Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2002 3:06:18 PM EDT
Finally picked up my Serbu BFG-50 today !

Hours later when I got home I noticed that my local gunshop had left a message on my machine.  He informed me that they let me go before the NICS was complete.  Then mentioned something about that NICS had told the gunshop that the manufacturer of my rifle was not on their NICS list and they needed more info.  I had not been turned down but they were not sure about the manufacturer of my rifle.

I called the gentleman and answered his questions.  He has always been couteous and helpful whenever I am in the gunshop.

We will see what happens...

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I was under the impression that NICS only wanted to know if it was a long-gun or handgun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
WaffenSS,
Just curious...what does your board name mean?

Just in case...ibtl,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Something doesn't smell right - when a call is made to NICS, the only info given about the firearm is whether it is a handgun or long gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
When I bought my FMP HK91 clone they wanted the serial number from the reciever. Isn't that normal?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
WafenSS, Please check your IM ! [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
ALL THEY NEED IS LONG GUN OR PISTOL!!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WaffenSS,
Just curious...what does your board name mean?

Just in case...ibtl,
View Quote

Naked-gunman, I am a scholar of history and the years of 1939-1945 interest me, hence my name.

Why do you feel that this thread will be locked? Because of my name?

Edited to add that I am NOT a nazi supporter or sympathizer. I am sorry some find a simple word offensive.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wanted to see if anyone else picked up on that as well....    I could think of no reason why they have a list of weapons unless they are creating a database of sorts...  
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Does TN have a law that says if the NICS doesn't come back on you, you get the firearm anyway. I remember something like this in Baltimore or something a few years ago. They showed on the news when a person fills out the forms for a purchase, he will go through a background check by the state and if the background check doesn't come through within a few days, you get the firearm no questions asked. Is this true?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
ya, they have like 36 hours to deny you. If not its yurs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. In Tennessee if they can't clear you in 72 hours (or was it 48?) you are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Waffen,
Just curious...your first post and it's WaffenSS. Just seems a little odd. We never know who will show up here with various "views".

I'm sure the mods will ask what your name means also...not a big deal.

My first board name was Arab-Season. I had to change it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
WELCOME TO SERBU COUNTRY,PLEASE STRAP YOUR SELF IN!WHAT KIND OF SCOPE ARE YOU GOING TO USE?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure yet....  one with a good warranty =)

I have been saving up for a Leopy 3.5x10 Vari-XIII for my Winchester Stealth.  Been thinking of trying to get two scopes but havent made a decision yet...

I have seen your posts in the .50cal discussion.  You just recently got your Serbu, right ?

What are scope you using ?

PS:  Why do you always type in ALL CAPS =P
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Waffen,
Just curious...your first post and it's WaffenSS. Just seems a little odd. We never know who will show up here with various "views".

I'm sure the mods will ask what your name means also...not a big deal.

My first board name was Arab-Season. I had to change it.

View Quote

Naked-Gun, no chance at being asked what it meant. Just a stern "change your name" IM from Rbad. I've been here since the old board and for undisclosed reseasons have not been around for a year. Since I am now aroud more frequently I chose a name that interested me. I did not think it was that big of a deal, I guess it was.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
NICS?  Ya'll need to live in a state that allows you to bypass that with a simple handgun permit...
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to the 1/2 inch club. Hope I get to see it at the next GSFS. Did you get a low S/N like you were after?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep !  Thats the one =)

Its got the AR-50 brake on it.  Cant wait to see how well the brake works on a Serbu.

Oh yeah, I blamed you totally for my new addiction when my wife confronted me about the rifle =P  
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#19]
1GUNRUNNER and I were just talking over dinner about the NICS check.  I told him in the past that they called in my specific rifles after being asked, while he has only had to tell them "shotgun, rifle, pistol."

I think there are violations of the checks going on right now.  I'm also curious why they even need to know whether its a shotgun, pistol or rifle!
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, the NICS gets ALL of the info on the 4473: mfgr, model, caliber & serial #. Allegedly this is to check against a "hot gun" sheet. So a gun stolen in TN & turns up in a trade in AZ may be recovered. Theoretically.

NICS has a long list of all mfgrs & their acronyms such as "BER" for Beretta & so on. No surprise they may not have had one for a new or obscure mfgr. Kinda strange though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Still, I want to know what it matters that your gun's mfg is not on the NICS list?  They are just supposed to make sure you, the buyer are not a criminal.  They are NOT supposed to be forming a registration list.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top