Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 3:43:01 PM EDT
Which do you like, and why?  Which one most user friendly?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

McAfee - check as I now believe they have versions that run from their own servers and are up-graded by McAfee.
I believe McAfee now owns Norton (?) and uses that product as a sort of second tier offering.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Norton. easier to use, easier to keep up with pattern updates.

Mcafee and Norton are separate companies.

I've seen more issues with Mcafee compatability and system problems than with Norton.

web-based virus scans of your systems (from Mcafee website) tell you right off they are limited, and nothing beats a local run scan regardless of the scanner.

regardless, it can come sown to preference, just use one and update the patterns a minimum of once a week.

Nothing is funnier in my shop is the customer who wants to know WHY they got a virus and they haven't updated their pattens since  they got the computer 2-3 years ago.  And we charge them nicely to clean or reformat their systems.
No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Norton!!!!!!

We ran McAfee at work untill ALL 1500 COPIES OF IT CRAPPED OUT ALL AT ONCE. BSD's everywhere!

I almost lost my job. Techs and I were here all hours trying to fix that one.

Switched to Norton, and everything has been smooth like butter. Even uses up less system resources than McAfee.

And, no, McAfee never did figure out what went wrong. We were using McAfee 4.5 for Academic, I think the latest version is 4.5.1. Mix of Win 95, 98, 98SE.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used Norton, Macafee, CA InnocuLAN, and Trend Micro.

Norton seems to work the best and is the most sys admin friendly.

However, the new Reeezak virus alert today by CA indicated that once again the Computer Associates geeks are ahead of the game. Macafee only has it rated a low-medium risk and at 5:30, Symantec and Trend Micro still hadn't rated it. We have Trend on the network at my office and I am hoping that they get it going and include the pattern file in the nightly push before some moron opens the christmas.exe attachment in the morning.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I had been using a  Norton product which I liked, then switched to another Norton product, that has some "issues" that weren't there previously.  Went to their support site, they want to deal with issues via self help searches, etc.  No email address, no phone numbers, just fumble around and hope you find the solution!  You could spend an entire day plowing through their support site, 'cause they keep dumping you back to the beginning to perform a "new search".  Finally found a phone #, called them on my own nickle, they shuffled me off to their 800 customer service number.  Thought I was home free.  NO!!!!  Phone customer service is a fee service.  All this on a NEW product!
Seems the least they could do is offer email support.  JMHO.
Rant off!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Norton seems to catch more.
I have no problem executing virus, I do it on purpose, because I know Norton will catch it.[}:D]  

At my work we had a programmer that would not give up Mcafee, until he had to fdisk 2 times. We all got the same virus, but we had Norton.

SSD [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

McAfee - check as I now believe they have versions that run from their own servers and are up-graded by McAfee.
I believe McAfee now owns Norton (?) and uses that product as a sort of second tier offering.
View Quote

Norton AV is owned by [url]http://www.symantec.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The machine I am on now has Norton, but my work laptop has Mcafee.  I like McAfee better, even though Norton seems to give better protection.  Sometimes Norton seems to be doing stuff in the background and not telling me.  Also, Norton always wants to do something with the virus.  Usually, I just want to ignore it until I have time to go to the website and read up on it, but Norton won't just keep ignoring. It finds the virus again and again and keeps prompting me while I am trying to work.    
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I (and the companies I've worked for) have tried several antivirus packages. I have DSL installed on my machine, so invested in Symantec Internet Security (this is the company that publishes Norton AV.)  The package includes Norton AV, Firewall and Web site screening for families.  It does automatic updates beautifully.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST MONEY I'VE EVER SPENT ON SOFTWARE - PERIOD.

Just last week I stupidly ran an e-mail screensaver and promptly got a case of Wintel virus.  Norton detected it, cleaned what it could, sent me to the Symantec Web page where I got a free utility to clean the rest.  Worked fabulously.

When you get an antivirus package, you're also getting a service to keep your definitions up-to-date.  Don't screw around, don't nickle and dime.  Get the best: Norton.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Norton.

McAffe does occationally catch some viruses before Norton does, but that is rare and I have not had the same pains I have had in the past updating McAffe's definitions. Norton offers a virtually idiot-proof update file that will update the definitions on any of their products with a single file download (it is a 4-5MB file, however) Norton's auto-protect has saved my bacon several times.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an IT friend that swears by Norton's.  I use McAfee's because it was free to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I use McAfee online but recently my work computer became infected with the SirCam virus and McAfee would not eliminate the virus. I had to go to the Norton site and download their free software to get rid of it. I might change after my one-year subscription to McAfee runs out but the store that made my computer insists that McAfee is better. Not in this case!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Go check [url]http://www.boran.com/security/sp/pf/pf_main20001023.html[/url]

Designed for geeks at home and sys admins, but they test a lot of the more common firewall software for home PC's.

If you have DSL, cable, or any other "always on" connection you need a good virus scanner and a personal firewall.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top