Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2010 3:36:47 AM EDT
TRENTON — Richard Draughn says telling the truth on job applications almost assures he won’t be hired because he checks the "yes" box when asked if he’s ever been convicted. He hasn’t heard back from the last 30 employers he’s applied to for jobs.

"I want to check ‘no’" said Draughn, 34, of Jersey City, who was released two years ago after spending 10 years in prison for selling cocaine and heroin. "But I know later on it could come back to hurt me."

State Sen. Sandra Cunningham (D-Hudson) wants to help people like Draughn by encouraging local governments to do business with companies that hire former prisoners.

Cunningham’s bill (S2556), which was approved 7-4 by the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee mostly along party lines, would permit counties and municipalities to set aside a percentage of their public contracts for companies that employ former prisoners.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/nj_sen_cunningham_proposes_bil.html

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Another protected class
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Another protected class

Seriously.  Woman owned companies, minority owned companies, disabled owned companies, veteran owned companies, small businesses, etc.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Another protected class

Seriously.  Woman owned companies, minority owned companies, disabled owned companies, veteran owned companies, small businesses, etc.

Do people even realize the amount of money that is added to the cost of thier goods by using HUBzoned or SBO, woman owned or the others?

In order to compete for government contracts compaines have to have all of these checks in the box. You know how they do it? Buy through distributors or third parties,  not only are you adding on average an 8% increase in cost per level you also have a Quality Control nightmare when you try to trace parts back to the MFR.

And don't think that the multiple 8% cost increases are not passed on to the government who inturn takes more of your money to cover teh contract.

All of the SBO Disabled women minority hubzone bullshit is essentially welfare on the corporate level.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a little unfortunate in that the guy served his time, he should be able to come out and go straight.

What this situation does, by making it harder to get an honest job, is only serve to increase the recidivism rate.

On the other hand, there is the reality.

Our justice system is a joke lacking any real punishment, and it's a revolving door with high recidivism.

It would be hard for me to overlook someone being a felon.

It would be impossible for me to overlook a sex offender.

Yet having said all that, how are these guys supposed to support themselves? I don't have an answer there.

And I don't like the protected class shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a little unfortunate in that the guy served his time, he should be able to come out and go straight.
What this situation does, by making it harder to get an honest job, is only serve to increase the recidivism rate.

Our justice system is a joke lacking any real punishment, and it's a revolving door with high recidivism.

Yet having said all that, how are these guys supposed to support themselves? I don't have an answer there.

I feel certain that if we got rid of the illegals, ex-prisoners could fill some of the jobs they currently do.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I feel certain that if we got rid of the illegals, ex-prisoners could fill some of the jobs they currently do.

Now that's not really a bad idea at all.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
another fine libtard idea
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TRENTON — Richard Draughn says telling the truth on job applications almost assures he won’t be hired because he checks the "yes" box when asked if he’s ever been convicted. He hasn’t heard back from the last 30 employers he’s applied to for jobs.

"I want to check ‘no’" said Draughn, 34, of Jersey City, who was released two years ago after spending 10 years in prison for selling cocaine and heroin. "But I know later on it could come back to hurt me."

State Sen. Sandra Cunningham (D-Hudson) wants to help people like Draughn by encouraging local governments to do business with companies that hire former prisoners.

Cunningham’s bill (S2556), which was approved 7-4 by the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee mostly along party lines, would permit counties and municipalities to set aside a percentage of their public contracts for companies that employ former prisoners.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/nj_sen_cunningham_proposes_bil.html

Selling coke and heroin, should have been executed IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably would have a lot less felons too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top