Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2002 9:53:12 AM EDT
I'm thinking of converting one of my lowers into a SBR, along with my .40 S&W upper.

About the only thing holding me back from doing it is the notion that the $200 tax stamp, and the BATF forms would put a bigger red flag by my name as far as the gov't was concerned. (or put a red flag there at all)

Of course, I've  bought NICS guns. But supposedly, all those records have been destroyed. I'm thinking "Yeah, RIGHT."

So, do you think registering the SBR increases gov't scrutiny of me, or am I already on their black list for just owning plain vanilla guns????

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ask yourself if the SBR is a legitimate [i]need[/i], or simply a [i]want[/i].

View Quote

It is a legitimate [b]RIGHT[/b].
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as you and I are not each others favorite AR15.comers Garandman (Where was your bible thump'in ass when I was being overrun in that thread, by those defending Vampirism and blood drinking as a sexual fetish yesterday? Where your ultra conservative right wing Christian values might actually have been useful for a change.)

Having said that, I think if there is a list out there, I would imagine that you are already on it,

I'd go ahead and send off the tax form and build my SBR and not worry about it, if I were you.

If you were gonna get flagged, I would think it would be, more so, for being a member and habitual poster on this board, than for building an SBR.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As much as you and I are not each others favorite AR15.comers Garandman (Where was your bible thump'in ass when I was being overrun by those defending Vampirism and blood drinking as a sexual fetish yesterday, where your ultra conservative right wing Christian values might actually have been useful for a change.)
View Quote

LOL!!!!  Sorry, dude.

Was that the NYC vampirism thread?  Sorry - never opened it. I had no interest in it. FWIW, you can go back in there and tell them garandman agrees with you. Drinking blood is indeed whack. [:D]

Unlike the Almighty, I can't be everywhere. [:D]

Having said that, I think if there is a list out there, I would imagine that you are already on it,

I'd go ahead and send off the tax form and build my SBR and not worry about it, if I were you.

If you were gonna get flagged, I would think it would be, more so, for being a member and habitual poster on this board, than for building an SBR.

View Quote

Yer prolly right.

Fer hangin' out with you whacked out gun owners I'll make every list in D.C.

[:D]

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
As messed up and incomplete as the NFA registry is, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they could even account for all of the licensed SBR's and machineguns.  And they've already admitted that they have been keeping the gun info from NICS checks, so you're already on somebody's list if you've bought a gun from a dealer in the past few years.  I'd go ahead and do it if you really want the gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Garandman,

I had this same delima consitering getting a surpressor. But, then I relized I have a CHL. I'm on the big list. .  it's public info and lsited on my driving record. . . do you have a CHL?

Also, before I got my CHL, I was concerned about the same thing. . .  but, I have bought most (err umm, I mean, all. . . yeah) of my guns on form 4473's like a good subject. Think about this, the Gov. requires the dealer to keep EVERY 4473, and if the dealer ever goes out of bussiness, they are required to turn them in. You think they just burn'em? -So, have you ever purchased a gun on a form 4473?

Ok, now NICS. you call, they get all your info, put it in a computer, and you think the info magically goes away ones the check is complete?  -Why? what is to make them delete it? is there ANYONE, and agency, group, etc. that has EVER checked that?

I REALLY try not to ware the tinfoil hat to much, but seriusly, how likely is it they don't KNOW you have guns.  You will be putting yourself on ONE MORE list however, by going NFA, but that list can also be viewed by the .gov as a list of people that will be VERY agaist any anti-gun anti-Constitution crap they might try to pull. That can be a bad thing for you, but I think it is a good thing for US (gun owners, Americans). I consiter it to be like voting. They know who you voted agaist, and they know it's one more pro-gun statistic they have to deal with. Make since?

What if the number of people with NFA items and CHL's doubled? I think they will notice, and it could have a positive effect on future laws/politics.

Oh, and unless you use cash for all your purchases, if they have intrest in you, they can find out what they want EASILLY from your banks.

That's my take after having to make the same decision.

-Justin

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks sparky and JTR.

Good solid logic.

I've decided I'll not let the tax stamp stop me from doing it.

ANd YES, 1 more Class III owner on the list prolly is a good thing.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup -  I list in my online BIO's under hobbies, stamp collector. However - I don't mention they are all "Series of 1934".
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top