Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2002 11:22:49 PM EDT
I went to my local dealer today and bought myself a new pistol, to my surprise I got a delayed response from NICS!  I have purchased well over 40+ firearms since this law went into effect, and this was the first time I got delayed.  On my way home the dealer called me and said it was OK to pick up the pistol.  

Any ideas why?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
25% of the gun buying population is delayed.  That being said the system could have had a glitch while your transaction was taking place prompting an automated delay.  40+ firearms since late '98; why don't you come to my store?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been delayed twice that I can remember. It was hell too!

Oh, now don't feel so bad for me. My lawyer was flat out denied!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Chief of Police denied once.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Since NICS took effect I have been delayed on every handgun purchase except one, but never on a long gun.  Coincidence?-TR
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
25% of the gun buying population is delayed.  That being said the system could have had a glitch while your transaction was taking place prompting an automated delay.  40+ firearms since late '98; why don't you come to my store?
View Quote

Sure!  Where are you located?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
As the others say, a more common name are sometimes more likely to be delayed. Here in TN an out-of-state birth & using a DL instead of a CCW almost guarantees a delay.
Use your CCW, if you have one, instead of a DL & see if that doesn't make it go away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Every time.  Normally a couple of hours.
It's really aggravating at a gun show.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I am ALWAYS delayed!  From 15min to a day.  Just never know.

I understand there is no appeal from delays to get things cleared up.  The system should update EVERYONES status after a check, good or bad, in order to move things along.  But that is not the goal is it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I get delayed every time. The only reason I can come up with is when the background check was done thru FBI for my current job there was a record of it. That might raise a flag with the feds. I fill out the paperwork and go get a coke, by the time I get back I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#11]
NICS? Delayed? What's that?

I [b]love[/b] my CHL. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
About every third purchase, NICS mistakes me for a middle aged petty thief from Northern Louisiana by the same name. I can tell by the look on the FFL's face when he sees I'm obviously not over 45-50.

[img]http://www.spearweasel.com/images/ahead.jpg[/img]
Me.

[img]http://www.somethingawful.com/cliff/ihateyou/page4-02.jpg[/img]
Not me.

G*ddamned NICS.... I want my CCL!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Ever since I refused to provide the "optional" Social Security Number, I've been delayed every time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
A better question would be, who hasn't been delayed?z
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I was delayed the last two times... Ends up my request was flagged because I entered my current weigth which is 10lbs less than the weight on my drivers license.  

Enter everything as it is on your DL!!!

Got okayed the next day after a manual review.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I provide my social security number, hold an Oklahoma issued CCW, hold a Federal Curio and Relics license and have copies of my NICS file showing there's nothing there and I'm held-up EVERY time.

Often no response is ever given - the limit times-out and I pick-up my gun.

(Obviously I'm never rejected - just delayed each time.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#17]
What about VA members. How you had any long waits?

Virginia State Police runs the check in here and i have never had a problem.

Just Lucky so far I guess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to be delayed every time- usually I'd just hang around for an hour or so, and they'd call back.  Like I hate having to browse around in a gun shop for an extra hour.
The last two purchases I made, sailed right through.
Dealer said it's probably someone with a similar name.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Never been delayed.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Never been delayed...now that I say this watch my next purchase get held up for some reason.  Heck, I don't enter the info as it is on my drivers license.  I have a diff. address, and my weight is diff.  I probably put down a diff. weight each time.

medcop
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I provide my social security number, hold an Oklahoma issued CCW, hold a Federal Curio and Relics license and have copies of my NICS file showing there's nothing there and I'm held-up EVERY time.

View Quote

I thought with a CCW you didn't have to do the check??
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm delayed everytime, long gun or pistol.  Always get approved the next day.

I just plan for it now.

Gee, if I'm delayed, that means I can cool down, and only use the 2 or 3 firearms I already own.

I guess I need to look at is a a way to save money.

Rat Bastards.

WL
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought with a CCW you didn't have to do the check??
View Quote

I think it has to do with what year you got you're CCW. But for us Wa. folks, with a CCW license, we don't have to deal with the waiting period to pick up our pistols.

Jamie
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here in TN an out-of-state birth & using a DL instead of a CCW almost guarantees a delay.
Use your CCW, if you have one, instead of a DL & see if that doesn't make it go away.
View Quote

This is untrue.

I was born in New York City, and I've only received one "delayed" response (and that was buying a .22 at Walmart on a Friday night right before hunting season opened--i.e. practically everyone in the state received a "delayed" response.)

Beyond that, the CCW argument is non-sensical.  Your DL numbers and CCW numbers match--that isn't a coincidence.  Using one is the exact same thing as using the other.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What about VA members. How you had any long waits?

Virginia State Police runs the check in here and i have never had a problem.

Just Lucky so far I guess.
View Quote

No problem for me ever.  Usually 2 minutes on a phone and thats all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
never been delayed, but then again i have never been through the nics system either (i refuse to submit). there is a lot to be said for private sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top