Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 3:03:00 PM EDT

U.S. soldiers of the army infantry from the Stryker brigade walk through the streets during patrol in Mosul, northern Iraq, July 29, 2005. Two U.S. soldiers were killed on Thursday when their unit came under attack by small arms fire and rocket propelled grenades in Cykla, about 200 km (124 miles) west of Baghdad, a U.S. military statement said. REUTERS/Andrea Comas

A suicide bomber blew himself up amidst a group of Iraqi army recruits in northern Iraq on Friday, killing 25 people and wounding 35, as Sunni Muslims protested in Baghdad against alleged government torture. Police said the attack occurred outside a municipal building in Rabia, a town 50 miles northwest of Mosul, Iraq's third largest city and a focus of an 18-month-old insurgent campaign against U.S.-backed Iraqi security forces. U.S. Staff Sergeant Adrian Ramirez of the army infantry from the Stryker brigade walks past an Iraqi woman peering from behind a wall during a patrol in Mosul, northern Iraq, July 29, Photo by Andrea Comas/Reuters

Iraqi children run into a house as U.S. Army Private First Class Jeremy Bellanger of the Stryker brigade patrols a street in Mosul, northern Iraq, July 29, 2005. The U.S. hopes to sharply reduce its forces in Iraq by the middle of next year, its top commander on the ground said on Wednesday. REUTERS/Andrea Comas

Colonel Saman Talabani(C) patrols with his soldiers from in May 2005. Talabani, the youngest colonel in Iraq's revamped army, is a slim, grizzled veteran who already has 15 years of combat experience.(AFP/Marwan Naamani)

Kurdish Saman Talabani, 37, the youngest colonel in Iraqi army, talks on his radio during a joint raid operation by US-Iraqi forces in Baquba.(AFP/Liu Jin)

PHOTO LINK
FALLUJAH, IRAQ - JULY 29: Soldiers from the 1st Battalion of the Iraqi Ground Forces Command prepare to raid a home July 29, 2005 in Fallujah, Iraq. The unit, with the help of advisors from the U.S. Army and Marines, is tasked with providing security for the city of Fallujah until a police force can be established. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

An Israeli soldier shouts Palestinian men after the Israeli army closed the Howwara army checkpoint near the West Bank city of Nablus July 29, 2005. Reuters/Abed Omar Qusini

Israeli soldiers arrest a demonstrator during a protest against Israel's controversial barrier in the West Bank village of Bilin near Ramallah July 29, 2005. REUTERS/Loay Abu

Palestinian masked gunmen of the Ahmed Abu Alrish Brigades, a militant group with ties to Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement, hold rifles during a rally in the Khan Younis refugee camp, in the southern Gaza Strip, Friday, July 29, 2005. Palestinian gunmen on Friday abducted two U.N. contractors, including an Australian woman, holding the pair for three hours in Gaza City before freeing them unharmed. Although no one was seriously hurt in either incident, the unrest reflected the ongoing chaos plaguing the area. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

An Indian paramilitary soldier(L) lies injured whilst troops shoot during a fire-fight in the commercial hub, Budshah Chowk in Srinagar.(AFP/Taussef Mustafa)

An Indian soldier jumps over his comrade during a militant attack in Srinagar July 29, 2005. Fifteen people, including six journalists, were wounded during a fierce gunbattle between troops and Muslim rebels in Srinagar, the biggest city in Indian Kashmir, witnesses said. Photo by Danish Ismail/Reuters

A member of the Ukrainian special forces (L) stands guard while a convict destroys illegal marihuana plants in Snezhnoe, some 110 km (968 miles) north of Donetsk, July 29, 2005. The seized drugs had a street market value of about $30,000, a spokesman said. REUTERS/Alexander Khudotioply

Sri Lanka's Tamil Tiger rebels should take their lead from the Irish Republican Army, lay down their weapons and abandon a two-decade armed struggle for self-rule, the island's government said on July 29, 2005. A Sri Lankan Tamil Tiger rebel is seen during the 'Black Tigers Day' ceremony in the village of Ambalanturai village in Batticaloa, eastern Sri Lanka, in this July 5, 2005 file photo. (Anuruddha Lokuhapuarachchi/Reuters)

