Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2013 5:06:05 AM EDT
can really see the impact with no ammo on my local rifle range. We have a great rifle range with trap shooting here in Kewaunee County WI and NO ONE HAS BEEN SHOOTING RIFLES , JUST SHOTGUNS. The rifle range has been bare for weeks.

I am afraid his ammo thing could be the start of the end for target shooting. I have talked to guys and the shooters that have ammo don't want to use it. I had the range to my self last weekend for a while. marty
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.  The woman and I would like a quiet range day tomorrow on her day off.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have noticed this at my outdoor range.  A whole lot less people and I'm not complaining.  I'm stocked up to load my own stuff for a long time to come so the shortage dos not affect me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Ammo shortages suck, But hey, at least ammo is showing up again in a long time in some places
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not been shooting no where near as much as I was before ammo prices went stupid.  I will start back when things get better.  Until then I will indulge in other hobbies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, are you by chance talking about "the swamp?"

ETA: If you are, it should sound like WW III currently.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish it was the same at my range.  It seems to be more crowded lately.  Not just .22 shooters either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered enough powder to keep me busy for a while, hopefully the ranges will still be slow by the time I get there. Police here in CA are practicing with Airsoft because of the shortages...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I belong to a club, but went to a state range last weekend, there were only 2 other people there.  It is normally packed.  The weather was slightly less than desirable though.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It seems to be more crowded lately.  Not just .22 shooters either.

Our range too.  Busier than ever with record numbers of new shooters.  As in 400+ new shooters in a month, and increasing by 5-10% every month.

I took my wife shooting on Tuesday at noon.  There were over 30 shooting positions occupied.  There were even a few guys dumping mags for a good spell.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#11]
yen and yang
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Same here, my range got so busy to the point i would nt even shoot (just before the panic). I went last week to zero my new rifle & the place was empty i didnt mind it though. good thing ive managed to stock up a decent amount of ammo. i can never have enough though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
People stop using ranges, and they will close before too long.  Public or private, can't justify having them if no one uses them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
See the same thing at the local range.
Time was you couldn't hardly get a lane on the weekends. Now its a ghost town.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You using suppressors?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I spent a range day on Tuesday,

Took my chainsaw and cut trees all day.  

We are trying to expand the range.

Maybe if we expand, ammo will return.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Indoor pistol ranges are still packed to the gills around here.  My outdoor range is flooded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]
New shooters not finding ammo, old shooters not depleting stash.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
My range has been strangely busier since this ammo shortage started. I have no explanation as to why, either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like a great time to be mining the range for lead and copper
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Fishin' is starting up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Went to the local TWRA range last week. There were just a few guys  there. I was sighting in 2 new AR twist togethers.
They were all pistol shooters.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
can really see the impact with no ammo on my local rifle range. We have a great rifle range with trap shooting here in Kewaunee County WI and NO ONE HAS BEEN SHOOTING RIFLES , JUST SHOTGUNS. The rifle range has been bare for weeks.

I am afraid his ammo thing could be the start of the end for target shooting. I have talked to guys and the shooters that have ammo don't want to use it. I had the range to my self last weekend for a while. marty

Which range? I work in Kewaunee County, and I have rifle ammo to shoot
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Went last weekend. Quite a few people. Seemed like a normal Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That and some old shooters like me are AVOIDING public ranges.

There have been how many threads about scary incidents at public ranges due to the volume of new shooters who can be careless.

I've cultivated three new private places to shoot this month.
That's not by accident.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#26]
It's great. I have ammo and now I don't have to worry about some fucking nimrod shooting me in the back while fucking with his gun when I'm downrange changing a target!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#30]
There's plenty of ammo out there, everyone is just saving it for the second American revolution.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When did 1Andy2 get a job?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ammo shortages suck, But hey, at least ammo is showing up again in a long time in some places

Just imagine what will happen when EOs go out to end the import of 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm and 5.56mm ammunition (likely among others).  

At least the latter two are made here (at a price).  5.45?  Good luck with that one.

They will probably still let you buy imported  .22 LR and shotgun shells though (for now).

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sounds like a great time to be mining the range for lead and copper

I am sure there are ways to regulate lead and shut down ranges as "hazardous waste sites" without passing anything in congress.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been how many threads about scary incidents at public ranges due to the volume of new shooters who can be careless.

That's not by accident.

THIS!!!!!!

Went to an indoor range yesterday in Hudson WI, Bill's gun range at about 10:00 AM, and met an interesting chap. He was carrying a marpat bag with name tapes and ISAF velcroed on and a very taciticool range bag. I naturally assumed military. Who else is going to rock a ISAF patch?

I heard him doing double tap drills on the far end, but his shots were going literally everywhere. Like near into the ceiling everywhere. I ambled down and saw that he was shooting an M4 with the stock collapsed all the way and a Magpul flip up rear sight that was folded down.

He was putting the front sight on the target with a significantly shortened rifle and letting fly. I'm actually surprised that he had hits on paper.

I politely asked him why he was doing that, and showed him that if he extended the stock and flipped up the rear sight, he would do a lot better, and extended the stock for him. He couldn't figure out how to hold the rifle after that and put the stock under his armpit.

