Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2010 6:50:03 PM EDT
I picked it up on the cheap, and it needs some TLC to the nickle finish.  What do I need to do?

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Have it replated. There really isn't any other option.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know but I would shoot the shit out of it as is. I don't need a purdy gun
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Plating has worn through ,either replate or shoot the shit out of it and don't worry about the finish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
you might try some Flitz but yeah looks like it is beyond help

duracoat it
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I spent some time researching this today and found a good method, which I used on half of the gun.

Flitz will make a mirror finish. It takes some time and the nickel finish is reportedly very thin. I could care less, as the shiny look is better than the multicolored fading nickel. If the nickle is peeling, you are screwed!
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
All metal polishes are abrasive.
Any polishing of an already degraded nickel finish will only thin it more and degrade it further.

Best option:  Use a cleaner to clean it off then apply a coat of a good wax.  Good cleaners are lubes like CLP Breakfree, or solvents like lacquer thinner.  NO BORE SOLVENT.  These can further damage the finish if you allow them to soak for long.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

All metal polishes are abrasive.

Any polishing of an already degraded nickel finish will only thin it more and degrade it further.

Best option:  Use a cleaner to clean it off then apply a coat of a good wax.  Good cleaners are lubes like CLP Breakfree, or solvents like lacquer thinner.  NO BORE SOLVENT.  These can further damage the finish if you allow them to soak for long.

Yep.

Anything with ammonia will destroy nickel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top