A Thai soldier guards a school bus in the largely Muslim province of Yala, about 1,084 km (674 miles) south of Bangkok, July 20, 2005. A militant demand that the Islamic holy day be observed as a day of prayer brought much of a southern Thai province to a halt on Friday. Rubber tappers and merchants in the relatively poor province of Narathiwat, where 80 percent of the 800,000 people depend on rubber for a living, said they were simply too scared to work. Picture taken July 20, 2005. REUTERS/Sukree Sukplang

Zambian soldiers stand guard outside Lusaka's central prison where a British man sought in connection with the July 7 London bombings is being detained. Zambian officials said they were trying to establish the arrested man's identity.(AFP/Mackson Wasamunu)

Peruvian soldiers march during to a military parade in Lima, Peru, on Friday, July 29, 2005, in celebration of their 182th anniversary of Independence. (AP Photo/Karel Navarro)

Mexian army soldiers take cover as they search a house after a shootout Thursday 28, 2005, in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. A group of armed men arriving in several vehicles used machine guns, grenades and even a rocket launcher to attack a home in this violent Mexican border city Thursday night, authorities said.People inside the house are believed to have returned fire with powerful weapons of their own, triggering a massive shootout.(AP Photo)

Federal police and army soldiers search a house after a shootout Thursday 28, 2005, in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. A group of armed men arriving in several vehicles used machine guns, grenades and even a rocket launcher to attack a home in this violent Mexican border city Thursday night, authorities said.People inside the house are believed to have returned fire with powerful weapons of their own, triggering a massive shootout.(AP Photo)

Federal police search a house after a shootout Thursday 28, 2005, in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.A group of armed men arriving in several vehicles used machine guns, grenades and even a rocket launcher to attack a home in this violent Mexican border city Thursday night, authorities said.People inside the house are believed to have returned fire with powerful weapons of their own, triggering a massive shootout. (AP Photo)

A police sniper lines up his weapon as he takes up position in the Notting Hill district of London Friday July 29, 2005, near where police arrested three men after raiding two residences in the area, and said they were connected to the failed July 21 attacks on London's transport network.(AP Photo/Robert Jackson)

Heavily armed police offiicers take up position in the Notting Hill district of London Friday July 29, 2005, near where police arrested three men after raiding two residences in the area, and said they were connected to the failed July 21 attacks on London's transport network.(AP Photo/Robert Jackson)

A heavily armed police offiicer stands near parked vehicles in the Notting Hill district of London Friday July 29, 2005, near where police arrested three men after raiding two residences in the area, and said they were connected to the failed July 21 attacks on London's transport network.(AP Photo/Robert Jackson)
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that Iraqi Colonel in the first picture using a folding stock FAL?

Doesn't look like an AK.

ben
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]

I'd like to see how many of these dudes shoot each other when the truck goes over a speed bump...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Good pics.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Doesn't look like an AK.

ben

Thats because its a folding stock FAL.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, great pics ..
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
AI goodness!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My question is why the Brit sniper and the guy who looks like his spotter are wearing gas masks.  I mean, it seems unlikely they'd need it for the usual things on fire flashbang and intimidation purposes and it seems there are better ways to hide your face than a gas mask. I'd rather not have to use a scoped long rifle in one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My question is why the Brit sniper and the guy who looks like his spotter are wearing gas masks.  I mean, it seems unlikely they'd need it for the usual things on fire flashbang and intimidation purposes and it seems there are better ways to hide your face than a gas mask. I'd rather not have to use a scoped long rifle in one.

Because they're prone in a London gutter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
OUTSTANDING      
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't look like an AK.

ben

He has good tastes in weaponry.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the tactical blue jeans and sneakers!  They must have had very little time to gear up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pics. Like the FAL Para in Iraq.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#15]

this guy is hard corps if he's their youngest, and yet has 15 years combat expirence.

ETA: I wonder if US troops salute him?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]

AWP camper!!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
great pics
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I love the Iraqui guy leading from the front.

He's learning.

Don't order troops anywhere that you aren't willing to go.

Lead from the front.

Good job.

Takes a bit to transition form "Allah akbar" to a sound tactical force.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050729/capt.sge.qew76.290705185328.photo00.photo.default-275x371.jpg?x=255&y=345&sig=lHoxHO1DDnLq5QpD1WxmdA--
this guy is hard corps if he's their youngest, and yet has 15 years combat expirence.

