Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 7:57:36 PM EDT
I asked this in another thread, but I thought it would get more discussion as its own topic.

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to access the NFA registry? I see so much speculation on this forum about what may or may not exist and in what quantity. Surely there is a list somewhere. Who has access to it? Only the ATF?

Obviously, we don't have any business knowing who has what and where, but I don't see what harm could come of knowing what all is out there. Maybe I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been wondering this exact same thing.  I don't want to know who owns what -- just curious about how many of what is out there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Your local popo station should tell you what NFA weapons they own.

If not sue them. They are a public agency.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Your local popo station should tell you what NFA weapons they own.

If not sue them. They are a public agency.

CRC

I was thinking more along the lines of transferrable pieces in civilian hands.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry boys, those are tax records.

EDIT: Beat by 38 seconds
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There was an article that someone posted here about the number of machine guns in this country. They had the exact number of registered MG, and they even knew which state had the most (oddly enough, I think it was CA).

They know who has what and how many of each there are in circulation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There was an article that someone posted here about the number of machine guns in this country. They had the exact number of registered MG, and they even knew which state had the most (oddly enough, I think it was CA).

They know who has what and how many of each there are in circulation.

BATF released those figures. Not that the registry is accurate....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes but your local Sheriff Dept or PD should be able to tell you yes we have "x of MP-5s for the ERT Team, ect."

CRC
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, it is not possible to access the NFA registry. Registration forms are considered confidential tax documents and aren't released to the public. Besides, the registry is in such a mess do you really think the BATF would open it up to the public even if they could

Of course the details of who owns what should be confidential, but I just don't see the harm in simply knowing what all is transferrable.  

What makes the registry messy?  Is it just typical .gov paperwork and record-keeping practices?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
This is not a straight answer, but a rant. For years (and perhaps even today) BATFE agents engaged in systematic fraud and perjury by testifying in court in NFA cases that the registry was complete (and that Mr. Jones's MG wasn't on the registry and was therefore illegally possessed) despite the fact that every single person who so testified knew that the registry has always been incomplete and that there have always been an unknown number of MGs out there, for which the owners held papers, which were not listed in the NFA registry. I hope that each of those bastards and the lawyers who instructed them will die a sudden, violent and painful death, and that God will subject each of them to everlasting torment.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]

There are tons of instances where machinegun dealers have been inventoried by the BATF and the records didn't match up. Guns that had been long sold were still shown by the BATF to be in inventory, or guns in inventory were never shown to have been transferred.

This happens to individuals on occasion as well which is why it is so important to keep your original documents as proof that you have a legally registered weapon.

I wasn't aware of that.  Pretty scary to think about having an NFA weapon and not having all your ducks in a row.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top