part - I still use USPS because they give me the best service on small shipping - beating UPS, FedEx, AND Airborne! I ship a lot of things 1# and under, and the "flat rate" idea rocks! I wish more companies could do something like that... I have also shipped a lot of electronics and prototypes - without damage, and without excessive packing! They have actually paid attention to the "Fragile" and "Magnetic fields" warnings I put on boxes, and everything has arrived just fine... The only things I can't ship USPS is anything ORM-D, and handguns as required. Not such a large loss - tho I get tired of being FORCED to pay Next Day Red for a 5# package! BTW, IIRC the USPS is actually set up as a modified Nonprofit corporation, designed to "break even" on a time basis. They are allowed to build up a surplus of assets for any lean times, but I don't see why we have to pay for Segways - I thought there were some physical condition standards for mailmen. I don't see what the Segway is actually going to do for ANYONE, but I am the same guy that LIKES to park at the far end of the lot when I go to the gym. Honestly, aren't you supposed to "cool down" after a workout? FFZ
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:06:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:13:20 PM EST
I doubt that the Segway will result in lowered costs - and won't the range of the thing become an issue? I don't remember it being all that much of a long-range idea, and it has limited capacity (I seem to recall that it won't carry much more than my 240# self...) You want to reduce costs? Get rid of deadwood. Don't cut service - that's what makes your money. Axe the middle managers and bu-shit-crats that don't do anything but shuffle paper and sop up revenue - that's the deadwood and the place to start pruning. Sorry = I forgot. That would make sense. Can't have that now, can't be logical. FFZ
Top Top