I don't know about salutes, but he is KURDISH, and the Kurds are a good people and can fight.  Their cities are also typically cleaner and better organized than the cities in the rest of Iraq.  I would give this guy his due respect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice pics.

Love that FAL.
I am surprised we don't see more of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
anyone else see the koolaid man ????  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm looking for a pic of the reported rocket launcher used in recent Nuevo Laredo firefight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I like the tactical blue jeans and sneakers!  They must have had very little time to gear up.

Nah, he's just good.  He doesn't need any fancy pants or chest rigs to shoot people from long distances.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Look at those fingers. They are learning something.

Also good to see them standing up and kick'en in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]

When did th e Mexican Army get  Humvees and Mk 19's?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't look like an AK.

ben

In the first pic, the one with 5 Iraqis patrolling with the one US Soldier, the Colonel appears to be carrying an SVD variant.  Intersting that he is wearing a different helmet from the second pic, with no cover and no rank insignia.  Yet, he retains the red shoulder boards on his cammies.  He is also wearing differnt body armor in the second pic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The old lady in the background is thinking the same thing I am. "Now that's an awesome rifle. Me likey. "

Thanks again for sharing Lumpy. good stuff as always!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Great pics lumpy, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The old lady in the background is thinking the same thing I am. "Now that's an awesome rifle. Me likey. "

Actually, she's thinking what I'm thinking:  "Dude, is that Bowflage?"
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Very good as usual!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

An Indian paramilitary soldier(L) lies injured whilst troops shoot during a fire-fight in the commercial hub, Budshah Chowk in Srinagar.(AFP/Taussef Mustafa)

An Indian soldier jumps over his comrade during a militant attack in Srinagar July 29, 2005. Fifteen people, including six journalists, were wounded during a fierce gunbattle between troops and Muslim rebels in Srinagar, the biggest city in Indian Kashmir, witnesses said. Photo by Danish Ismail/Reuters

Are those weird looking hats or weird looking helmets?

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050729/capt.sge.qey09.290705190441.photo00.photo.default-366x280.jpg?x=366&y=280&sig=vQZuGZpBFJAmbA_vQtUutA--
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050729/i/r3908667907.jpg?x=274&y=345&sig=pvd04mqF7sPq_R1OGCsMbQ--

us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050729/i/r2185311570.jpg?x=380&y=263&sig=3C8FTcbOLDJUYz6etUAReg--

Are those weird looking hats or weird looking helmets?

Those are the same helmets the rebels wore on Endor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#37]
They got a smoking deal on Star Wars rebel helmets...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
They got a smoking deal on Star Wars rebel helmets...

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20050729/capt.sge.qew76.290705185328.photo00.photo.default-275x371.jpg?x=255&y=345&sig=lHoxHO1DDnLq5QpD1WxmdA--

Kurds usually get their rank from their position in their tribe, this guys' last name is Talabani, so I'm guessing he's Talabani , his last name just tells me that he got it by being related to someone that's waaay up on the tribal food chain.

Saying that he's a kurdish colonel in the iraqi army is about as impressive to me as telling me he just graduated from kindergarten.

Also, if you're kurdish in iraq, you've got combat experience.  they've only been trying to kill all of them for the past few decades or so.

Further, the photos showed him carrying a Dragunov, what the fuck is a colonel going to do with a Drag?  In the second one it's showing him carrying an FAL, really exotic over here, especially for iraqi army.  

he's doing it for show, probably because there's a camera nearby.  the retard is smoking on a patrol, way to set an example sir.  there is no cultural excuse for poor performance and he just exudes incompetence, everything i see about him tells me he's all show-no go.

there's no fucking way i would salute an iraqi anything.

ETA: nice photos as usual Lumpy, sorry I got carried away.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050729/capt.lon82707291542.britain_bombings_lon827.jpg?x=380&y=247&sig=NugbHfYcK.bUcIw9ubGp7Q--

AWP camper!!  

i dont know how many got it but i did lol

yay! someone got my funny but obscure reference!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#43]
How did AMD65's end up in Mexico? And is that a Hummer the mexican police are using?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I was just about to post the same thing concerning the AMD65s in MEXICO
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Lumpy, once again, you are the man! thanks for all the great pictures.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#46]
The second pic would be good for photoshoping..  Check out the old lady's hand.   She needs a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top