Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2018 7:52:34 PM EDT
So I visited NOLA and I sort of like LA in general.  I filled out some information for the recruiting at NOPD, and they want me to arrange to go for 3 days for the civil service exam and interview.  My wife says I'm crazy.  For some reason I think it would be a cool gig.  What's it like working for NOPD?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You better like driving Smart Cars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We had a NOPD guy around here. Don't think he's posted in awhile. Can't remember his screen name off the top of my head but it's long.

I spent 2 weeks in NO for a military conference a number of years ago. I wouldn't live there. The food was very good though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont live there but they dont have the best reputation for integrity.... the city isnt very supportive and can be intensely urban culturally.

Public schools are a mess too so factor in private education costs.

Food is good and it is a sportsman paradise statewise. Just remember 98% of everything there is trying to kill you or live off of you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Self Described "Chocolate City"

You couldn't pay me enough

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably better off going with Jefferson Parish or Gretna PD if you can.  Gretna is one of the best areas in Jefferson Parish with the best PD in that area.  Probably harder to get into Gretna PD I would imagine.  Unless you really want downtown NOLA work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Im from southern Louisiana and love it back home. However, you couldnt pay me enough to work for NOPD. If you like the atmosphere of LA, find you a different parish and just travel to New Orleans.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife says I'm crazy.
View Quote
Your wife is correct, you are crazy. The southeast pays for shit and with NOPD still under consent decree things won’t get better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
@scotchymcdrinkerbean

ETA: OP is nuts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@scotchymcdrinkerbean

View Quote
Well, that would help if he wants to work here...……..

1,570 days to go (counting off days.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@scotchymcdrinkerbean

Soooo that's a "No"?

ETA: How the hell do you have that much time left? Thought you got hired years before I did.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I travel often for work and have worked a lot in NO.  The food is very good and the atmosphere can be intoxicating, but that's about it.  All of my co-workers who are from that area same the same thing that the schools suck really bad and private school or home schooling are the only options.  Also, I been on the street level and have seen ships moving along whose water lines were higher than the spot I was.  That would wear on me to no end.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
nope nope nope nope nope nope nope....

id rather go to baltimore or chicago
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I visited NOLA and I sort of like LA in general.  I filled out some information for the recruiting at NOPD, and they want me to arrange to go for 3 days for the civil service exam and interview.  My wife says I'm crazy.  For some reason I think it would be a cool gig.  What's it like working for NOPD?
View Quote
PM for more.  I worked there for 3.5 years.  Still have a lot of buddies on there or retired from there.  It's not what it appears to be.  Be warned.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

PM for more.  I worked there for 3.5 years.  Still have a lot of buddies on there or retired from there.  It's not what it appears to be. Be warned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM for more.  I worked there for 3.5 years.  Still have a lot of buddies on there or retired from there.  It's not what it appears to be. Be warned.
From everything scotchy's posted over the years it appears to be a horrible place to work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

From everything scotchy's posted over the years it appears to be a horrible place to work.
View Quote
That's fairly accurate.   There are some upsides, but very few..
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the displeasure of being sent to New Orleans on detail during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. There's a lot of corruption with that department. We saw the Mayor (Nagin) and his corrupt Police Chief who was driving a brand new Cadillac SUV that was so new it didn't have any license plates. Gee, I wonder how it got it? Also saw a parked NOL police squad car that was parked outside of a closed strip shopping mall. The back seat was full of bags of items like someone had been shopping for Christmas. Problem was, the stores were all closed and had been because of the hurricane. Never saw the cop, it was late at night and we got the impression that he/she was probably hiding in one of the blacked out stores watching us. We went on about our duties.

Nagin is in the federal pen now. I don't know what happened with his crooked chief of police. A number of NOL police officers were convicted of federal crimes in connection with their activities during hurricane Katrina. And NOL has a long and seamly history of police and city political corruption. And that doesn't even factor in the extremely violent nature of the vermin that reside in NOL. Read about the horror stories of what these vermin did to their neighbors who were housed in the Astrodome after the hurricane. During the restoration of power to NOL there were incidents of snipers shooting at the power company employees working to restore power. I've been to NOL twice on business and have no intentions of ever returning.

Link to chocolate mayor

Link to Officer Frank
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had the displeasure of being sent to New Orleans on detail during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. There's a lot of corruption with that department. We saw the Mayor (Nagin) and his corrupt Police Chief who was driving a brand new Cadillac SUV that was so new it didn't have any license plates. Gee, I wonder how it got it? Also saw a parked NOL police squad car that was parked outside of a closed strip shopping mall. The back seat was full of bags of items like someone had been shopping for Christmas. Problem was, the stores were all closed and had been because of the hurricane. Never saw the cop, it was late at night and we got the impression that he/she was probably hiding in one of the blacked out stores watching us. We went on about our duties.

Nagin is in the federal pen now. I don't know what happened with his crooked chief of police. A number of NOL police officers were convicted of federal crimes in connection with their activities during hurricane Katrina. And NOL has a long and seamly history of police and city political corruption. And that doesn't even factor in the extremely violent nature of the vermin that reside in NOL. Read about the horror stories of what these vermin did to their neighbors who were housed in the Astrodome after the hurricane. During the restoration of power to NOL there were incidents of snipers shooting at the power company employees working to restore power. I've been to NOL twice on business and have no intentions of ever returning.

Link to chocolate mayor

Link to Officer Frank
View Quote
Two things: Antoinette Frank is OLD news.   Secondly, the dome in New Orleans is called the SUPERDOME.  Astrodome is/was in Houston.  There are a lot of issues with NOPD, however if one is dead on set to work for them, you make it what you make it.   I used it as a stepping stone to the feds.   Was a tortuous 3.5 years however the skills developed were far and above what most departments would ever be able to deliver.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, you are out of your mind... and I’m from New Orleans.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Op,
I worked closely along side NOPD during Katrina.
I could give you the long version of  not just: NO, but Hell NO, but I'll spare you the details.
Even as a fellow LEO there, we were warned not to stray to close to the fenceline with members of that dept. I saw enough with my own eyes to not take that warning lightly.
Find a nice, quiet dept someplace far from NOLA and apply, you'll thank us later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, they've contacted me again but I'm not going
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Non LEO here.

Put down your ten foot pole and quietly skulk away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top