Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/5/2013 9:23:54 AM EDT
I just called today to check on a Form 1. The woman on the phone said if I sent an application in today, it would take 12 months. She said they currently have 46,000 applications backlogged. She said applications received back in January 2013 will take 9 months.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure the e-forms will speed this up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Boy, it sure is a good thing they are making speeding up the process such a priority.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
A right delayed is a right denied.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
They should have some way to have it instantly approved............
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What is 46000 x $200?

That will pay for some Bonuses...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a joke. The paper work could all be handled at the LGS. My last can took from Jan 3/13 to July 1/13 and was in my hand on July 9th.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boy, it sure is a good thing they are making speeding up the process such a priority.  
View Quote

As they have explained the process they don't really do anything more than the instant background check you get with any other firearm purchase that uses the instant check.  Yet somehow they are unable to efficiently process these even though there's a $200 check stapled to it.

If you paid a guy 5% of the fee to get it processed he'd get the backlog cleared in a month and be waiting for the new flood of near instant NFA applications.  The fact that this isn't done let's everyone know what the real goal is.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A Right does not require a permission slip.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that too.  And the fact that the tax is $3,500 inflation adjusted.  The design and the implementation make the goal clear.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
So happy I got my stamp when I did, keep in mind I sent it in November, pending in December. Received in June.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The whole process is a joke that needs to go away.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure the e-forms will speed this up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is 46000 x $200?

View Quote

I'm sure that the Obama administration will use that additional revenue to hire more NFA examiners.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is 46000 x $200?

View Quote

The stamp tax money goes into the general fund, not to the ATF and certainly not to NFA Branch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How hard is it to run a background check and check a few pieces of paper?
View Quote
Pretty damn hard when there are only nine examiners for the entire nation.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Also, this is not surprising.

With the influx of recent applications, that's about where I'd expect to see it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I sent in a Form 1 April 14, 2013 and delivered April 22, 2013.

It went pending JULY 5TH!!!! Almost 3 MONTHS FROM mailing...complete BS!
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The whole process is a joke that needs to go away.
View Quote

I agree, but we know that is not going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#24]
My Oct and Nov Forms were reviewed in less than six months time. One was delayed though due to a mental fart of mine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially even when you have to pay a $200 tax. Having to pay $200 it should be instant.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is a big part of the problem..
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]
If they're a year backlogged then that is the cue for everyone to backlog them some more.  Put them in the situation of being backlogged two years because it's the only way to get the public's attention.  The federal control system feeds off complacency, so they manage the complacency level of the public.  If 100,000 voting americans are told to wait two years for some measly form, that's something even mindless pro NFA congressidiots can't ignore.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is 46000 x $200?

View Quote

$9.2M in NFA taxes for what.....maybe 12 months worth of applications?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#29]
If there is no legal requirement (is there) for the ATF to process these in any particular timetable, what is to prevent them from slowing down even further? At what point is legal action due to the delay possible?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#30]
talk about an antiquated system. no reason this cannot be done in 24 hours or less.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Screw the Unconstitutional NFA and to hell with all the shits who support it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If there is no legal requirement (is there) for the ATF to process these in any particular timetable, what is to prevent them from slowing down even further? At what point is legal action due to the delay possible?
View Quote

ATF has testified before Congress that it takes six months to process the forms and Congress was A-OK with that timeline.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If they're a year backlogged then that is the cue for everyone to backlog them some more.  Put them in the situation of being backlogged two years because it's the only way to get the public's attention.  The federal control system feeds off complacency, so they manage the complacency level of the public.  If 100,000 voting americans are told to wait two years for some measly form, that's something even mindless pro NFA congressidiots can't ignore.
View Quote

You think the current administration (and Senate for that matter) gives a shit about getting machineguns and suppressors to commoners more quickly?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....And yet they hire 16,000 new IRS agents for OBAMACARE.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ATF has testified before Congress that it takes six months to process the forms and Congress was A-OK with that timeline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if it is now a year, we assume Congress would be A-OK with that as well? What about two years...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So, if it is now a year, we assume Congress would be A-OK with that as well? What about two years...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they would be.

Look, I hate the NFA.  Hate it.  But it's doing exactly what it was setup to do: discourage people from buying/making NFA items.  Congress is not going to be up in arms because I can't get a suppressor in less than a year.  The courts aren't going to give a damn.  And no politician is going to go out and state in front of his constituents that he wants to make it easier and faster for people to get machineguns.  So we're pretty fucked.

I have quite a few NFA items and the wait times won't stop me, but they will definitely stop newcomers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Newly made suppressors is whats probably slowing the system down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You think the current administration (and Senate for that matter) gives a shit about getting machineguns and suppressors to commoners more quickly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously most of the federal system doesn't want regular citizens owning "unapproved" property, but a two year wait time would get it on the nightly national news.  This is about publicly establishing the atf as what it is, a cabal designed to stop/prevent/reduce civilian gun ownership.  Most of the public still thinks the atf is "legitimate law enforcement."
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That is ridiculous.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Obviously most of the federal system doesn't want regular citizens owning "unapproved" property, but a two year wait time would get it on the nightly national news.  This is about publicly establishing the atf as what it is, a cabal designed to stop/prevent/reduce civilian gun ownership.  Most of the public still thinks the atf is "legitimate law enforcement."
View Quote

Yeah, right. I'm sure a major network will do a segment on the horrible injustice of people having to wait longer to get their machineguns and suppressors, etc. The media always feels sorry for us about this kind of thing.

Get real, man. I agree with you and everyone else that the wait times are ridiculous, but nobody in the mainstream media will even give it a second look.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What is 46000 x $200?

View Quote

Money goes into the general treasury. That is why they are so behind...nothing has been done to hasten the procedure.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I remember my first form 4 took 30days mail box to mail box.. damn times have changed
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#45]
They should have a shorter process for those already in the system.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#46]
THEY don't care.  I suspect that someone on high is deliberately ignoring the increasing backlog.  These after all are deadly machine guns, silencers, and short-barreled rifles.  You think this administration wants people to have this stuff?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, then some of you that have paperwork pending start filing lawsuits!
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

With CNN/MSNBC catering to soccer moms, any pro-NFA legislation is toxic.

"Oh the huge manatee, some extremist legislators want to legalize the fast PURCHASE OF A SILENCER."
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go home, Pat - you're drunk.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, right. I'm sure a major network will do a segment on the horrible injustice of people having to wait longer to get their machineguns and suppressors, etc. The media always feels sorry for us about this kind of thing.

Get real, man. I agree with you and everyone else that the wait times are ridiculous, but nobody in the mainstream media will even give it a second look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say the media would feel sorry for us, only that it would get on the nightly news.  It would start with some smaller network, maybe get picked up by fox news, then at some point one of our half dozen decent congressmen introduces legislation or an amendment to must pass legislation that DOES get it on the national news.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top