He got miffed and then asked how I got the stock to move, wanted it put back to fully collapsed, and flipped the rear sight back down, said, "yeah, thanks buddy" as if I were wrong, and promptly put two more rounds into the ceiling at the end of the range.

If someone reading this is that guy, seriously, fuck you. You're the shitstain we as shooters talk about in retarded tones with one eye squinty and our mouths hanging agape. You're dangerous to not only our personal health, but that of the shooting sports at large. Sell your piece of shit rifle and go back to Call Of Duty before you hurt someone or yourself.

In the last six months, every single time I go to a public range there are always fucknuts there doing something unbelievably stupid.

ETA: also there is a female working there, the taller one with the librarian look going on that is significantly hot. One of these days, I'm going to walk in there and say something profound to her. Something like, " huh huh... You're pretty..."

She'll totally be mine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Funny, you commie lover .  Projecting because your favorite twink got married to a woman recently?  Before you could convert him .

How about asking 1Andy2 himself?  IIRC, his back yard is his range.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Funny, you commie lover .  Projecting because your favorite twink got married to a woman recently?  Before you could convert him .

Is his back yard open to you as well?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#38]
could be the weather. Its really just starting getting warm. Everyone is probably working on other outdoor projects. I know I have a boat load.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I went Tuesday and shot 300 winmag, .223 and 45acp.  There were only a few others there, but that's not abnormal for a weekday.

I have to admit that the brass rats have the place cleaned up like I've never seen before though.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=50775

That is a sweet setup dude.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Going to a public range in NY seems to be inviting the State Police into your life now days?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#41]
My range has groups of guys that bring chairs and one guy shoots while 5 guys talk for two hours.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Is his back yard open to you as well?

TRG

Oh, I see where this is going .  Alternate twink in your bevy of some young guys ?  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not by accident.

THIS!!!!!!
. . .
He got miffed and then asked how I got the stock to move, wanted it put back to fully collapsed, and flipped the rear sight back down, said, "yeah, thanks buddy" as if I were wrong, and promptly put two more rounds into the ceiling at the end of the range.

If someone reading this is that guy, seriously, fuck you. You're the shitstain we as shooters talk about in retarded tones with one eye squinty and our mouths hanging agape. You're dangerous to not only our personal health, but that of the shooting sports at large. Sell your piece of shit rifle and go back to Call Of Duty before you hurt someone or yourself.

In the last six months, every single time I go to a public range there are always fucknuts there doing something unbelievably stupid.
. . ..

Unbelievable?  NO - it is actually VERY COMMON to run accross gun owners who are this ignorant/stupid with their guns.  Anyone who doubts this simply need to WORK at a public indoor range - even for a few weeks.  You will see incredibly stupid and unsafe behavior on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I went Tuesday and shot 300 winmag, .223 and 45acp.  There were only a few others there, but that's not abnormal for a weekday.

I have to admit that the brass rats have the place cleaned up like I've never seen before though.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=50775

nice range  

very!

Aimless as far as your club being down 50%  i wonder if that is a normal lag on getting your dues in.  Our club ends on the calendar year and half the renewals come in in April and May when the snow finally melts.  The majority are deer rifle sighter in ers.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not by accident.

THIS!!!!!!

Went to an indoor range yesterday in Hudson WI, Bill's gun range at about 10:00 AM, and met an interesting chap. He was carrying a marpat bag with name tapes and ISAF velcroed on and a very taciticool range bag. I naturally assumed military. Who else is going to rock a ISAF patch?

I heard him doing double tap drills on the far end, but his shots were going literally everywhere. Like near into the ceiling everywhere. I ambled down and saw that he was shooting an M4 with the stock collapsed all the way and a Magpul flip up rear sight that was folded down.

He was putting the front sight on the target with a significantly shortened rifle and letting fly. I'm actually surprised that he had hits on paper.

I politely asked him why he was doing that, and showed him that if he extended the stock and flipped up the rear sight, he would do a lot better, and extended the stock for him. He couldn't figure out how to hold the rifle after that and put the stock under his armpit.

ETA: also there is a female working there, the taller one with the librarian look going on that is significantly hot. One of these days, I'm going to walk in there and say something profound to her. Something like, " huh huh... You're pretty..."

She'll totally be mine.

Most indoor ranges would toss a guy hitting the ceiling repeatedly.  hey A hole the armor backstop is over there!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There is no shortage. Its simply tons of stupid people who will willingly buy over priced ammo in large quantities.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no shortage. Its simply tons of stupid people who will willingly buy over priced ammo in large quantities.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I think everyone at my range is a reloader, even though the range says no reloads they don't check or seem to care when you pull out a plastic box full of reloads. Nearly all the shooters pick up their brass. The last time I went there was a guy shooting LC brass, and wasn't picking them up. After he left I picked them up for him. Score!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Ours is just the opposite. Range has been FULL but we cant figure out where they getting amo from. Store shelves are empty.  Mail orders for ammo here is nuts!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#50]
The range I a member of has for the first time in the 10 years I have been a member capped the membership. I think they capped it at 1500? or somewhere around there. I try to go during the week so I dont have to deal with the crowds.

What has gotten annoying is all of the new Tier 1 range officers who want me to flash my membership badge on the scanner every 10 minutes. Just because you are new doesnt mean I am.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top